Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

Just a gentle reminder of how Concord has treated "their own" catalog. I do not believe their PR dept. I never really understood how Fantasy managed such a huge catalog of very slow selling titles. I still believe as inventories dwindle, much will go away. I heard rumors of a big lp "fire sale" recently.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a gentle reminder of how Concord has treated "their own" catalog. I do not believe their PR dept. I never really understood how Fantasy managed such a huge catalog of very slow selling titles. I still believe as inventories dwindle, much will go away. I heard rumors of a big lp "fire sale" recently.

But is this really any different from how most labels have handled their catalog over the years? I surely don't have to remind you, Chuck, of how many Blue Note or OJC labels titles were oop over the years on LP (let alone the myriad smaller labels). Heck, when I was discovering jazz in the early 80s, I had to hunt down oop Mingus for crissakes - and to me that's like making Shakespeare unavailable. Weren't deletions a necessary part of the business model, cutting the chaff as it were and opening up shelf space for new records? I can't help but think that we may have become spoiled somewhat by Fantasy's willingness (or ability) to keep everything in print.

Don't get me wrong - like everyone else I think it will be unfortunate if Concord deletes titles, but are we expecting/presuming too much in thinking that they wouldn't/shouldn't? Or that perhaps Fantasy's decision to keep everything in print may have helped lead to the circumstances requiring them to sell out in the first place? Given the widely reported "low sales" of most jazz titles it's astounding that Fantasy was able to do what they did for so long and remain profitable. Even before the sale to Concord I figured it was only a matter of time before Fantasy made much of their catalog on-line only, per something like emusic or itunes. I certainly hope that Concord continues to keep the OJC titles in-print, but i find it curious that we expect them to do something that no other label - jazz or otherwise - has managed to do with their respective back catalogs.

But is this really any different from how most labels have handled their catalog over the years? I surely don't have to remind you, Chuck, of how many Blue Note or OJC labels titles were oop over the years on LP (let alone the myriad smaller labels). Heck, when I was discovering jazz in the early 80s, I had to hunt down oop Mingus for crissakes - and to me that's like making Shakespeare unavailable. Weren't deletions a necessary part of the business model, cutting the chaff as it were and opening up shelf space for new records? I can't help but think that we may have become spoiled somewhat by Fantasy's willingness (or ability) to keep everything in print.

Don't get me wrong - like everyone else I think it will be unfortunate if Concord deletes titles, but are we expecting/presuming too much in thinking that they wouldn't/shouldn't? Or that perhaps Fantasy's decision to keep everything in print may have helped lead to the circumstances requiring them to sell out in the first place? Given the widely reported "low sales" of most jazz titles it's astounding that Fantasy was able to do what they did for so long and remain profitable. Even before the sale to Concord I figured it was only a matter of time before Fantasy made much of their catalog on-line only, per something like emusic or itunes. I certainly hope that Concord continues to keep the OJC titles in-print, but i find it curious that we expect them to do something that no other label - jazz or otherwise - has managed to do with their respective back catalogs.

What don't you understand when I said "I never really understood how Fantasy managed such a huge catalog of very slow selling titles"?

The terrible situation of you hunting Mingus titles in the early '80s had me in friggin' tears. :cool:

What don't you understand when I said "I never really understood how Fantasy managed such a huge catalog of very slow selling titles"?

The terrible situation of you hunting Mingus titles in the early '80s had me in friggin' tears. :cool:

When I first started listening to jazz in the mid 1960s there was very little Charlie Parker in print.

• 1 year later...

Up, I have been buying a bunch of $3.99 cds and up on the Amazon resellers. I'm amazed at what is no longer available, now.

I bought a used copy of Johnny Griffin's Return of the Griffin locally, and checked on amazon.com to find that the only copy for sale cost $97.

Many of the 2nd-tier (in name recognition only--in other words, the non-Trane/Miles/Bill Evans OJCs) are vanishing fast...I got much of what I wanted back in Dec. 2005 but am busily trying to fill in a few gaps. No way I'll be able to get everything that's still on my OJC wishlist, but consider myself lucky to have what I already do. Wonder how many of these will potentially ever see the light of day as Japanese imports...just got a newly-reissued Ernie Henry that way.

I think we should anticipate a gutting of the Fantasy catalog, therefore a buying guide of likely deletions is in order.

I could list around 200 titles but will start with one likely to be missed:

Hal Singer Blue Stompin' with Charlie Shavers, Ray Bryant, Wendell Marshall and Osie Johnson. This is a fantastic recording I've enjoyed for 30+ years. I pulled it out tonight to play and this thread dawned on me.

Please list your recommendations.

Looks like someone was prescient. At least he hasn't said, "I told you so." :cool:

As people are thinking big, don't forget alldirect. "Regular" OJCs are $8.65, the limiteds $10.68. Free shipping over $99. I put in an order for 19 discs mentioned in this thread last night. :blink::g:excited: (My 1st multi-emoticon-in-a-row post, but in this case it's warranted.) And hey, if they don't go OOP, I've improved my quality of life sooner than later. (Who knows, maybe when the new owners see the sales figures for December maybe they'll think it's normal and keep the titles in print. I know, wishful thinking.)

So AllDirect has gone in the tank as well now, eh?

dustbin_of_history.gif

I just let out some deep moans and sighs and hit the button to order a dozen OJCs from my want list at amazon.de - about one fourth of what's on the list, but some titles are already offered at ridiculous prices. Back to the second hand shops and markets, I guess.

Up, I have been buying a bunch of $3.99 cds and up on the Amazon resellers. I'm amazed at what is no longer available, now.

I hate to give away a trade secret, but check out Newbury Comics...

D'oh! :angry:;)

Kalo is right... I've harvested quite a few titles from there of late.

That's the place!

That's the place!

While you have to factor in the different shipping charges, many times discs from Newbury are often cheaper via the Amazon site. I always compare.

That's the place!

While you have to factor in the different shipping charges, many times discs from Newbury are often cheaper via the Amazon site. I always compare.

Chuck's right--I've always bought through the Amazon site (be sure to use Organissimo as your search portal). It's almost always cheaper than buying directly from Newbury (unless, like Kalo, you happen to live nearby).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...