What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes I wonder why I don't go out to hear more music here in Atlanta. Tonight I was reminded both of why I don't and why I should.

Atlanta underground tenor sax legend Kebbi William's birthday celebration show was scheduled to start at either 8:00 or 9:00 PM, depending on which part of the internet you believed. I saw one of the musicians this afternoon, and he assured me that the music would start no later than 9:30. The first note was actually played at 10:15.

But, damn! The music was so intense that I could only stay for one set. Kebbi had a ten-piece band, including Russell Gunn on trumpet and Oteil Burbridge on bass. (Oteil is the bassist with the Allman Brothers Band, although most Atlantans probably don't think of that first when they think of him.) They played avant funk jazz; the rhythm section was tight and complex, while the horns were very free over the base they set up. I never did figure out the time signature of one of the tunes.

Mot of the shows I've been to (and I've been to quite a few) start late. The others start only a little bit late happy.gif. Doesn't really bother me unless it's a Sunday might and I have to work the next date (which means a 6:00AM or 6:30AM wake-up). I start fretting and fuming, but once the music starts, everything gets right. A couple of brews helps too!

I'm going to see Wynton Marsalis on Sunday night. If he were playing in a festival or at a big concert hall with his usual group or the LCJO I wouldn't usually bother; I often feel he tries too hard to be sure to stay in character and is unlikely to surprise me. I've seen him often enough over the years, but it has been a while.

But this, announced just yesterday, is a surprise visit to a small club, the Duc des Lombards here in Paris, with the trio of pianist Hervé Sellin, which includes Jeff Boudreaux, a New Orleans-born drummer who is based in Paris. So it'll basically be Wynton jamming with a good local trio. These are the circumstances I think are great for Wynton. He'll be able to just play in a cozy, relaxed and informal setting. The club probably doesn't seat more than forty people in front of the stage, with more seats in an adjacent room and upstairs (CCTV monitors let those people watch the musicians). I saw it when it was first announced, on Facebook, and got tickets for my wife and son and myself. My son is not a great jazz fan but does enjoy live shows when they're demonstrative enough (he loves Roy Haynes concerts, and really dug the Bad Plus); I'm sure he'll love seeing Wynton, who is such a ham.

I'll let you know how it goes.

last night @ Cornelia Street Cafe in NYC - BassDrumBone with Mark Helias, Gerry Hemingway and Ray Anderson

wonderful 2 sets with blues, post bop and freeish elements - certainly for all listners.

amazing up-tempo Ornettish freebop tune closing the first set with Helias and Hemingway together for about 5 or 6 minutes smoking leading to a nuclear Hemingway solo.

Highlight of the second set might have been along blues with Anderson playing through the whole dynamic range of the trombone down to the quietest sound with the audience in rapt attention.

my wife and here friend loved it although not fans or familiar with so-called 'out' music. Lot's of hints of New Orleans and Anderson is as good as he has ever been - it goes without saying how incredible Hemingway is if any of you have ever seen him live from 7 feet away.

compositions from all three of them and a fine night from 3 musicians who know each other very very well who still sound as fresh as they probably did 30 years ago - one other lie remains dead.

Saw the Pacific Rim String Quartet perform Schubert's Rosamund Quartet, then Schubert's String Quintet (with Eric Wilson as guest cello). Quite nice. Some aspects of the quintet come through more in a live performance than in the recordings I have. There is this one section (in the 3rd movement?) where the key keeps changing. I also really liked the almost percussive use of the 2nd cello in the first movement.

Jazz concerts are definitely few and far between here, so I'll probably have to wait until the Vancouver Jazz Fest to really get my fix.

last night @ Cornelia Street Cafe in NYC - BassDrumBone with Mark Helias, Gerry Hemingway and Ray Anderson

wonderful 2 sets with blues, post bop and freeish elements - certainly for all listners.

amazing up-tempo Ornettish freebop tune closing the first set with Helias and Hemingway together for about 5 or 6 minutes smoking leading to a nuclear Hemingway solo.

Highlight of the second set might have been along blues with Anderson playing through the whole dynamic range of the trombone down to the quietest sound with the audience in rapt attention.

my wife and here friend loved it although not fans or familiar with so-called 'out' music. Lot's of hints of New Orleans and Anderson is as good as he has ever been - it goes without saying how incredible Hemingway is if any of you have ever seen him live from 7 feet away.

compositions from all three of them and a fine night from 3 musicians who know each other very very well who still sound as fresh as they probably did 30 years ago - one other lie remains dead.

Another group that I would love to see in person. Your description of the music sounds very much like their most current album which is terrific in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the Brandon Allen Sextet today at the unearthly hour of 11 a.m. till 1 p.m. as part of "Jazz on a Winter's Weekend" in Southport. Excellent hard bop group: Allen (tenor), Nigel Hitchcock (alto), Mark Nightingale (trombone), Ross Stanley (piano), Sam Burgess (bass) and Ian Thomas (drums). Would single out Thomas, whom I've never heard before, for special praise - what a driving, swinging drummer!

This heterosexual 53-year-old is going out tonight to hear Big Freedia, the foremost exponent of the New Orleans gay hip-hop subgenre known as "Sissy Bounce." I expect a fun time.

Sounds like a blast.

Alas, it was not to be. We couldn't get in - the little club was sold out. We spent the evening in a nearby bar with a good beer selection.

Back to Southport, this time for an American/Italian hard bop quintet of Greg Abate (alto and flute), Jim Rotundi (trumpet & flugelhorn), Dado Moroni (piano), Harvie S (bass) and Enzo Zirilli (drums). Wonderful! First time I've heard Rotundi live - must be one of the best trumpeters anywhere today.

Back to Southport, this time for an American/Italian hard bop quintet of Greg Abate (alto and flute), Jim Rotundi (trumpet & flugelhorn), Dado Moroni (piano), Harvie S (bass) and Enzo Zirilli (drums). Wonderful! First time I've heard Rotundi live - must be one of the best trumpeters anywhere today.

Glad to hear you had a great time, Bill!

Saw the Mark Turner Quartet at the Duc des Lombards in Paris. Superb concert. With Turner were Avishai Cohen, trumpet; Joe Martin, bass; and Marcus Gilmore, drums. This quartet is a regular thing but Turner apparently has no recording contract at present, so it risks going undocumented. Boo!

(New Yorkers, they'll be at the Village Vanguard Feb. 14-19.)

Edited by Tom Storer

Bruce Adams (trumpet) and John Hallam (tenor and baritone) with the Tom Kincaid Trio at Wilmslow, Cheshire

First class mainstream session, Hallam's Bud Freeman/Ben Webster influenced tenor providing the perfect foil to Adams's fiery trumpet with its Eldridge/Edison/Braff echoes. Even Kincaid's Garnerisms, which can grate in a bop context, fitted right in.

• 2 weeks later...

Chucho Valdes and the Afro-Cuban Messengers last night at George Mason University. Fun set that included a nice version of "Birdland" (...which I do not recall hearing played live since I played it in high school marching band in the early 80's).

I missed his show in my neighborhood last week because of another event I couldn't bale from but this Saturday I'll be going to the same venue to hear the Overtone Quartet which is a newish band with Dave Holland and Jason Moran. I'm looking forward to it as I haven't seen either musician in quite some time.