How do you pronounce.........

sheldonm

Guest Bill Barton

Japanese tends to give equal emphasis to all of the syllables, thus none of them are stressed more than others.
Whoa....you better ask yer friend again about this 'cause what makes Japanese a mountain to climb for English speaking folks is

that it doesn't equally emphasize all of the syllables! I spent many days just trying to learn the proper way to pronounce "Ryoanji"

this summer and the inflections have to be just right.

Back to square one, eh? :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

Baikida Carroll? I've heard something approximating "bah-kee-dah." Anybody know if this is correct? Thanks.

I've heard him addressed that way with no correction. Accent on the second syllable.

Thanks, Chuck, that's very helpful indeed.

stafkap.jpg

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard Axel Stordahl pronounced both

Stor - DAHL

and

STOR - dl

Which is it?

If you want the pronoucation to be as close to Norwegian as possible (he was of Norwegian ancestry) the emphasis should be pretty much equal on both syllables; Stor [like "tour" with an "s" in front of it and a rolling "r"] - dal ["d", about the same "a" sound as in "grandpa" and then a kind of soft "l"].

Guest Bill Barton

It'll be too late anyway as I'm on the air in less than an hour-and-a-half, but for next time around...

Maarten van Regteben Altena?

Man, that's a mouthful! :o

Edited by Bill Barton

It'll be too late anyway as I'm on the air in less than an hour-and-a-half, but for next time around...

Maarten van Regteben Altena?

Man, that's a mouthful! :o

if ever you run into a dutch name again, try this site:

http://www2.rnw.nl/mu/en/behind/pronunciations/

it has short pronuciation clips.

Maarten Altena is covered, but without the van Regteren part, which is pronounced as "van", with "ah" and "Regteren" with stress on the first syllable only; "Regt-" has a short sharp "è" and a typical dutch "g" that's more like "kh", "-eren" is pronounced as "-uh ruh", without a real "n" in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom Harrell

When Charlie Rose did a piece on him for Sixty Minutes a couple of years ago, he placed the accent on the second syllable.

But Saturday Les Davis of Sirius played a song of his, and placed the accent on the first syllable.

Anybody sure?

When given a choice, always bet against Charlie Rose. He's a friggin' idiot.