What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

little trip ahead next week...

Monday Nov. 14 - Sex Mob (in Cologne, with Niko! :excited: )

Wednesday Nov. 16 - Henry Threadgill (at the Bimhuis in Amsterdam)

Friday Nov. 18 - Craig Taborn Trio (again in Cologne)

Then there's Bill Frisell's 858 group coming to Zurich Monday Nov. 21 (not sure I'll go but I had a weird dream [not a wet one, mind you] about Jenny Scheinman recently, so...)

Missed the Frisell, but Sex Mob was very good and Threadgill and Taborn were both great!

The *great* Craig Taborn is playing in 2 incredible bands on DEC 14th:

The Stone - NYC

12/14 Wednesday

8 pm

Matt Maneri with Ed Schuller, Randy Peterson, Oscar Noriega, Craig Taborn

Matt Maneri (viola) Ed Schuller (bass) Randy Peterson (drums) Oscar Noriega (sax) Craig Taborn (piano)

10 pm

Michael Formanek Group

Michael Formanek (bass) Gerald Cleaver (drums) Craig Taborn (piano) Tim Berne (sax)

one of those 75 seats is worth a bit more than the $10.00 needed for each set.

lordy lordy

Tonight at the 10th (already! congrats!) Unerhoert festival in Zurich:

CO STREIFF – RUSS JOHNSON – GERRY HEMINGWAY

Co Streiff: Saxophone / Russ Johnson: Trumpet / Gerry Hemingway: Drums

LAKE-WEBER-ULRICH FEAT. NILS WOGRAM

Oliver Lake: Saxophone / Christian Weber: Bass / Dieter Ulrich: Drums /

Nils Wogram: Trombone

Will miss the first set (by local sax player Christoph Grab) as I'll catch a movie first ("The Libeled Lady" with Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy and William Powell).

Good way to start the weekend, I think... but there's still half a dozen office hours between now and then...

thanks, ubu

that trio without Wogram is playing NYC in March - let me know about Weber and Ulrich as I have never heard or seen either of them.

hope you get real close to the drum kit of the *great* Gerry Hemingway as it is beyond when he really gets it cranked - he is a master of dynamics and intensity - quiet or deafening.

Oh, Lake, Weber and Ulrich have appeared in Zurich before, in trio - as part of an earlier edition of the same festival! That was great... you got Trio 3 (with Irene Schweizer), Reggie Workman solo, and Lake with this local rhythm section. Christian Weber is an amazing bass player, young guy, big sound. Ulrich is a fine, old-fashioned drummer, I think age-wise somewhere in between Weber and Lake. The trio hit it off right away, it seems, so they needn't much thinking when they were invited again, and Wogram is a welcome addition (amazing trombone player that needs to be heard live).

The Lake-Weber-Ulrich trio has also made a CD for Intakt:

http://intaktrec.ch/172-a.htm

Their initial encounter was broadcast on Swiss radio, and a photo from that concert can be seen in the above linked page.

(Edited to add: I don't know the CD yet)

Edited by king ubu

Oh, they're great! Johnson has played with Streiff's earlier band, her sextet (it had Weber on bass) and I've seen a great live show by them and enjoy the disc (also got the earlier sextet disc with another trumpet player - all on Intakt of course).

That festival looks quite impressive:

March 2012 at the Stone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

curated by Patrik Landolt / Stuart Mostofsky

MARCH 1—15

INTAKT

CURATED BY PATRIK LANDOLT

Intakt Records is a Zürich (Switzerland) based record label that produces creative jazz. It was formed in 1986 by Patrik Landolt and Rosmarie A. Meier to serve the needs of a community of creative jazz artists in Zürich, Berlin, London, etc, committed to exploring the edge of improvisation, composition and innovation. Intakt is a non profit association. In the executive committee are the musicians Irène Schweizer and Lucas Niggli. «Small in budget, but immense in quality», praises “The New York City Jazz Records” Intakt Records. More than 200 recordings have been released up to today. For these two weeks in The Stone, Intakt Records founded the association “Zurich-New York” to finance traveling and accommodation of the Zurich based musicians to make their stay in New York possible.

3/1 Thursday (DDT)

8 pm

Fred Frith, Shahzad Ismaily and Matthias Bossi

Fred Frith (guitar, voice) Shahzad Ismaily (bass) Matthias Bossi (drums)

10 pm

Fred Frith and Lucas Niggli Duo

Fred Frith (guitar, voice) Lucas Niggli (drums)

3/2 Friday (CWL)

8 pm

Elliott Sharp, Melvin Gibbs and Lucas Niggli

Elliott Sharp (guitar) Melvin Gibbs (bass) Lucas Niggli (drums)

10 pm

Fred Frith and Co Streiff Duo

Fred Frith (guitar) Co Streiff (saxophones)

3/3 Saturday (RK)

8 pm

DER ROTE BEREICH

Frank Moebus (guitar) Christian Weidner (saxophone) Oliver Steidle (drums)

10 pm

Co Streiff, Russ Johnson Quartet

Co Streiff (saxophones) Russ Johnson (trumpet) Christian Weber (bass) ulian Sartorius (drums)

3/4 Sunday

8 pm

OBJETS TROUVEE

Gabriela Friedli (piano) Co Streiff (saxophones) Jan Schlegel (e-bsss) Dieter Ulrich (drums)

10 pm

DER ROTE BEREICH and guest

Frank Moebus (guitar) Christian Weidner (saxophone) Oliver Steidle (drums) and guest

3/5 Monday

730 and 9 pm

NEW MUSIC OBSERVATORY AT THE STONE

BUTCH MORRIS CONDUCTION

7:30—Open Rehearsal

9:00—Performance

3/6 Tuesday (KR)

8 pm

Oliver Lake, Christian Weber, Dieter Ulrich

Oliver Lake (as) Christian Weber (bass )Dieter Ulrich (drums)

10 pm

Lucas Niggli, Time Berne, Angelica Sanchez

Tim Berne (sax) Lucas Niggli (drums) Angelica Sanchez (piano)

3/7 Wednesday (KR)

8 and 10 pm

INGRID LAUBROCK ORCHESTRA

Ingrid Laubrock (saxophone, composition) Mary Halvorson (guitar) Shane Endsley (trumpet) Kris Davis (piano) Ted Reichman (accordion) Chris Hoffman (cello) Drew Gress (bass) Tom Rainey (drums)

3/8 Thursday

8 pm

Gabriela Friedli, Tony Malaby and Michael GrienAir

Gabriela Friedli (piano) Tony Malaby (sax) Michael GrienAir (drums)

10 pm

Mark Feldman and Pierre Favre Duo

Mark Feldman (violin) Pierre Favre (drums, percussion)

3/9 Friday (DDT)

8 pm

Jürg Wickihalder European Quartet featuring Irene Schweizer

Jürg Wickihalder (saxes) Irène Schweizer (piano) Fabian Gisler (bass) Michael GrienAir (percussion)

10 pm

Dieter Ulrich, Jan Schlegel and Ray Anderson

Dieter Ulrich (drums) Jan Schlegel (bass) Ray Anderson (trombone)

3/10 Saturday (KR)

8 pm

Irène Schweizer and Pierre Favre

Irène Schweizer (piano) Pierre Favre (drums)

10 pm

TOM RAINEY TRIO

Tom Rainey (drums) Mary Halvorson (guitar) Ingrid Laubrock (saxophone)

3/11 Sunday (KR)

8 pm

Oliver Lake and Andrew Cyrille Duo

Oliver Lake (alto saxophone) Andrew Cyrille (drums)

10 pm

Irène Schweizer and Andrew Cyrille Duo

Irène Schweizer (piano) Andrew Cyrille (drums)

3/12 Monday

730 and 9 pm

NEW MUSIC OBSERVATORY AT THE STONE

BUTCH MORRIS CONDUCTION

7:30—Open Rehearsal

9:00—Performance

3/13 Tuesday

8 pm

Pierre Favre, Samuel Blaser and Philipp Schaufelberger

Pierre Favre (drums) Samuel Blaser (trombone) Philipp Schaufelberger (guitar)

10 pm

JÜRG WICKIHALDER OVERSEAS QUARTET

Jürg Wickihalder (saxophones) Achille Succi (bass clarinet) Fabian Gisler (bass) Kevin Zubek (drums)

3/14 Wednesday (DDT)

8 pm

Michael Jaeger, Philipp Schaufelberger, Tom Rainey and special guest

Michael Jaeger (tenor saxophone) Philipp Schaufelberger (guitar) Tom Rainey (drums)

10 pm

SYLVIE COURVOISIER TRIO

Sylvie Courvoisier (piano) and her new trio

3/15 Thursday (KR)

8 pm

Jürg Wickihalder, Franz Loriot and guest

Jürg Wickihalder (saxophones) Franz Loriot (viola) and guest

10 pm

SYLVIE COURVOISIER, MARK FELDMAN QUARTET

Sylvie Courvoisier (piano) Mark Feldman (violin) in their new quartet

Source: http://thestonenyc.com/calendar.php?month=4

I'd definitely go on 3/6, 3/9, 3/10 and 3/11, maybe also on 3/7 and 3/8 and other nights... wow! I'd love to get to see all of these concerts, really!

Okay, so last night at the Unerhoert... it was really, really good! Only that I had to leave before the final set was through was a bit of a drag, but I had to get up early today.

First was Christoph Grab's quartet:

Christoph Grab’s RAW VISION & Ronny Graupe

Christoph Grab: Saxophone, Clarinet / Silvan Jeger: Bass / Maxim Paratte: Drums / Ronny Graupe: Guitar

No Frank Moebus - he's in hospital with tuberculosis! Holy shit! Hope he pulls through that - no idea how bad it is. Ronny Graupe learned the music (some of it seemed very tricky) in the afternoon and did a great job. Jeger was too low in the mix mostly, but then this was Grab and Graupe's show. Grab played tenor (sounded like Joe Henderson was his main inspiration) and alto, some of the tunes were terrific, most outstanding was his homage to Charles Mingus (title "Melancholeriker" - melancholeric) - beautiful moody stuff with great tenor playing. He then went on with a solo cadenza on alto, into the next tune. Those 15 or 20 minutes were great!

Then, looooooooooooooooooong break... effin' radio guys recording it all (and because of that the whole evening was torn apart a bit and made the final concert start too late for me to stay through... suckers!) - either way, the highlight of the night and one of my top-5 concerts of the year (the others being the Brözzimann Tentet, Bob Dylan, Matana Roberts' Coin Coin Chapter 1 and Henry Threadgill's Zooid):

CO STREIFF – RUSS JOHNSON – GERRY HEMINGWAY

Co Streiff: Saxophone / Russ Johnson: Trumpet / Gerry Hemingway: Drums

Their programme was all Dolphy, with one Ken McIntyre tune ("Lautir") included between "Les" and another Dolphy tune in a medley kind of thing. Highlights were certainly "Hat and Beard" and that medley... and it was a joy watching Gerry Hemingway! That guy is amazing! First time I saw him live... his bass drum made up easily for lack of a bass, his musicality allowed him to kind of represent an entire rhythm section! Johnson is a lyrical trumpet player, amazing chops yet hardly in need of showing them off - or rather he only does so when it makes perfect musical sense. Streiff on alto was rather intense, maybe a bit too warm and upbeat in mood for Dolphy, but she did some amazing playing, some terrific solos! (Steve: in the US they'll play with their quartet... in that band, they appeared at Unerhört last year, but I missed them, so can't tell you anything specific about that band - but I'm sure it's worth hearing!)

LAKE-WEBER-ULRICH FEAT. NILS WOGRAM

Oliver Lake: Saxophone / Christian Weber: Bass / Dieter Ulrich: Drums /

Nils Wogram: Trombone

Finally, at half past 11, the stage was set for a further appearance of a trio that had its initial appearance at the Unerhoert festival four years back (see my post above w/link to a photo from back then). Weber is a great bass player, intense, kind of a Mingus-type though not necessarily too close to Mingus as far as bass playing goes. Ulrich is a good, old-fashioned power drummer, laying out polyrhythms and spreading an exciting carpet for the music to strut on... Wogram was a very fitting addition, it seemed to me. The last of three pieces that I heard (about 30 minutes of music) was - so it seemed - by Wogram and presented some most amazing trombone playing over kind of a walking tango beat. Kitschy? Maybe, but who the hell cares - wonderful! Too bad I had to leave, as it felt as if they were only just getting into the music, really.

Great night that was, that's for sure!

Joel Purnell with The Gerry Tomlinson Trio at Whitefield this afternoon.

http://www.joelpurnell.com/

Joel is a Coltrane-influenced tenorman with an interesting choice of material which included "Theme for Ernie" and Jerry Bergonzi's "Invisible Light".

I listened to "Theme for Ernie" thinking of jazz "obituary pieces". Those that came to mind were "Lester Left Town", "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" and "I Remember Clifford", but I couldn't think of one for Charlie Parker. I'm sure there are some. Anyone help me on this and on jazz "obituary pieces" generally?

Edited by BillF

A recent one:

317bwmBP94L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Scrapple From The Apple; Hot House; ,Punctuat-i'on; Star Eyes; My Little Suede Shoes; Laura; Chi Chi; Now's The Time; Plasticity; Moose The Mooche; Billie's Bounce; Ah-Leu-Cha.

Not sure if it's an obituary piece, a tribute or a celebration!

Edited by A Lark Ascending