Top 10 Greeeeeeaziest Records Ever!

Big Al

I think Shirley might have a tough time. Because although she's surely one of the top organists of all time, imho she never made THE record that represented her thing. "One Of Mine"...come closest for me.

It's like being watched by "Organ Big Brother." :P

Or Big Brothers... ;)

2706567.jpg

LOVE this record!

Edited by JSngry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o.k...here's a twist....

Greasy records you should have, but never will....  These are some of my all time fav underdog organ sides...

1.Sam Lazar "Playback" on Argo.  Nobody knows Sam Lazar because he only made 2 obscure records.  But believe me, "Playback" is one of the baddest, greasiest records EVER made by ANYBODY.  He kills on this stuff.  And then faded into obscurity.  By comparison, Baby Face Willette is a well known superstar.

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?

coleman85.jpg

Sam Lazar recorded three times for Argo:

Playback

Soul Merchant

Space Flight

The latter with Grant Green.

Damn you Dan!!!! It's like being watched by "Organ Big Brother." :P

:g

I think Shirley might have a tough time. Because although she's surely one of the top organists of all time, imho she never made THE record that represented her thing. "One Of Mine"...come closest for me.

Or Big Brothers... ;)

2706567.jpg

LOVE this record!

Yes!! YES YES! Have you heard this one yet, Soulstream? I can't believe you have if you think she never made THE record.

I hereby withdraw "Queen Of The Organ" and replace it with "One For Me".

Or Big Brothers... ;)

2706567.jpg

LOVE this record!

Yes!! YES YES! Have you heard this one yet, Soulstream? I can't believe you have if you think she never made THE record.

I hereby withdraw "Queen Of The Organ" and replace it with "One For Me".

Well Jim, you are right in the sense that this is THE record for Shirley Scott. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be widely known. I do have it, and it's the one Shirley leader date I put on regularly.

"What Makes Harold Sing"...now that's some sweet stuff. :D

• 3 months later...

Here's ten of my current greasiest faves:

1. Big John Patton 'Memphis to New York Spirit'

2. Big John Patton 'Understanding'

3. Big John Patton 'Boogaloo'

4. Lou Donaldson 'Alligator Boogaloo'

5. Big John Patton 'Got a Good Thing Going'

6. Brother Jack McDuff 'Moon Rapin''

7. Pat Martino 'El Hombre'

8. Lonnie Smith 'Think !'

9. Harold Vick 'Steppin' Out' (extra lashings of the Castrol GTX on this one..)

10. Clarence Wheeler & the Enforcers 'The Love I've Been Looking For'

I would also add in Big John Patton 'Let Em Roll' but its a tad behind on the grease factor although a superlative album.

Edited by sidewinder

I had a friend over and we were burning some of my B-3 cds so we could make compilation cds. I stacked them all up and there's about 200 of them! I never knew I had so many. We're having fun trying to make compilations cds. It's been over a week now, and we are listening to all of them to pick out tunes.

How could I possibly pick out 10? It's impossible!

I would also add in Big John Patton 'Let Em Roll' but its a tad behind on the grease factor although a superlative album.

Also, if you're into the Patton/Green grease thing. Green's "Blues For Lou" is one that has definately grown on me over the years. Nice and raw and really, really cooking.

Also, if you're into the Patton/Green grease thing. Green's "Blues For Lou" is one that has definately grown on me over the years. Nice and raw and really, really cooking.

The Natural Soul is another artery-cloggin' affair.

Thanks, I'll check it out. :tup Just about to take a look over at Dusty's site anyway to see if they have any new greasy comestibles.. :g

2.Baby Face Willete "Behind The 8 Ball" also on Argo. People think BFW didn't make anything worth listening to after the Blue Note glory days. Wrong. "Behind The 8 Ball" is one of the all time great organ sides. Maybe even showing more depth than his BNs (even those are classics, no doubt about it).

I want this. :(

• 3 weeks later...

after reading this thread, and checking out some of the releases mentioned, i made a compilation cd of grant green funky jazz tunes. admittedly, i mostly end up listening only to the green solos, because he doesn't improvise when someone else is soloing, but here is what i have:

ain't it funky now 1970

the rest is live:

houston person -real thing 1973

pain

crazy legs

at the lighthouse 1972

windjammer

jan jan

'alive' 1970

let the music take your mind

hey, western uniion man

sookie, sookie

after reading this thread, and checking out some of the releases mentioned, i made a compilation cd of grant green funky jazz tunes. admittedly, i mostly end up listening only to the green solos, because he doesn't improvise when someone else is soloing, but here is what i have:

ain't it funky now 1970

the rest is live:

houston person -real thing 1973

pain

crazy legs

at the lighthouse 1972

windjammer

jan jan

'alive' 1970

let the music take your mind

hey, western uniion man

sookie, sookie

thanks, but i'm not subjecting myself to that thing again. i learned my lesson after giving the Grant Green live boxes a chance - time and time again. they never got any better. soulless, extremely overrated musician. perhaps not as a guitarist, but definitely as a jazz guitarist. i wouldn't even call it jazz. and he plays standards either too fast or too slow. just doesn't seem to know how to get into the right groove. days of sookie, sookie, for example. a tune that people usually play in a lush, relaxed manner. he rushes through it like he's going to die the next year.

• 1 year later...

Time to dig up an ancient thread once again since I'm buying tons of organ albums these days... :D

2. Blue Mode - Reuben Wilson

5 BLUE MODE - Reuben Wilson

After reading this I ordered a copy of this OOP disc for ten Euros (lucky me!).

I really like Reuben Wilson's Love Bug - is this really that much better? :)

9. Hootin' & Tootin' - Fred Jackson

4 HOOTIN' AND TOOTIN' - Fred Jackson

I would've ordered this one as well if it wasn't so hard to find for a decent price. Gotta keep looking...

2 LIVE AT THE CLUB MOZAMBIQUE - Lonnie Smith (with again, George Benson ("I can't stand it..."))

3 BLUE JOHN - Big John Patton (I know this may not be Patton's best playing but the presence of George Braith playing that double sax contraption makes this a NASTY date)

Both of those are on the way to me right now! :party:

10 STOP AND LISTEN - Baby Face Willette (I don't have FACE TO FACE as it has become quite hard to come by - don't have a hissy, I'll get it when I can!)

I want that Baby Face Willette Select that the Mosaic guys hinted at sooo bad...

The only album he plays on that I own is Lou Donaldson's Here 'Tis which I love.

Edited by Kyo

2. Blue Mode - Reuben Wilson

5 BLUE MODE - Reuben Wilson

After reading this I ordered a copy of this OOP disc for ten Euros (lucky me!).

I really like Reuben Wilson's Love Bug - is this really that much better? :)

Yes, yes, and HELL YES!!!! :tup:tup:tup