What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

What would you suggest? I'm just curious.

I don't know his middle name, but A.X. Cohen or something along those lines. 

One of the Simpsons/Futurama writers has to go by David X. Cohen, because there already was a David S. Cohen in the Writers' Guild!  David S. would have used his actual name.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom Rainey Trio with Ingrid Laubrock & Mary Halvorsen @ Cornelia Street Cafe (aka bowling alley room - thanks to Larry Kart for that!!) 

the room is skinny, wait staff attitude and competence varies. Music is usually great. Tom, Ingrid & Mary fit nicely on the little stage/bandstsnd(sic) and I wouldn't have it any other way?

Fwiw, wait staff was pleasant, room still skinny, music was astounding!

nice to see and chat with Clifford and his friend - also again I'm very humbled to be sitting within a few feet of one of the greatest guitarists I've ever heard one more time. The experience continues to be priceless to me. I'm not denigrating the fine playing/muscianship of Rainey & Laubrock, but Mary Halvorson, for me, is creating music on some other alternate universe level. 

And the sound itself - continues to wow me. The whole organic approach of the single note runs, rhythm playing and the use of the pedals, a bit of slide playing in one of the three second set pieces, and the power chord inventions - all add up to the whole package. I left last night extremely refreshed and inspired. Not sure this trio is better each time - not sure different - I'm just sure it is wonderous and of it's own sound and space. Very nice when a band is unlike anything else.

For those interested, Hotel Grief (Intakt) was recorded on 12/30/14 @ Cornelia Street - and this is one live recording that *does* give a decent approximation of what the band sounds like live. 

The last seven days at the Vancouver International Jazz Festival have been delightfully busy.  Let me tick off some of the better performances I heard.  One standout was the Alexander Hawkins Trio, featuring the brilliant young English pianist (who also posts on Organissimo).  George Graewe, who was heard earlier with Evan Parker, played in another trio with two Vancouver musicians, drummer Dylan van der Schyff and saxophonist John Paton.  The very young Paton is someone to watch in the coming years.  Then Graewe showed up a third time for a solo performance.

Perhaps the quirkiest group I heard is Donkey Monkey, from France.  Eve Risser was on piano, Yuko Ishima on drums, and both contributed vocals.  I also enjoyed a fiery set by the Polish trumpeter Piotr Damasiewicz and his quintet.  Benoit Delbecq came in from France and played with Vancouver stalwarts Francois Houle on clarinet and Gordon Grdina on guitar and oud.  Mats Eilertson, the Norwegian bassist, had Harmen Fraanje, a Dutch pianist, in his trio.

The Israeli pianist Anat Fort performed in two duos, one with the sweetly innovative vocalist Ayelet Rose Gottlieb, and one with Gianluigi Trovesi on clarinets.  As is often the case, I found Fort more impressive in person than on her records.  (Of course, after hearing someone live, I go back to their records and find I like them more than before.)

Rachel Thierren, a trumpet player from Montreal who is now based in New York, was also very impressive with her quintet.  Francois Houle returned in a duo with pianist Mattias Risberg from Sweden.  Vinny Golia jammed with Dylan van der Schyff and Vancouver bassist Clyde Reed.  Endangered Blood (Oscar Noriega, Chris Speed, Trevor Dunn & Jim Black) provided one of the most energetic performances of the festival.  Noriega and Speed were also joined by their Brooklyn brothers in the Mexican brass band Banda de los Muertos.

Matthew Halsall & the Gondwana Orchestra, a sextet from Manchester, played "spiritual jazz," which I guess means largely modal pieces with a harp.  Terell Stafford joined the Cory Weeds Quintet for a hard bop set emphasizing Lee Morgan tunes.

Tomeka Reid came in to direct the "TD Intensive" workshops with an elite assembly of high school students and then directed them in a free outdoor concert.  This was not your typical high school band.  They played original compositions and others by MIsha Mengelberg, Nicole Mitchell and MIchael Moore.  This serves as another reminder that the jazz can be expected to thrive for years to come.  Then Tomeka Reid was heard with her outstanding quartet (Mary Halvorson, Tomas Fujiwara & Jason Roebke).  After her turn with Reid, Halvorson played a very successful improvised set with trumpeter JP Carter and drummer Skye Brooks, plus the former Vancouver bass player Tommy Babin (now living in San Diego).

Vancouver has more than its share of good jazz musicians, and of course many of them were featured in the festival.  Among them were the Malleus Trio, with saxophonist Dominic Conway, and a quintet led by Geoff Claridge on reeds.  Pianist Tyson Naylor put together a quartet tribute to Paul Bley.  Guitarist Andre Lachance (who doubles on bass) had a fine quartet with Brad Turner (primarily, I think, a trumpeter) on keyboards, Chris Gestrin on Moog, and Joe Poole on drums.  The Boys of BenRiach (named after a favorite Scotch whisky) were led by the trumpeter Kevin Elaschuk.  (That was the first time I've seen a trumpet player clip a CD to the bell of his horn in lieu of a mute.)  Guitarist Ron Samworth led a special project, "Dogs Do Dream," in tunes that sought to reproduce the stuff of canine dreams.

In a non-festival event in a shitty, sweaty little club in Chinatown, Gordon Grdina (guitar and oud) played a blistering duo set with Jim Black on drums, and another set with his trio, augmented by Oscar Noriega.  Saxophonist Mike Allen and his quartet led nightly jam sessions at a more elegant club called Frankie's.

All this, and I still managed to miss some quality acts, like the Arild Andersen Trio and Gordon Grdina's Middle Eastern jazz band Haram.  The Vancouver festival, now in its 31st year, has to be one of the best in the world.  The city itself is a great place to visit, especially in the summer.  So if you haven't been to Vancouver, consider putting it on your bucket list  

9 hours ago, BillF said:

Have a good evening! :tup

Thanks. Kofi-Barnes' first set was great, starting off with Barnes' 'Peverill Point', dedicated to the local landmark. Caught Ian Shaw's last set and also a real hoot of a show by the Budapest Ragtime Orchestra (!). The average age in the 'trad' marquee looked to be less than that of the 'modernist' marquee (:o) !

Some good stuff to come tomorrow. Sadly, Bobby Wellins had to cancel due to illness - Stan Sultzmann is depping for him.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

More at Swanage today - Mark Nightingale, Tim Garland, Stan Sultzmann and later on a JATP tribute/knees up and Keith Nichols' excellent Blue Devils orchestra with their 'Harlem Nights'.

Looks like you're doing pretty well at Swanage. I could put together the best part of a day's listening that suits my tastes there, which I certainly couldn't do at any accessible festival round here. A new regime has taken over the Southport Feb. festival and put on Fabien Mary, who's a great favourite of mine, from 10:30 to midnight, which I can't make. An email to the organiser saying at least I could go on listening to Monsieur Mary's excellent albums, brought a plug for the Southport Premier Inn!

conception.jpg

Sadly, they mentioned tonight that next year's Swanage event is likely to be the last. Some problem with the rights to the venue location and having to find an alternative I think. Ironic, as the quality of the music today was superb and as good as I've ever witnessed there.. :(

Your fave Robert Fowler was on good form tonight Bill, with Mr Barnes and co.

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Sadly, they mentioned tonight that next year's Swanage event is likely to be the last. Some problem with the rights to the venue location and having to find an alternative I think. Ironic, as the quality of the music today was superb and as good as I've ever witnessed there.. :(

Your fave Robert Fowler was on good form tonight Bill, with Mr Barnes and co.

So Swanage joins the list of folding festivals. Sad! Employment opportunities for jazz musicians dwindle constantly, it seems. Better listen while I can, so it's Greg Abate and Alan Barnes at Cheadle Hulme on the 25th. And there's always the movies!

http://homemcr.org/event/jazz-on-film/

Maybe they will resolve things with a new venue but I wouldn't bet money on it - that beachfront location was a major plus.

Greg Abate is performing again this afternoon with Quartet. Missed the Barnes/Abate yesterday, it clashed with Tim Garland. Choices..

Maybe they will resolve things with a new venue but I wouldn't bet money on it - that beachfront location was a major plus.

Greg Abate is performing again this afternoon with Quartet. Missed the Barnes/Abate yesterday, it clashed with Tim Garland. Choices..

Highlight today - Gareth Williams and Trish Clowes' co-op group 'Glow Quartet' in the Methodist church venue. Lyrical, inventive and superb !

Very fine performance as well by Art Themen's group with Steve Fishwick sharing the front line. Gareth Williams was in that one too.

Most versatile performer of the fest (and a standout) - Amy Roberts.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Highlight today - Gareth Williams and Trish Clowes' co-op group 'Glow Quartet' in the Methodist church venue. Lyrical, inventive and superb !

Very fine performance as well by Art Themen's group with Steve Fishwick sharing the front line. Gareth Williams was in that one too.

Most versatile performer of the fest (and a standout) - Amy Roberts.

Amy Roberts is a product of Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. I first saw her in a Basie-style student big band at the college with Alan Barnes as guest leader. Why was she whispering in the ear of the saxophonist next to her in the section, I wondered. Turned out she was singing riffs which the whole band gradually took up. Kansas City lives!

Interesting - a very naturally gifted musician. Particularly liked her flute work. One of few at Swanage who can work with equal comfort in both trad and modern marquees. Part of the sax lineup in Keith Nichols' Blue Devils playing 20s/30s stuff yesterday, then doing Gillespie numbers with ease this afternoon in her joint venture quintet. :cool:

Edited by sidewinder

On 7/10/2016 at 7:11 PM, sidewinder said:

Looking forward to that group in Sheffield later in the year. I've seen Clowes a couple of times recently and really like her three records. Not just a good player but an interesting writer who draws from beyond jazz. 

Just missed Abate by a day in St. Ives. Did get to see:

011.jpg

Kevin Figes Quartet (St Ives Jazz Club)

KEVIN FIGES (alto), JIM BLOMFIELD (pn), A sub whose name I missed (electric bass), MARK WHITLAM (dm)

Good evening of modal/fusiony jazz with Figes playing alto throughout (last time I saw him in the same venue he used baritone as well). Very nice keyboards from Blomfield - mainly a Nord that seemed to be able to usher a range of sounds from the 60s/70s but also some proper piano. Impressive drummer too. 

Read in the blurb that Figes was taught by Elton Dean. 

On 23/03/2016 at 3:22 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Tomorrow night @ Rubin Museum of Art in NYC @ 7:00

Ches Smith Trio with Craig Taborn & Mat Maneri

Just saw this trio last tuesday at the Sunside in Paris towards the end of their tour in Europe! Intimate experience in the tight concert hall for very powerful music which has stuck with me during the last couple of days. Two full sets and all in top form. It was great to see Mat Maneri so enthusiastic during one of Craig Taborn's high speed solos. I wish concerts like this happened more often!

Making a Greeley-esque pilgrimage from mountain-shadowed eastern coal fields to that beacon of bluegrass enlightenment, Lou-u-vuhl, for to see Forecastle...should be a sun-groping, small batch drinking, stupendous good time on the Waterfront!/  peace,K 

http://forecastlefest.com/?_ga=1.139835123.1318383424.1468513963