What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10 June 2016 at 8:48 AM, BillF said:

Teamed up with fellow Org member Sidewinder in Sale, Greater Manchester to see Lady Sings the Blues, a celebration of Billie Holiday by singer Wiseman, ably supported by Alan Barnes, Bruce Adams, Roy Williams, Brian Dee and Len Skeat.

:tup  A fine evening !  Without my sat-nav working I would still be driving around outer Metro Manchester..:rolleyes:

From what I can gather, looks like Val Wiseman has been running that particular show since the late 80s with various lineups. Looks like the tour extends over the North and East Midlands. 

Edited by sidewinder

Bill Cole Trio, Matthew Shipp Trio - Atlas Theater, Washington DC

Saw a doubleheader last night. Bill Cole's double reeds are guaranteed to wake one up. He was joined by Ras Moshe on flute, soprano sax and tenor sax, and Stephanie Griffin on viola. 

Following Bill Cole was the Matthew Shipp Trio with bassist Michael Bision and new drummer Newman Taylor Baker. I think I prefer Taylor Baker to the departed  Whit Dickey.  Matt gave his usual monster performance.

A cool surprise was when the two trios joined forces for an exciting encore, worth the price admission alone. A satisfying evening. 

Last night I attended the McCoy Tyner tribute concert at Davies Symphony Hall in SF.  The evening began with a performance of "Fly With The Wind" by Mr. Tyner himself, who received a standing ovation upon entering and exiting the stage.  He also played a number with Joe Lovano.  Then the parade of pianists began -- Marcus Roberts, Benny Green, Taylor Eigsti, Geri Allen, Kenny Barron and Chick Corea.  Each pianist played one or two numbers (Mr. Roberts and Mr. Green played a duo number on the two pianos on stage), focusing on Mr. Tyner's compositions.  Mr. Eigsti played "Effendi", Ms. Allen played "You Taught My Heart To Sing" and Mr. Barron played "Blues Back".  Mr. Corea played his "Children's Song No. 12", which he said was inspired by the playing of Mr. Tyner.  The concert ended with a duo number by Mr. Corea and Mr. Tyner.

The encore found all the pianists and Mr. Lovano back onstage together for a run through of "In A Mellow Tone".  Every one took turns in pairs on one of the two pianos, although some rather reluctantly.  At one point they had McCoy Tyner and Kenny Barron on one piano and Chick Corea and Marcus Roberts on the other.  Not great music making, but fun nonetheless.

6 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Last night I attended the McCoy Tyner tribute concert at Davies Symphony Hall in SF.  The evening began with a performance of "Fly With The Wind" by Mr. Tyner himself, who received a standing ovation upon entering and exiting the stage.  He also played a number with Joe Lovano.  Then the parade of pianists began -- Marcus Roberts, Benny Green, Taylor Eigsti, Geri Allen, Kenny Barron and Chick Corea.  Each pianist played one or two numbers (Mr. Roberts and Mr. Green played a duo number on the two pianos on stage), focusing on Mr. Tyner's compositions.  Mr. Eigsti played "Effendi", Ms. Allen played "You Taught My Heart To Sing" and Mr. Barron played "Blues Back".  Mr. Corea played his "Children's Song No. 12", which he said was inspired by the playing of Mr. Tyner.  The concert ended with a duo number by Mr. Corea and Mr. Tyner.

The encore found all the pianists and Mr. Lovano back onstage together for a run through of "In A Mellow Tone".  Every one took turns in pairs on one of the two pianos, although some rather reluctantly.  At one point they had McCoy Tyner and Kenny Barron on one piano and Chick Corea and Marcus Roberts on the other.  Not great music making, but fun nonetheless.

Sounds like a great evening.

11 hours ago, BFrank said:

Sounds like a great evening.

I would say it was an enjoyable evening rather than a great evening of music.  Because there were so many performers involved, they each had to do their number or two and move right along to the next musician.  In addition to the music, though, each of the pianists spoke of their respect for McCoy Tyner and of the influence his music has had on their own music and lives.  It was nice to hear these heartfelt sentiments expressed by these artists in honor of an artist we probably all respect & admire. 

I have to admit, I was quite surprised by Mr. Tyner's appearance these days.  It's been years since I last saw him perform, but if I had passed him on the street yesterday, I never would have recognized him.  He has changed considerably from the man I first started seeing "live" some 20 years ago when he would have those 2 week long residencies at Yoshi's.  I hope his health has stabilized.  His playing on his solo number was strong, so he must still be practicing to keep his chops up.  His website shows some concert appearances scheduled for Sept. - Dec., but I really am not sure if that is for this year or perhaps left over from last year.  I'm a bit dubious if he would still have the stamina to do a full concert, based upon what I saw last night.

It was not the greatest concert I've ever been to musically (although it certainly had its fine moments), but it was a very special event and I'm glad I was able to attend.

Edited by duaneiac

11 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I would say it was an enjoyable evening rather than a great evening of music.  Because there were so many performers involved, they each had to do their number or two and move right along to the next musician.  In addition to the music, though, each of the pianists spoke of their respect for McCoy Tyner and of the influence his music has had on their own music and lives.  It was nice to hear these heartfelt sentiments expressed by these artists in honor of an artist we probably all respect & admire. 

I have to admit, I was quite surprised by Mr. Tyner's appearance these days.  It's been years since I last saw him perform, but if I had passed him on the street yesterday, I never would have recognized him.  He has changed considerably from the man I first started seeing "live" some 20 years ago when he would have those 2 week long residencies at Yoshi's.  I hope his health has stabilized.  His playing on his solo number was strong, so he must still be practicing to keep his chops up.  His website shows some concert appearances scheduled for Sept. - Dec., but I really am not sure if that is for this year or perhaps left over from last year.  I'm a bit dubious if he would still have the stamina to do a full concert, based upon what I saw last night.

It was not the greatest concert I've ever been to musically (although it certainly had its fine moments), but it was a very special event and I'm glad I was able to attend.

I was wondering about his health. He has looked pretty frail in the the pictures I've seen of him over the past few years. I'm glad that SFJAZZ was able to put on such a star-studded tribute for him.

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Marvin Stamm at the Kitchen Cafe. Some pretty fine trumpet and flugelhorn playing was on display this evening. And the venue was excellent--very good sound.

A name from my albums of many years ago. Wikipedia tells me he's 6 months older than me, making him 77. But I'm not playing trumpet!

1 hour ago, BillF said:

A name from my albums of many years ago. Wikipedia tells me he's 6 months older than me, making him 77. But I'm not playing trumpet!

Great that he's still playing and playing so well. Ubiquitous on Quincy Jones, Oliver Nelson and Blue Note big band lineups of the 60s and 70s of course. Have been spinning his 'Machinations' a few times recently. The fact that he is playing so well at that age is a sign of tremendous technique I guess.

I might have seen him about 20 years ago in a local quartet gig in North America but I'm not sure..:unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Great that he's still playing and playing so well. Ubiquitous on Quincy Jones, Oliver Nelson and Blue Note big band lineups of the 60s and 70s of course. Have been spinning his 'Machinations' a few times recently. The fact that he is playing so well at that age is a sign of tremendous technique I guess.

I might have seen him about 20 years ago in a local quartet gig in North America but I'm not sure..:unsure:

Now listening to this one that includes Marvin Stamm:

MI0001774224.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by BillF

5 hours ago, BillF said:

Marvin Stamm's playing was pretty much flawless, and as this was a quartet, was present in ample proportions. His tone on flugelhorn was especially gorgeous. He was backed by a local group, including the excellent drummer Andrew Griffin, The program was all standards. Definitely an unusual treat on a Saturday night in North Dallas.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Marvin Stamm's playing was pretty much flawless, and as this was a quartet, was present in ample proportions. His tone on flugelhorn was especially gorgeous. He was backed by a local group, including the excellent drummer Andrew Griffin, The program was all standards. Definitely an unusual treat on a Saturday night in North Dallas.

Sounds like you had a great night! :tup

Just completed the first weekend of the Vancouver International Jazz Festival.  Two of the highlights were performances by the great Evan Parker, one with pianist Georg Graewe and bassist Torsten Muller; the other with Muller, violinist Meredith Bates and cellist Peggy Lee.  The next night, Peggy Lee led a ten-piece group with new compositions, including "Echo Painting," a work commissioned for the festival.  There was a blistering set by The Thing and an uplifting one by the Marcin Wasilewski Trio.  Vancouver guitarist Tom Wherrett led two impressive groups, a trio called Evil Three and a quintet called ElkHorn.  From Montreal, the festival pulled in the Andre Leroux Quartet and the Litania Project, led by the trumpeter Jacques Kuba Seguin.  Organist Chris Gestrin led a funky ensemble called Greasy G and the Poole Party.  Guitarist Tony Wilson brought his group Longhand.  Another highlight was the Norwegian quartet Cortex. 

Like other major festivals, Vancouver incorporates a lot of non-jazz artists, especially in the big-ticket venues.  But there is plenty of jazz to go around, and many of the most compelling gigs are free.  There are not too many places where you can spend the day in the sun, choosing from multiple stages and imbibing jazz for free.  And there is still another week to go....

On June 27, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Utevsky said:

Just completed the first weekend of the Vancouver International Jazz Festival.  Two of the highlights were performances by the great Evan Parker, one with pianist Georg Graewe and bassist Torsten Muller; the other with Muller, violinist Meredith Bates and cellist Peggy Lee.  The next night, Peggy Lee led a ten-piece group with new compositions, including "Echo Painting," a work commissioned for the festival.  There was a blistering set by The Thing and an uplifting one by the Marcin Wasilewski Trio.  Vancouver guitarist Tom Wherrett led two impressive groups, a trio called Evil Three and a quintet called ElkHorn.  From Montreal, the festival pulled in the Andre Leroux Quartet and the Litania Project, led by the trumpeter Jacques Kuba Seguin.  Organist Chris Gestrin led a funky ensemble called Greasy G and the Poole Party.  Guitarist Tony Wilson brought his group Longhand.  Another highlight was the Norwegian quartet Cortex. 

Like other major festivals, Vancouver incorporates a lot of non-jazz artists, especially in the big-ticket venues.  But there is plenty of jazz to go around, and many of the most compelling gigs are free.  There are not too many places where you can spend the day in the sun, choosing from multiple stages and imbibing jazz for free.  And there is still another week to go....

A very impressive few days of jazz; glad to see that free jazz and modern improvisation are being offered. 

I'm not doing too much at the Toronto International Jazz Fest.  However, I did go see the Avishai Cohen Trio, who were quite good.  (This is the more famous bass playing Cohen -- apparently there is also a trumpet player by the same name...) 

They are playing Montreal tomorrow (or Sat.) if I am not mistaken.

I guess I'm just a bit cranky at the moment, but these two now have a lot of recordings and they get all jumbled up.  Would it really have been too much to ask the newer artist on the scene (the trumpet player) to come up with a different name or use an initial or something?  It doesn't serve anyone's purpose to not be able to tell the two apart -- especially on digital downloads where the instruments aren't listed!  Out of principle, I am going to ignore the trumpet player and his recordings.

Edited by ejp626

Avashi the trumpet player is Anat Cohen's brother. There is another brother in the family, Yuval, who plays soprano. I heard Avashi a year or more ago with Mark Turner; perhaps he was unduly restricted by Turner's constipated compositional frameworks, but the results were as undifferentiated as an asphalt sidewalk.

13 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I guess I'm just a bit cranky at the moment, but these two now have a lot of recordings and they get all jumbled up.  Would it really have been too much to ask the newer artist on the scene (the trumpet player) to come up with a different name or use an initial or something?  It doesn't serve anyone's purpose to not be able to tell the two apart -- especially on digital downloads where the instruments aren't listed!  Out of principle, I am going to ignore the trumpet player and his recordings.

Seems like a slightly harsh principle to punish someone for using his name, but I appreciate that the confusion can be frustrating.

3 hours ago, relyles said:

Seems like a slightly harsh principle to punish someone for using his name, but I appreciate that the confusion can be frustrating.

It's an absurd and totally avoidable situation, and the trumpet player has made no effort to resolve it (and he did come to the scene second), so I really don't have any sympathy for him.  This doesn't really matter for session players, though it can still lead to confusion, but I don't think it is right for two headliners to be using the same name.

59 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

It's an absurd and totally avoidable situation, and the trumpet player has made no effort to resolve it (and he did come to the scene second), so I really don't have any sympathy for him.  This doesn't really matter for session players, though it can still lead to confusion, but I don't think it is right for two headliners to be using the same name.

Even if they have the same name? 

54 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Even if they have the same name? 

No, one of them has to do something to distinguish himself (or herself) from the other.  This is one area where I strongly agree with SAG -- you can't have two performers using the same name.

56 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

No, one of them has to do something to distinguish himself (or herself) from the other.  This is one area where I strongly agree with SAG -- you can't have two performers using the same name.

What would you suggest? I'm just curious.