What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This evening I went to a gig hosted by the Bury Jazz Society (a name to conjure with) :lol:

What's his name? :lol:

Laubrock is the real thing

London's loss is New York's gain. :tup

Glad to find another Laubrock fan. Laubrock has really been going from strength to strength since she moved over to New York, building her sound, technique, and narrative structure. Ended up catching 2 shows with her. On Monday, a duo with her husband, Tom Rainey, that was just terrific. On Tuesday, a duo with Sabir Mateen, which was a surprising match-up that turned out surprisingly well. She went to to toe with Sabir. It was another example of her developing new facets to her playing.

After a five week absence, the Lucky and Tamara Peterson blues band returns to Tuckers Blues in Deep Ellum for one night--and eager anticipation is my expectation, not to be disappointed as usual.

The bassist and drummer are two of the regulars, but there is a keyboard player this time--Lucky does not bring his own organ/piano setup, and spends most of the evening strictly on guitar.

An outstanding first set follows--a little jazz at the beginning with Lucky playing a hollow bodied guitar on Mr. Magic. Lots of blues tonight. Lucky uses no pedals/effects--and a small Marshall amp,

The second set has many guests, three different vocalists and two guitarists--Arthur Jr. Boy Jones and Chris Peterson--both are pretty good. The latter was Lucky's visiting brother.

The final set, while brief, is the terrific, an instrumental followed by a fantastic vocal featuring Tamara with incredible guitar playing.

Happily, there was a pretty good sized crowd tonight.

Ken Vandermark and Tim Daisy will be performing at Twins Jazz in DC this Wednesday. I plan to make the gig. i saw KV two nights running a few months ago at The Stone in NYC, with varying line-ups. Great stuff.

I thought about driving from Atlanta to Wilmington, NC tomorrow to see them, but decided I couldn't quite swing the seven hours each way.

Ken Vandermark and Tim Daisy will be performing at Twins Jazz in DC this Wednesday. I plan to make the gig. i saw KV two nights running a few months ago at The Stone in NYC, with varying line-ups. Great stuff.

I thought about driving from Atlanta to Wilmington, NC tomorrow to see them, but decided I couldn't quite swing the seven hours each way.

7 hours is well beyond the call of duty. In moments of musical inspiration or desperation I will make the 250 mile drive to NYC. It helps that I still have family there who can put me up for a night or three. Anyway, KV said they played Athens, GA. Did you catch that? I caught the DC show, both sets. Excellent. Vandermark is one of the hardest working dudes in the music. He treats his fans great. KV played tenor, clarinet, bass clarinet, and bari. He was fine on all but really killing on the bari.

7 hours is well beyond the call of duty. In moments of musical inspiration or desperation I will make the 250 mile drive to NYC. It helps that I still have family there who can put me up for a night or three. Anyway, KV said they played Athens, GA. Did you catch that? I caught the DC show, both sets. Excellent. Vandermark is one of the hardest working dudes in the music. He treats his fans great. KV played tenor, clarinet, bass clarinet, and bari. He was fine on all but really killing on the bari.

Dang! I didn't know they played Athens! That's an easy hour and 15 minute drive from my house. Dang!

I had the good fortune last night to see Brian Lynch perform in a quartet at "The Falcon" a very cool club located in Marlboro, NY about 65 miles north of NY City. This is a fantastic place to see a show. The acoustics are great, the shows are well attended, a real positive vibe definitely goes down here. Besides Lynch, Herve Sellin was featured on piano, David Wong on bass and Bill Goodwin on drums. The theme of the evening was jazz influenced by French classical music. When I first heard of the theme of the evenings show, I was abit skeptical. I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy enjoy the show. I was proven wrong. It worked. Sellin who is the main influence here seems to be quite adept in his knowledge of French classical music. Sellin and Lynch collaborated to bring both genres together for a very interesting mix of highly entertaining music. Sellin also played with Johnny Griffin for a number of years, so there is no disputing his jazz creds here. Bill Goodwin was crackling on drums. I have to admit not knowing much about him, but he was exciting to watch behind the drum kit. Again, another fine show put on by Tony Falco and the folks at "The Falcon". If any of you guys are in the area, you defintely should check this place out. Greg Osby plays here next Saturday night and Terrell Stafford next month. There is no admission to get inside, although there is a donation box where folks can deposit what they feel is appropriate. I don't know how Tony does it, but he keeps booking acts. Dinner and drinks are served as well.

Bill Goodwin was crackling on drums. I have to admit not knowing much about him, but he was exciting to watch behind the drum kit.

Bill Goodwin, together with Tom Harrell, Hal Galper and Steve Gilmore, was part of that great quintet that Phil Woods had for some years in the 1980s. I saw Bill Goodwin with a big band that Phil Woods brought to Wigan about twenty years ago.

Sounds like you had a good time last night, Tom!

Last night, guitarist Butch Bonner with Johnny J Dallas on vocals, at Tuckers Blues.

I believe that Butch Bonner is Floyd Bonner, ex-Freddie King bandmember. Very nice guitar player; good band, performing blues and soul at the best club in Dallas-Fort Worth.

• 4 weeks later...

And:

John Butcher and Thomas Lehn + Dave Smolen / hair_loss

Wednesday, September 21 at 8:00pm

I hoped to catch Butcher in NYC and Philly but work might make that difficult. However, I will see Butcher over 3 nights at the High Zero Festival in Baltimore, starting 9/22. Worth coming down for that!

Mark Braud at Preservation Hall and Aurora Nealand at Mimi's. Nice to be back in my favorite city.

I haven't heard any really outstanding music at Preservation Hall for years, but tonight was a pretty good night. Mark Braud wasn't there - it's a typical New Orleans thing that many of the musicians scheduled to appear at a given venue on a given night aren't there - but the band, led by clarinetist/saxist Charlie Gabriel, was good, and the music made me happy.

But Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses really reminded me that in this city, traditional jazz is a living, breathing thing. I don't think that any of the tunes they played were composed after 1940, but the band was lively and creative on every tune. "The Old Rugged Cross" turned into some sort of New Orleans free jazz, if you can imagine that.

I love this city.

Edited by jeffcrom

Angelica Sanchez Quintet

w/ Marc Ducret, Tony Malaby, Drew Gress, Tom Rainey

8pm, Ars Nova Workshop, Philadelphia Art Alliance, Philadelphia, PA

They are going to be in DC on the 18th, but alas, I am going to see John Butcher and Keith Rowe that night. I did see the Angelica Sanchez Quintet I think a year ago at An Die Musik in Baltimore. Very good. If there are two sets, stay for the 2nd.

Angelica Sanchez Quintet

w/ Marc Ducret, Tony Malaby, Drew Gress, Tom Rainey

8pm, Ars Nova Workshop, Philadelphia Art Alliance, Philadelphia, PA

They are going to be in DC on the 18th, but alas, I am going to see John Butcher and Keith Rowe that night. I did see the Angelica Sanchez Quintet I think a year ago at An Die Musik in Baltimore. Very good. If there are two sets, stay for the 2nd.

Don't know Angelica Sanchez but she has a great bunch of sidemen, wish I could attend

Saw last night Matana Roberts in solo followed by Matthew Shipp in the same format, both strong solid sets but the pianist stole the evening.