1 Teddy''''s Ready $7.99 [Teddy Edwards]

=============================================================

1 Sail Away $7.99 [Tom Harrell]

1 West Coast Sound 1 $7.99 [shelly Manne]

I have these, and enjoy them all. I also have some of the George Russells from a compilation I bought when ABC owned the Riverside catalogue, and enjoy that too. :tup

Doesn't Concord tend to keep most of their own discs in print?

Absolutely not.

Damn...

I opened a second emusic account tonight to at least get some lo-fi tracks to check out...

I have most of the Fantasy box sets (Trane Prestige, Miles Prestige, Monk Riverside, etc), but "only" about 100 individual discs, exclusive of the 200 or 300 I downloaded from emusic in the unlimited days. It was always easy putting off the OJC and OBC discs because they were so readily available...

I guess I'm not sure if this is in the current Fantasy catalog or not but I stumbled across Johnny Griffin's Way Out on Riverside. It does not appear to be on eMusic for some reason, one of the few I'm aware of from Riverside/Prestige/etc.

Anyway, it is Griffin, Kenny Drew, Wilbur Ware and Philly Joe Jones playing 6 tracks. Nice, probably not essential.

Emusic is still a good (and cheap) way to go. And the quality is not as "low-fi" as you might think.

I have most of the Fantasy box sets (Trane Prestige, Miles Prestige, Monk Riverside, etc), but "only" about 100 individual discs, exclusive of the 200 or 300 I downloaded from emusic in the unlimited days. It was always easy putting off the OJC and OBC discs because they were so readily available...

If you use the same emusic account (e-mail) that you did back in the "unlimited" days, you should be able to re-download everything from before (for free), with the better mp3 quality.

Emusic is still a good (and cheap) way to go. And the quality is not as "low-fi" as you might think.

If you use the same emusic account (e-mail) that you did back in the "unlimited" days, you should be able to re-download everything from before (for free), with the better mp3 quality.

I've done that, but my days as an unlimited emusic member were not as productive as I would have liked them to be. I was distracted with my dissertation and only managed to find time to download 200-300 discs off emusic.

I agree that the sound isn't too bad, but the consensus around here seems to be that it is lo-fi, hence my disclaimer. I ruined my ears a long time ago and usually can't hear much (often any) difference between various media or remasterings.

Edited by J Larsen

A lot of Fantasy CDs are also on iTunes at $6-7 a pop. Sometimes you can buy all the individual tracks, sometimes not.

I doubt those will be pulled when the physical CDs are.

Bertrand.

FWIW, even to my damaged ears the MP3s off emusic sound notably better than the AACs off iTunes. And they're cheaper.

1. The catalog clearly states on the second page that it is only a fraction of their total holdings. No need to panic (yet).

2. Is this a concensus that e-music mp3s sound better than iTunes? I've never heard e-music, but iTunes sound fine to me. Can I put e-music stuff on my iPod?

Bertrand.

1. The catalog clearly states on the second page that it is only a fraction of their total holdings. No need to panic (yet).

2. Is this a concensus that e-music mp3s sound better than iTunes? I've never heard e-music, but iTunes sound fine to me. Can I put e-music stuff on my iPod?

Bertrand.

Emusic mp3s sound quite good, and you can put them on an Ipod or any other player. You can also burn them to cd. Emusic files contain NO DRMs. You are free to do whatever you want with their files. Once you download them they belong to you. You own them.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you (at least in the southwest CT/ NY Metro area) know Sally White, owner of Sally's Records in Westport. Hands down the greatest little music store in the world, its amazing how much she crams into her little space, and 75% of it is jazz ...

Anywhoo, I visited with her yesterday and I was sure to ask her what she thought of Concord taking over Fantasy. Keep in mind that she loved Carl Jefferson and has grown to loathe what the current owners did to Carl's creation. What Sally told me is:

They have told me they are not going to touch the catalog.

Now, in the same breath she acknowledged that these may turn out to be "famous last words" but she also informed me that she has continued to order from the Fantasy labels and nothing has been deleted. And those of you who know her store, know that her stock goes very deep in all the important labels she carries.

Some of you (at least in the southwest CT/ NY Metro area) know Sally White, owner of Sally's Records in Westport. Hands down the greatest little music store in the world, its amazing how much she crams into her little space, and 75% of it is jazz ...

Anywhoo, I visited with her yesterday and I was sure to ask her what she thought of Concord taking over Fantasy. Keep in mind that she loved Carl Jefferson and has grown to loathe what the current owners did to Carl's creation. What Sally told me is:

Now, in the same breath she acknowledged that these may turn out to be "famous last words" but she also informed me that she has continued to order from the Fantasy labels and nothing has been deleted. And those of you who know her store, know that her stock goes very deep in all the important labels she carries.

At last some good news about the Fantasy catalog. Thanks Dan.

What Sally told me is:

Now, in the same breath she acknowledged that these may turn out to be "famous last words" but she also informed me that she has continued to order from the Fantasy labels and nothing has been deleted.

So, that would indeed be good news, and we should be thankful for that, but what about additions to the catalog (new (re)issues)? I wonder what they'll offer besides rehashes (remasters) of previously issued titles, and compilations...

Thanks for the info, Dan. Didn't know about the record store -- where in Westport is it?

Guy

Guy, she is on Main Street, but just north of the main part of it (and the part with the very highest rents). So from Route 1 in Norwalk, after you go over the bridge in Westport, you turn left onto main street, go past that main section, she's on the right past the second light. Tell her I sent you ;) and know too that she went to high school with Horace Silver and remains friends to this day. :)

Jim, as far as new reissues goes, she did acknowledge that she doesn't know if they'll continue to plumb deeper into the catalog or not. :huh:

Guest akanalog

let me say that here in nyc, i have seen quite a few OJCs at the used record stores and i mean still in the plastic unopened OJCs. which either means they are promos or deleted titles, right? might not mean anything but this is what i have been seeing-especially at academy. i specifically remember seeing the bill harris CD mentioned earlier in this thread as well as some more common stuff (ron carter albums for instance).

The local Tower has increased the price of all the Fantasy cds at least by $2.00.

I imagine prices have gone up everywhere?

Alldirect.com is still selling the regular OJCs for $7.99 and the K2s for $9.99.

Unfortunately for some members I don't think they ship to Europe.

I have a good friend who lives in Ct., and we try and get together at least a couple of times a year. When we do, we usually meet in Westport for a bite to eat and then head to Sally's. She has a great spirit, a very fine store, and beyond that, she's a great salesperson. If every town had a Sally White running a Sally's Records, jazz would not be a marginal part of the record business. I can guarantee that.

Edited by paul secor