Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

I just received this one today and have really been enjoying it.

Thanks for the rec, Late!

Very cool — glad you dig!

I just received a big OJC order on Thursday, and had a chance last night to devote around four hours to some serious listening — courtesy of new Grado headphones!

Here are a few mini-reviews, after my first go-round with these discs:

f69847xtnhs.jpg

What have I been thinking all these years? I've had Henry on Brilliant Corners now for about 17 years ... and for some reason have never purchased a Henry-led session — until now. Wow. What sweet-and-sour alto playing; I really like his phrasing. Many thumbs-up for this one. Will have to check out the other Henry sessions ...

c55902pvkr5.jpg

Ahh ... Buck Clayton with Buddy Tate. This one just makes you feel good. Nothing that will make you sit up in your chair and holler ... just elegant, blues-drenched chorus after chorus. Good with a little whiskey.

c4200604o62.jpg

Another one — what the hell was I thinking? I have a fair amount of Mal on record, but, for some reason, this one just kept slipping under the radar. A big mistake! An intriguing record, and not just for the presence of Coltrane — one to return to with more concentration.

f31717a2u80.jpg

The Jackie collection (on OJC) is now complete (well, except for the side with John Jenkins — d'oh!). What a nice one to save for last! The more I return to Jackie's work on Prestige, the more I value it. I play just about all the Prestige stuff more than, say, Swing Swang Swingin' or Capuchin Swing. Those two are both fine records, but the Prestige work just grips me more. McLean really is one of the consummate "blues" players in jazz.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one I don't think has been mentioned. Taft Jordan's Mood Indigo. This was originally released on the Prestige Moodsville label, but has been augmented by the addition of a half a dozen songs from The Swingville All-Stars. All in all, a Baker's Dozen worth of tracks. The Moodsville entry features Jordan along with Kenny Burrell, Richard Wyands, Joe Benjamin and Charlie Persip. The Swingville segment has Jordan, Al Sears on tenor, Hilton Jefferson on alto, Don Abney on piano and down in the engine room, Wendell Marshall and Gus Johnson.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but some awful nice music nonetheless. And the inclusion of the Swingville material keeps this from bogging down like some Moodsvilles have a tendency to do. Jordan is a marvelous player. His open horn has a fat, smoky, burnished tone to it, while muted, he's just plain fine and mellow. Kenny Burrell acquits himself especially well on this one.

Worth looking up.

Up over and out.

Here's one I don't think has been mentioned. Taft Jordan's Mood Indigo. This was originally released on the Prestige Moodsville label, but has been augmented by the addition of a half a dozen songs from The Swingville All-Stars

That All Stars date was one of my favorite Swingvilles. I didn't know about this reissue. Thanks for pointing it out.

As long as I'm here, I'll add a few more personal favorites to the listings:

Taft Jordan: Mood Indigo - Joe recommended this to me on the BN Board a few years back when I was looking for Hilton Jefferson recordings. I picked it up, found some good Hilton Jefferson, and also found Taft Jordan. I've enjoyed this one since then.

Mentioned

Continuing my series of "finally checked it out because of this thread and/or specific discussion of the date here" posts:

f61297xbvry.jpg

Despite being quite short (31:00) this is a SUPERB date. The choice of themes is really quite fresh, even the "standards" are not overplayed and then you get stuff like "The Very Young" which is a gorgeous ballad that I doubt has ever been done by anyone else. Curson's tone is fat and brassy, with a tendency to focus on the middle to lower registers of the horn that I love.

In the past couple weeks I've been listening a lot to Curson's work with Mingus on the Candid recordings, and that to me makes this leader date even more remarkable. Curson is in a totally different bag here, yet he sounds totally convincing in BOTH worlds. Very impressive.

Gildo Mahones is someone I'm not very familiar with as a pianist either, but he's on the job here, with a palpable Latin influence.

Excellent recording by RVG as well...Ozzie Cadena produced this originally, so I wonder, was it destined for Savoy before ending up originally on Prestige?

Anyway, this is an OJC "Limited Edition," don't let it slip by. It's just too bad they couldn't have found some other Curson date to pair it with on CD, 31:00 is way too short, but still don't let that stop you...quality trumps quantity any day in my book.

Edited by DrJ

I don't think this one's been mentioned yet ... at least in this thread. (Missed it, if so.)

B000093U2J.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yes .. I have always loved this album; but what about reissuing his three great albums on RCA. Some of it appeared on "The Arrangers" CD, but a nice two-CD set would contain all of this wonderful and very dynamic music...

INSIGHT Rod Levitt Orchestra R.C.A. Victor

SOLID GROUND Rod Levitt Orchestra R.C.A. Victor

FORTY SECOND STREET Rod Levitt Orchestra R.C.A. Victor

Garth -- I recall mentioning the Levitt RCA's to Michael Cuscuna several years back as a possible Mosaic set, but Cuscuna felt that there might be too few potential buyers. So far there are least two of us, because all I have are the Riverside and "Insight." BTW, when the whole Wyntonian era began to manifest itself, particularly Wynton's lame compositional salutes to THE TRADITION, I often though of Levitt, who could quite naturally work deep and subtle homages to the jazz past into music that also was undeniably his own and was damn good music too.

Garth -- I recall mentioning the Levitt RCA's to Michael Cuscuna several years back as a possible Mosaic set, but Cuscuna felt that there might be too few potential buyers. So far there are least two of us, because all I have are the Riverside and "Insight." BTW, when the whole Wyntonian era began to manifest itself, particularly Wynton's lame compositional salutes to THE TRADITION, I often though of Levitt, who could quite naturally work deep and subtle homages to the jazz past into music that also was undeniably his own and was damn good music too.

It constantly amazes me what does, and, of course, does NOT get reissued. I guess it is an imposition of my own tastes, but I wonder who makes these decisions, and what marketing data they have to justify their actions. Hmmmmmmm... I could just as easily be talking about the films released from Hollywood .... Which bright-eyed studio exec greenlights some of them suckers??

Regarding the Levitt RCA albums, I am surprised that RCA in Europe has not reissued them in their rather active jazz reissue series (ref. the Fresh Sounds website).

• 3 weeks later...

I've been enjoying checking out everyone's posts on this thread!!! In fact, whatever you are doing has worked and when I get paid on Friday, I'm going to make a big dent in my paycheck via the OJC catalog. Of course, I already have quite a few, but seeing the LP and/or CD covers for the ones I don't have in my collection makes this jazz addict want to buy, buy, buy! Keep 'em coming, as I have 2 more days 'til pay and I'm going to refer directly to what's in this thread as I buy (and leave enough money to pay some bills, get some food in the house)! :g

Marla

Here are a couple of other OJC's I don't think have been mentioned that are well worth checking out. Two that would surely qualify if Ccncord decides to downsize the catalogue.

The first is Paul Horn's "Something Blue". I know what you're saying, is this the one in the Taj Mahal or the one in the Great Pyramid? Well, it's neither. What it is is some kick ass hard bop. Horn on alto is extrememly reminiscent of Cannonball Adderley. Yeah, there's some flute things, but I even found them to be more than tolerable and I'm not a fan of the flute at all. Emil Richards mans the vibes on this one and he's no slouch. Some very early Billy Higgens on drums.

Speaking of flutes and the alto, my second recommendation is Ken McIntyre's "Stone Blues". Again, just some rock solid music. His second recording.

Up over and out.

An interesting (at least to me) aside:

The city library here has recently been purchasing a fair amount of OJC titles for their collection. Some, like Rod Levitt's album, will likely go the way of the deletion axe if Concord decides to make this kind of move. What a great thing for a library to do — get ahold of this stuff now, and keep it available (hopefully for a long time) for the public! I wonder if anyone there has been reading posts here ... ?

Just yesterday, I checked out Gene Ammons' Groove Blues from the library. :party:

(And ... they're getting in some Ernie Henry!)