How do you pronounce.........

sheldonm

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd throw this out: Paul Motion... in an interview I read years ago, he said it's not "mo-shun", but "mo-TEE-un".

Think I read his say somewhere that it's a Turkish name, thus the "unexpected" pronunciation.

Maybe I should post this on the "Definately" thread, but I believe it is spelled:

MOTIAN

:)

Just thought I'd throw this out: Paul Motion... in an interview I read years ago, he said it's not "mo-shun", but "mo-TEE-un".

Think I read his say somewhere that it's a Turkish name, thus the "unexpected" pronunciation.

Maybe I should post this on the "Definately" thread, but I believe it is spelled:

MOTIAN

I've always pronounced it "Mo-tee-un" as well, but I swear I've got a live recording somewhere where Charlie Haden (who knows him well) introduces him as "Mo-shun." :huh:

MOTIAN

I've always pronounced it "Mo-tee-un" as well, but I swear I've got a live recording somewhere where Charlie Haden (who knows him well) introduces him as "Mo-shun." :huh:

Well, looks like we all stand corrected -- because apparently Paul went with the flow and stopped "correcting" people in about first grade! -- according to this Fireside Chat with Paul Motian:

FRED JUNG: Let's lay the confusion to rest. How is your name pronounced? "Motion" or "Motian?"

PAUL MOTIAN: "Motion." I have been doing that for the last thirty years, but before that, I used to pronounce it "Motian" and people used to say "Motan" or "Moden." But when I was a kid, even as far back as kindergarten, people would say, "Paul Motion," so I said, "OK, from now on, if anybody asks me, I am going to say 'Paul Motion' and I am going to spell it the same way." So that is where it stands. Someone once said to me, "It doesn't make any difference, as long as they know who you're talking about." Even with people like Billie Holiday, names being misspelled all over the place. So anyway, that is that story.

• 8 months later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nica_de_Koenigswarter

I think that would also vary a lot on the country. Her husband was french, but the name looks to be of dutch origin. The dutch pronounce the "oe" in Koenigswarter as "oo", but the french and most other people would say "Ø" or just "o".

http://french.about.com/library/pronunciat...-ipa-vowels.htm

Edited by Claude

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...