What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Angelica Sanchez Quintet

w/ Marc Ducret, Tony Malaby, Drew Gress, Tom Rainey

8pm, Ars Nova Workshop, Philadelphia Art Alliance, Philadelphia, PA

They are going to be in DC on the 18th, but alas, I am going to see John Butcher and Keith Rowe that night. I did see the Angelica Sanchez Quintet I think a year ago at An Die Musik in Baltimore. Very good. If there are two sets, stay for the 2nd.

Don't know Angelica Sanchez but she has a great bunch of sidemen, wish I could attend

Saw last night Matana Roberts in solo followed by Matthew Shipp in the same format, both strong solid sets but the pianist stole the evening.

Yes, Angelica is a bit low-profile, but this is unmistakably her group. Malaby is her husband.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Time to play catch-up saw two weeks ago Wilco with opening act none other than Nick Lowe. Last weekend saw a double act first in a dute Ballake Sissoko on Kora with cellist Vincent Segal , tremendous set followed by singer Mamani Keita, unfortunately not as tremendous.

Yesterday saw local pianist Yves Léveillé with his quartet plus with a guest the very fine Yannick Rieu. Tonight going to see Boubacar Traore.

Good times.

Edited by Van Basten II

The Jayhawks were pretty good. I realize that I don't love all of their tunes, but the ones I like.........I liked last night. Louris is an interesting electric guitar player for this style of music. Lots of distortion and he plays a Gibson SG, which I wouldn't usually associate with country-flavored rock.

Tomorrow night: Wayne Shorter

Tomorrow Night at The Stone, NYC

10/2 Sunday (DDT)

8 pm

Lafayette Gilchrist

Lafayette Gilchrist (piano) Michael Formanek (double bass) Andrew Cyrille (drums)

10 pm

Lafayette Gilchrist

Lafayette Gilchrist (piano) Steve Swell (trombone) Darius Jones (alto sax) Michael Formanek (double bass) Andrew Cyrille (drums)

to see these guys - especially the *great* Andrew Cyrille from 10 feet away is going to be something else.

peace and blessings

Just back from Wayne. Great show - 3 pieces: first was an hour, second was about 20 minutes, encore was 10. The communication in this band is amazing and of course they're all masters of their instruments. Very enthusiastic crowd - you could tell that the band was feeding off them. (except for one a-hole, who periodically yelled for WR tunes. don't know why he wasn't bounced)

results of the show...

We arrive early first in line @ 7:20 with my friend Travis plus another expected friend the charming, obnoxious and somehow lovable "Big" Ronnie a big music fan who has seen a few jazz shows in his time, but nothing that would be considered free or out or avant-garde.

And I am not sure really what to expect being that I have never heard the pianist ever before but knowing he is associated with David Murray I expected a melodic player with connections to the traditions inside, outside and all around.

So we get the front row - me closest to the drum kit with the only drawback is that the piano is faced so no one except Gilchrest can see the keys.

So a very slender guy with ahuge smile comes out and introduces the band - and the music sheets seen earlier are off to the right on the horn player's stands which are obviously not in use for the first set.

introductions - the *great* Michael Formanek and the *legendary* Andrew Cyrille...mayeb I like this guy....

set starts slow with the trio finding their place, it seemed clear to me that they would be improvising for the set and it was to be - Cyrille on sticks the whole set - Formanek switching occasionally to the bow - a coupld of solos - with Cyrille fascinating me whather I was looking or not - sometimes it is hard to believe that he is playing what he is with so little movement - and with seemingly such a simple approach - and he never hit the cow bell once - and then about 35 to 40 minutes in we get Lafayette Gilchest alone - and the playing had become less sweet - toards the beginning I was feeling somehat uneasy with might be considered a bit of overly romantic stylings lacking the edge that I like in freeish pianists. Somehow the solo section focused his playing for me and the band came out of it more grooving than ever - and his left hand now seemed to be playing an related yet unrelated line and Cyrille finally solos and it is maybe a minute of total fucking genius, the band closes and a few of us roared (out of the 40 or 50 there). Strong set with an uplifting final third.

The new guy (Big Ronnie) liked it - loved seeing a drummer so close and we awaited the second set....

Darius Jones sitting in the back as we were agin in the front row save for Ronnie who is in his normal spot in life - in the back of the room spreading out if you will.

taking it a bit to the extreme was making the decision to sit in this front row - I am one sest closer the great drummer - maybe 5 feet away - and when Jones and Swell pmove the music stands they are literally 2 feet away from Travis and I - a suite is announced for a lost mentor - which would eb 4 movements - I am concerned as it sounds like 2 much - the crowd doesn't build by the time they start @ 10:15 - later Ronnie counted 16 or 18 as thwe whole crowd and 1 was the driver with Bernard Lyons - who just then learned was there - nice to meet you Sir! - so there were only a few ready to listen - the temp starts slower than mid-tempo - never my favorite and if you told me that would eb it or slower for the rest of the 1 hour performance I would have SWORN to all hell that I would nto have liked it, maybe would have hated and maybe would have wanted to leave the room. Cyrille plays it straight, the horns state the first theme which is OK but has a bit of clunkiness in it - so then the trombonist solos and it nice high energy stuff with the confines of the composition (which is what I was thinking at the time - I just want hear these 2 guys GO!!) and Darius comes in and takes his tune and again it is nice - then the theme comes back with the pianist impressing as the first movement moved on - then the horns take for me an unexpected solos with (especially Swell) backing and complimenting the primary soloist.

They take it up and OUT. Very exiting and by 20 minutes all the insane concerns I had were gone - the middle 2 movements were fine with some of the slower and softer passages exposing the brilliance of this pianist with the name of Lafayette Gilchrest - is this a prodigy who wallowed in obscurity only to be discovered a few years back by someone (the lady who this suite was written for) who introduced him to David Murray? And was this his first NYC concert? (I know they were driving home after the show and had arrived earlier in the day - no money there of course...)

then they seemed to stop unexpectedly right before 11:00 - and he introduced the 4the movement - from Ashes to Cosmos, I think earlier he said it was Ashes to Atmosphere - and then they play another bluesly slower tempo - and this time Cyrille plays it louder, Gilchrest played all of differently and then Darius Jones does his best Johnny Hodges meets Jimmy Lyons meets out of this FUCKING world - and the hear it 3 feet from my brain...wowee zowee - can I steal that line Mr. Malkmus??? - and THEN - with slide again either going to hit the floor, Travis head or knees or again the floor, Steve Swell takes the most intense trombone solo the world has yet experienced - when in the forest?!?!) and the guys to my right are goinf NUTS - and Swell shoudl ahve had a fucking heart attack - and then that ends and Gilchrest takes the most gorgeous solo of the night and Darius Jones is yelping and screamin a bit - you do NOT see this - and then it ends after the last theme and then the leader closes with an unaccompanied piece of brilliance and the small crowd is overcome and gives a standing ovation - the band is smiling - Mr. Cyrilled is beaming and Lafayette Gilchrest is very happy that a few of us heard who is is and he is clearly very happy he had those 4 great, great musicians with him for the occasion.

and Big Ronnie's musical perspective is changed forever...thanks for coming

quiet no music on the way home - maybe later today or this week - lordy lordy

very inside traditional music played my masters who simply play music - yeah a bit over the top by the horn players - but thank jah there are some willing to give it all they have as they obviously love this music and love the composer/pianist who had a rare chance to play his music with these musicians.

blood and guts, baby

Gilchrist plays a lot in the Baltimore area, which is relatively close to me. I've seen him a few times, and, frankly, did not much care for him. His "in" plying makes me head for the exit.

Formanek is fine, although a little earthbound for me. Depends on the context in which he plays. For instance, I like him more when he plays with his old pal Tim Berne. I've started to really dig Darius Jones, especially when he lets it rip. I didn't care too much for "Mannish Boy," but since then he has started to really come on. Anyway, glad you like the show. I like Bernard, Lafayette's manager, so maybe I'll give him another try.

Just saw Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. Not CRAZY about the LCJO, but they played a few selections from the Vitoria Suite, which was wonderful to hear. Dan Nimmer (piano) sounded great. In fact the whole rhythm section was locked in and swingin' I don't think the saxophones were miked correctly for Orchestra Hall (here in Minneapolis),they were totally covered by the brass. Speaking of brass, Ryan Kisor, always a great trumpet player, sounded particularly inspired. His lead trumpet was truly great...it was soaring, majestic, golden, he really didn't miss a note the whole concert. So he is rounding into shape as a great lead man. The trombones were excellent, especially Vincent Gardner's plunger solos, very voice like...reminded me of Al Grey, Butter Jackson, etc.

Wynton was of course Wynton. Perfectly played.... I can't knock him for his trumpet playing...but, suffice it to say, I would prefer to hear Armstrong, Eldridge, Sweets Edison or any number of trumpet players, any day to Wynton.

Joe Temperley (baritone) sounded great as usual, great tone and concept...something that's missing with the new players.

Packed house, receptive audience, fun night!

Leeway:

You may have liked Gilchrest in the first set as it was really free and especially inspired the second half of the set.

And Darius really really really let it rip, so you would have enjoyed that!

Lafayette is playing a bunch of dates in Baltimore in the next couple of months, so maybe I will give it another shot. Not surprised about Darius; the guy is tearing it up lately. Glad you dug the gig.