How do you pronounce.........

sheldonm

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to the WBGO radio special "The House That Trane Built," and there are a couple of pronouncer questions that crop up as a result. Several of the interviewees refer to Bob Thiele as "THEEL," but the narrator says "TEAL." Then there's Ayler--I've always heard it pronounced as "EYE-ler," but a couple of people here say "AY-ler" (which perhaps, on the surface of it, makes more sense). Any definitive answers?

I've been listening to the WBGO radio special "The House That Trane Built," and there are a couple of pronouncer questions that crop up as a result. Several of the interviewees refer to Bob Thiele as "THEEL," but the narrator says "TEAL." Then there's Ayler--I've always heard it pronounced as "EYE-ler," but a couple of people here say "AY-ler" (which perhaps, on the surface of it, makes more sense). Any definitive answers?

Thielemans, 'Toots' teel-mahnz

Thiele, theel

The guides I've seen say to pronounce the "TH" with Bob Thiele. But not with Toots.

Saw this on a guide at All About Jazz: Albert Eye-ler

Edited by RonF

Thielemans, 'Toots' teel-mahnz

that'd be Teel-uh-mahns,

short "ee", short 'mute' "uh" and short "ah"

which would make

Thiele

Teel-uh

:huh:

eyyyy, Toots is from Flemish Brussels, he speaks Flemish/Dutch, hence his name is pronounced Flemish/Dutch.

Having lived in the US for such a long time, he himself has adapted and when talking english calls himself "Teelmahns", if only just because Charlie Parker did...

I swear I saw something where Donald and Albert gave different pronunciations for Ayler...

From WWUH Jazz Pronunciation Guide: Ayler, Albert eye-ler

From New England Jazz Radio Cooperative Pronunciation Guide: Ayler, Albert eye-ler

Of course, they could have it wrong.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I swear I saw something where Donald and Albert gave different pronunciations for Ayler...

From New England Jazz Radio Cooperative Pronunciation Guide: Ayler, Albert eye-ler

Stuart Broomer (who met the brothers) told me they each had a different preference for the pronunciation of his name. Now, I don't remember which one preferred which......

(2) Joachim Kuhn?

i am not good at explaining...

Jo-a-chim

the J in Jo is not pronounced like in Joe, may be you do the right thing if you think of "eo" like in Cleopatra (but probably you prononce the o from Cleopatra like the oe in Joe? it's rather a "plain" o as in professional...)

the middle "a" is like in "bath"

chim: a first approximation is "kim" like in "next of kin" but the "ch" is the same non-english sound as the "j" from spanish baja (iirc)... nobody will be offended if you simply say "Kim"

Kuhn (or rather Kühn with two dots on the u)

the "h" is not spoken, it simply indicates that the "ü" is long. The ü is the same as the french u, so if you know french and pronounce the imaginary french word "kun" you will probably do the right thing...

but again as there is no ü in English, so if you say Kuhn as you would say Steve Kuhn, or like "Cool" with an "n" instead of the "l" that would be fine with me :)

(2) Joachim Kuhn?

attached a German announcement, first of "das Joachim Kühn Trio", then twice just "Joachim Kühn".

Note how the stress in Joachim is on the A, so that's yo-Akhim. The announcer actually almost swallows the "yo" part; typically, guys named Joachim are called Achim for that matter.

How do you pronouce:

(1) Ahmet Ertegun's last name?

it's somewhere on an FZ album I only have on vinyl, but there Ertegun is pronounced starting off like "Earth", but then forms into Eardigin' with stress on the first syllable; almost rhymes with "cardigan".

How do you pronouce:

(1) Ahmet Ertegun's last name?

it's somewhere on an FZ album I only have on vinyl, but there Ertegun is pronounced starting off like "Earth", but then forms into Eardigin' with stress on the first syllable; almost rhymes with "cardigan".

That's probably the English pronunciation, but how does it sound in Turkish? Ertegun was from Turkey. I wonder if they pronounced the "g" as an "h", as in the Turkish prime minister Erdogan's name, which is pronounced "Erdohan".

Stuart Broomer (who met the brothers) told me they each had a different preference for the pronunciation of his name. Now, I don't remember which one preferred which......

Carl Woideck's notes from the book included in the Holy Ghost set (p.191):

...The most unusual answer I got from the Ayler brothers that evening same when I asked them how to pronounce their surname. Don said A-ler (rhyming with "tailor") and Albert said Eye-ler!