What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

I was fortunate to be part of the Savannah Music Festival again this year- the final concert for the "Savannah Swing" portion was tonight and I had the honor of sharing the stage with Marcus Roberts, Aaron Diehl, Bill Peterson, Dave Bales, Dave Stryker, Rodney Whitaker, Jeff Eckels, Rodney Jordan, Terell Stafford, Sean Jones, Jon Faddis, Jim Ketch, Herlin Riley, Jason Marsalis, Leon Anderson, Ron Westray, Wycliffe Gordon, Jack Wilkins and Bill Kennedy. *whew*......there was a lot of music up there tonight- I am indeed a lucky man.

Edited by Free For All

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wolter Wierbos, playing solo, I presume.

On the rare occasion when an internationally-known improviser of this caliber accidentally finds his way to Atlanta, it's apparently supposed to be kept top secret. It was a lot of trouble to find out when and where Mr. Wierbos is playing tonight. One "view map" link led to a location across town from the stated address; I guess they were afraid an audience might show up and ruin the experience. But I persevered, and am 90% certain that if I show up at a certain location at a certain time tonight, I might get to hear Wolter Wierbos.

Mike Reed, Matt Bauder, Jeb Bishop, and Matt Schneider last night at The Hideout. Before, one of the bandmembers told me that they'd been in the studio for three days and still hadn't figured out what they were doing to his satisfaction -- free improv on a dance-tune base, it seemed, with Reed the leader providing sketches of the dance bases. Well, they sure got it together on the stand last night. Very coherent and sometimes explosive, Bauder in great form on tenor and clarinet, careful listening by everyone in what one has come to expect as the Chicago Scene manner. Kudos to all but especially, I would think, to Reed for assembling these four guys, whom I don't recall playing together much it at all before, other than Bishop and Reed. Of course Bauder isn't around to play with these days, unless he's here on a visit. He's always impressed me as a kind of latter-day Shorter -- at times in terms of sound but mostly in terms of spirit, the early Shorter, the Masked Marauder.

March 30th I caught Falu at the Rubin Museum in Manhattan. Interesting place, a museum devoted to Himalayan art. They had a lounge with drinks and an Indian DJ playing some Bollywood style stuff. Falu is originally from Mumbai, and her music has moved much towards traditional Indian music lately. This concert was part of a series called 'Naked Soul', and there were no amps or mics. The room was heavily paneled and the acoustics seemed great. The band's sound was beautifully balanced as well, and Falu sang wonderfully, with the band moving as one through the various pieces played. She has a bassist, guitar, harmonium, tabla, percussion and violin/guitar.

Tomorrow 4/14 @ Jazz Gallery NYC:

Angelica Sanchez Trio with Angelica on piano with Tony Malaby (saxophones) and Tom Rainey on drums.

next week 4/21 Han Bennink 70th Birthday Celebration @ Columbia University and then Mat Maneri Quintet @ Cornelia Street on 4/28.

seeing the drummers Rainey, Bennink and Peterson is some treat.

Even though I have seen Rainey twice over the past month or so, I would go see the man every week he is that great.

Angelica Sanchez: piano

Tony Malaby: tenor and soprano saxophones

Tom Rainey: drums

last night @ Jazz Gallery

first set nice first 25 minutes which I think were Angelica's tunes - with Malaby switching back and forth from soprano to tenor. Then a great longer piece with Malaby starting and ending on the straight horn with explosive tenor improvisations over Rainey on brushes, sticks and hands with Sanchez hinting at what would come later.

second of the two short sets (each 45 minutes) was what I found out was a Malaby tune and I knew when Tony turned the little light off above his music stand that we might hear something completely different.

35 minutes of the sound of surprise - all of it - Sanchez hit her groove with some insane vampish thing and the other two AGAIN blew my mind - Malaby is the most unpredictable saxophonist I know - on both horns the music went everywhere - with loud bombastic skronking with Rainey blasting the toms and bass drum to a great extended soprano improv with Rainey sloing building a hypnotic groove often only with just a small stick hitting the rim of his snare - just marevelous

ending piece a warped ballad - and that was it...nice night too small a crowd for some of the greatest musicians alive performing this music....

Alan Barnes with the Gerry Tomlinson Trio at Whitefield this afternoon.

Alan was in a good mood as his CDs, particularly the new one,

51vZiRiRlIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

were selling like hot cakes. This, together with last night's gig in Huddersfield, this afternoon's in Whitefield and tonight's in Stratford on Avon will help keep the wolf from his door. :w

Howard Alden and Jeanne Gies at Wilmslow, Cheshire this evening.

Really looking forward to this one on the basis of these clips, the second filmed 4 days ago on the present tour:

Yeah, it was great. Alden is a total master of the instrument and Ms Gies an impeccable interpreter of the Great American Songbook. :tup

Edited by BillF

On Friday the 13th I got very lucky musically. I went to see Dr. John at the Brooklyn Academy of Music(BAM)and caught a verrrrry funky night of Nawlins music. As guests, the good doctor had Irma Thomas, Donald Harrison,Nicholas Payton,Dirty Dozen Brass band, Ivan Neville and maybe a couple other folks I can't remember. All the guests did a few tunes each with the good doctor, and the evening started out on a high note(When the lights went down I was looking at the stage from my balcony seat, and then I saw everyone looking at the main aisle in the orchestra section.Well, here comes Dr. john leading the march up the aisle with the Dirty Doxen Brass Band playing- magical!)and stayed there all night. Some highlights among many were Dr. John & Nicholas Payton doing a duet, the opening tune, with no bassist but TWO bari saxes(Ronnie Cuber + the guy from Dirty Dozen) and a sousaphone, Irma Thomas doing 'You can have my husband but leave my man alone' and many others. A GREAT night of music in my beloved Brooklyn.

Tonight: Saxophonist Azar Lawrence Quintet featuring Jeff (Tain) Watts on drums, Benito Gonzalez in piano, Essiet Essiet on bass and Gilbert Castellanos on trumpet. Jazz Cafe at Music Hall in downtown Detroit. I've never heard Lawrence live. Gonzalez plays out of a McCoy bag and has impressed me on record, most recently on the new Kenny Garrett disc, but haven't heard him live either that I can recall. Trumpeter is new to me.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Tonight: Saxophonist Azar Lawrence Quintet featuring Jeff (Tain) Watts on drums, Benito Gonzalez in piano, Essiet Essiet on bass and Gilbert Castellanos on trumpet. Jazz Cafe at Music Hall in downtown Detroit. I've never heard Lawrence live. Gonzalez plays out of a McCoy bag and has impressed me on record, most recently on the new Kenny Garrett disc, but haven't heard him live either that I can recall. Trumpeter is new to me.

Gilbert Castellanos is a mainstay in San Diego.

Yes, a great session. Particulary impressed by the snap-crackle drumming à la Roy Haynes of Gene Jackson. The "standards" in their name seems to be a bit of shrewd marketing aimed at a particular kind of audience - in fact, their repertoire contained originals and "standards" covered included Ornette Coleman's "Turnaround"! As John Fordham remarks in his very favorable Guardian review above, standards are never more than a starting point with this group.

Edited by BillF

Atlanta's 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra, of which I'm a member, opened for Matt Moran's Slavic Soul Party tonight, in their first Atlanta appearance. It was intense. Matt is probably better known as a vibist (with the Claudia Quintet, among other ensembles), but he plays bass drum with this fabulous ensemble.

Slavic%2BSoul%2BParty.jpg

Edited by jeffcrom