Three days into the new year

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

Well, OK: two and one-half days.

Anyone else travelling the same road? Trying to see how far into the year you can make it without buying music? Actually sitting your ass down and listening to what you already own?

Sixty+ hours and counting.

Feelin' pretty good.

I set a goal. I have to listen to 100 CDs before I can buy one more. Multiple-CD sets count as 1 CD. I have a CD player at work so I figure I'll limit my purchases to one CD every 3 weeks. Three days in and so far, so good.

Listening to Roscoe Mitchell's In Walked Buckner right now.

So far so good. Considering I picked up 50 discs since the week before Christmas, I really should be able to go without buying for a little while as I have some digesting to do. However, I have listened to all of them at least once, and most of them twice.

And I succesfully ignored a Django's "Notify Me." That's progress!

I'm going to try to make until the 3rd week of the month. And I don't think I'll go on a binge like I did last month for quite some time. Unless the Blue Note catalog is in danger, or Mosaic has a buy one get one free - you know, something like that! :rolleyes:

Yes, I've gone cold-turkey, too. I placed a few orders last month, including a pre-order for the next few Erstwhile releases which are coming out this week, but that's it for a while.

I'm not setting a specific goal for how long I'm going to hold off. I'm just planning on taking it one month at a time.

I was doing fine until I 'accidentaly' stepped into that secondhand book and recordshop.

And there there were those mint vinyls from Fanfare (Teddy Wilson America Dances Broadcast 1939), from SwingHouse (Count Basie 1943 broadcasts) and First Heard (Charlie Barnet 1941-1946 broadcasts with Dodo Marmarosa, Peanuts Holland, Shorty Rogers, Al Haig, etc.). All for a few peanuts.

But I was strong enough to resist getting more.

I swear I will be even stronger from now on :rolleyes:

Hey, I did ths the last three months of last year; I'll be damned if I'm gonna try to make it through another month. In fact, it's too late already...

Word.

While I didn't stop purchases completely, I probably only bought maybe five or six.

The gloves are off boys, I'm putting in an order tonight.

Nothing for me either but you know today is Monday and new material doesn't come out until Tuesday. There are a few things coming out in the next couple of weeks but Alan reports that the Mosaic Columbia Swing Sessions are coming out on January 18. Maybe we're all hiding out until then.

Well, I just bought a couple more Ikea CD shelves and am in the process of reorganizing my collection, so while sorting through a couple thousand CDs I should come across a rather large handful that I haven't listened to in ages (or at all :unsure: ) so that may keep me distracted for a week or two. I also barely cracked the three Mosaics I received for Christmas.

Hmmm... do discs that I purchased last year but haven't received yet count? I'm awaiting an order of Jazz in Paris discs...

But so far this year, I haven't purchased any new discs yet... :g

Guest Chaney

Hmmm... do discs that I purchased last year but haven't received yet count?  I'm awaiting an order of Jazz in Paris discs... 

Well, as I did the same, the answer is 'No', they don't count. :winky:

Well, I just bought a couple more Ikea CD shelves

AH! Thanks for reminding me...with the demise of 9-track takes (the old reel to reel mag tapes, data transfer standard for many years until BASF stopped making them two years ago), I have room for LEKSVIK! I think I'll pick it up in the morning and when I'm done assembling it and filling it up, I'll stack some boxed sets on top and order the Tal Farlow Mosaic!

Guest Chaney

Hmmm... do discs that I purchased last year but haven't received yet count?  I'm awaiting an order of Jazz in Paris discs... 

Well, as I did the same, the answer is 'No', they don't count. :winky:

Same goes for a few Mosaics I ordered last year :w

:g

Funny on so many insider levels. :w

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just noticed that Can's Tago Mago has been released on hybrid SACD. :excited:

Edited by Chaney