What have you done for a living?

Now that we have a thread devoted to present occupations, I thought it might be interesting to see what led to them.

My first job (1948) was artist apprentice for Fona, a Danish chain of music stores.

I successively (though not always successfully) morphed into:

• Artist (designing window displays) - Fona, Copenhagen, Denmark
    Desk clerk - U.S. Air Base, Keflavik, Iceland
    Announcer, disc jockey - U.S. Armed Forces Radio Service, Keflavik, Iceland
    TV News and weather person - U.S. Armed Forces Radio Service, Keflavik, Iceland
    Store salesman - Record dept. at Doubleday on 5th Avenue (Christmas relief), NYC
    Producer/Writer - WCAU Radio (CBS), Philadelphia, PA
    Jazz DJ - WHAT-FM, Philadelphia, PA
    Producer/writer (liner notes) - Riverside Records, NYC
    Producer/writer/and a dozen other titles - Prestige Records, Bergenfield, NJ
    Autograph signer for Benny Goodman (really!)
    Mail room worker - Current Magazine, NYC
    Continuity Director - WNEW Radio, NYC
    Announcer/producer - WBAI-FM, NYC
    General Manager - WBAI-FM, NYC
    Producer/Programme Director - BBC Radio, London/Hartwest Productions, New York
    Freelance writer/record producer - NYC
    Freelance graphics designer - NYC

Plus various asides, including:

• Operator of "Storyville Club" - Copenhagen, Denmark
    Jazz show presenter - Danish Radio, Copenhagen, Denmark
    TV host/co-producer ("The Jazz Set")
    Artist (drawing roaches and things for Yellow Pages display listings) - Philly area
    Preparing text and art work for Early Childhood RFPs
    Translating and converting to a data base 18th century Danish slave tax records from St. Croix.

Reason for edit: Remembered a couple of jobs I had left out.

Edited by Christiern

RFP = Request For Proposal

Show was produced in Trenton, NJ, shown on PBS (1972)

Weekly half-hour in a club setting. Guests played and were awkwardly interviewed by me. They included the following and their groups:

• Larry Johnson (blues singer/guitarist), Ray Bryant, Jimmy Heath, Charles Mingus, Charlie McGhee, Bill Evans, Lonnie Liston Smith, Randy Weston, Roy Haynes, Clifford Jordan, Joe Lee Wilson, Rashied Ali, Ray Draper, Sam Wooding, Joe McPhee, Jeremy Steig, Bobbi Humphrey, Keno Duke, and Charles McPherson.Ted Curson, Irene Reid.

Sidemen and vocalists included:

• George Coleman, Stanley Cowell, Bill Lee, Sheila Jordan, Tootie Heath, Clive Stevens, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Freddy Waits, Curtis Fuller, Bobby Jones, Kenny Barron, Mtume, Stu Williamson, Bu Pleasant, Louis Metcalfe, Jimmy Wright, Harold SMith, John Foster, Jimmy Shirley, Al Drears, Frank Strozier, Lee Scippers, Clifford Thornton, John Gilmore, Cecil McBee, Carlos Ward, Norman Connors, Marty Morel, Mike Kull, Eddie Gomez, Bob Cranshaw, Harold Mabern, Mickey Roker, Lonnie Hillyer, Leroy Williams, Harold Dodson, Sam Jones, Roy Brooks

I was sick when the first show (Randy Weston) was scheduled for taping, so Dan Morgenstern subbed for me on that one.

Edited by Christiern

Ahh; thank you!

As for me, I’ve been an accountant for so long, I forgot about the odd jobs I held down before becoming an accountant:

Summer 1985: worked in Costume/Character Dept. at Six Flags Over Texas, dressing up as Bugs Bunny, Foghorn Leghorn, and Sylvester the Cat among others. Ahhhh, the memories THAT job provided!

Summer 1987: worked in food service for SFOT. THAT job also provided a bunch of great memories, some I can’t remember, others I wish I couldn’t! ;)

Spring 1988 thru Spring 1990: delivered pizzas for Pizza Inn. That job damn near cured me of fast-food pizza for life!

Ever since then it’s been nothin’ but number-crunching!

Stock Boy - In the family owned Pharmacy

Dishwasher/Busboy - On the family owned restaurant

Grunt - For a swimming pool construction company

I did a little of everything there, but mainly the manual labor shit . <_<

Farm Equipment Operator/Irrigator

Collector - For a high interest small loan company

This was fun when it started, but sad when we had to go reposses people's TVs and couches that he put up for collateral.

Collections Rep - For a large mortgage company

Car Salesman - :tup Had some fun and made some good money in the beginning.

The problem was I was very young and trying to sell luxury cars to a mainly retired customer base, tough for a kid. When the car market turned south, all I did was sit around for 10-12 hours a day bullshitting with my fellow salesmen.

Burned me out real fast.

Lawn Tech - Worked for a medium sized lawn care company (All Green Corp.) that did fertilizer and weed control on residential and commercial accounts. We had about 40 locations across the country.

Operations Manager - For the same lawn care company as above.

Branch Manager - Became Branch Manager when All Green was purchased by TruGreen Chemlawn. It didn't last very long. I got into it with one of the division Vice Presidents over procedures. Most of the upper management had their heads up their asses, a bunch of cocky motherfuckers with no field experience.

I had the last laugh on Chemlawn when I quite, since I held all the licenses, I charged them a huge fee so as they could continue to operate. Until they became licensed on their own, I had the authority to conduct weekly inspections to make sure they were in compliance. Wouldn't you know it, I always managed to find a problem or two. ;)

Before I quit Chemlawn I met my current partners who expressed an interest in starting up a business in AZ. We put the deal together and the rest is history.

I employed about 180 people last year. :tup

Edited by catesta

Floral delivery (Can you say "spilled water on the car carpet?")

Bowling alley snack bar attendant (How bout "free soft pretzels?")

Busboy for Middle Eastern restaurant (Free grub, good stuff)

Janitor/Delivery Truck Washer for hospital supply company (Rough work, but worked well with my school schedule when I was in school).

Shipping/inventory clerk for motion picture industry--where I toil to this day, wasting precious hours of my only life when I'm pretty sure I should be out snowboarding or skateboarding or playing hoop or painting or listening to jazz or doing something fun. :(;)

Hope I don't forget anything:

Stock Clerk/cashier at Woolworth's

Tennis instructor/court supervisor, Wilton Parks and Recreation

Party supply deliveryman, Taylor Rental (this job was off and on for many years, in between most of the following)

Research Assistant, Washington University

Teaching Assisant, Washington University

Work crew for tent rental company (paid cash under the table, had to sue him for my last paycheck)

Line work at small Medical manufacturing plant (I worked the end of the line, slipping the finished product (sterile hand and fingernail scrubbers for surgeons) into the dispenser boxes and then into the shipping boxes)

Research Assistant, University of South Carolina

Cashier, A&P Supermarket

Managing Partner, Wimbledon Tennis Shop

Announcer, WTNT-Tallahassee (part-time)

telemarketing, cold calling for leads for a software company

Announcer, WMLO-Tallahassee (full-time)

Audio Production for a small commercial production house (horrible gig, martinet boss, killer deadlines but with stone age equipment that made it damn challenging to meet. Didn't last long-I wonder why?)

telemarketing (the infamous gig in the phone sex industry)

telemarketing, for a company selling a chemical to flush into your septic tank to breakdown the waste and prevent backups

free lance voice talent

Audio Production Manager, Virtual Languages

Edited by Dan Gould

Stock Clerk/cashier at Woolworth's

Me too!!!!!!

My first on the books gig was at the one in Rockefeller Center, till the Japanese bought it and tore it down. $4.50/hr! I also watched over women's underwear there. :rolleyes:

Since I came to the States in '89, in chronological order till my present gig -

Cashier at Weber's Discount joint in NY

Masseuse

Delivery boy

Furniture Mover

Tree doctor [a bitch of a job, but a $100/day in cash was good dough in Summer of '96]

Then I graduated, thank god.

(New Orleans) Orleans Parish Mosquito Control Inspector

We would go to known breeding sites and stand still for three minutes and count the number of mosquitoes that landed on you. By keeping track of the landing rates, they determined the migration of the mosquitoes. My partner must have had a different metabolism than I did, because he always got more mosquitoes landing on him than I did.

Sometimes it would be so bad we would stand still for twenty seconds and multiply out what the three minute total would be!

Edited by GA Russell

* grocery clerk

* mowed lawns

* warehouse stock boy at a printing company

* runner for statisticians at Arrowhead Staduim (KC Chiefs)

* banquet service

* waited tables (very briefly)

* record store clerk

* bartender

* radio DJ

* live DJ

* music writer/columnist

* archivist (Richard F. Wright Jazz Archive)

* audio digitization engineer (University of Texas-Austin, Library of Congress)

It's a clean theme.....

golf caddie (rake & clean traps)

golf pro-shop (clean clubs)

veterinary clinic (clean wounds)

landscape service (clean underbrush)

busboy (clean tables)

chemical company (clean dirty toxic barrels)

office cleaning company (clean ashtrays & toilets)

leather tannery (clean & tan hides)

antique store (clean & deliver furniture)

U.S. House of Representatives (clean up members 'messes')

U.S. Senate (same)

stay-at-home dad (clean house)

govt. consultant (clean up! $$$ :g )

Do I have to mention the time I ordered those stoopid Christmas cards from the back of the comic book when I was seven and my dad made me actually go out and sell them? Good; it was too traumatic...

Clerk/stockboy at a convenience store

Cleaning the kennels at a pet boarding place (okay; that one lasted three days)

Gardener's assistant

Construction (flunky at a Nuke plant being constructed)

U.S. Navy (electronics tech)

Manufacturing tech at an electronics firm

Tech Writer

Comic/Card shop owner/manager

The guy who sits in the booth at the gas station and is actually even more bored than he looks and could give a shit less about your stinking problems because he's in debt up to his eyeballs because his business failed.

Rent-a-cop at Target

Front lanes supervisor at Target

I may be missing some...

Brandon,

I had no idea ... I am going to check that out when I have time. I knew Dick when I was at KU, had him for a couple of classes, made contact with him a couple times post-graduation. More than anyone else, Dick fostered my interest in jazz.

Share more about the archive or PM me when you have a chance.

Eric

PS - I picked tobacco two summers ...

PSS - Just walked by Murphy on Sat after watching the Hawks spank the Horns :tup

Edited by Eric

*coupon arteest for yellow pages. (for pennies)

*busboy, dishwasher, salad bar stocker. (weekend tag team dish drying with black beauty snorting dishwasher guy!)

*yardman at a lumberyard. (fired for calling off to study for an art history final ... other yardmen subsequently brought up on grand larceny charges soon after for "trading" mowers for grass.)

*marketing intern, cartographer, advertising designer and pbx phone info ("hey, what time dee bus come?", where are you?, "at home".) for a small city transit authority.

*character licensing and toy development for #2 largest greeting card company. (damn Ziggy is hard to draw)

*industrial design and toy development for #2 largest toy company. (really miss those day long meetings)

*16 years of self-employed board work for toy, premium and consumer products. (at least no one tells me to turn down that racket my ears are sandwiched between)

*industrial design and toy development for #2 largest toy company. (really miss those day long meetings)

*16 years of self-employed board work for toy, premium and consumer products. (at least no one tells me to turn down that racket my ears are sandwiched between)

Every have to go to Toy Fair in NY? :tup I had to go a couple of times for one of my past jobs ... which include:

orderly in downtown Detroit ER (part of my father's campaign to make sure I didn't take life in the suburbs for granted)

"assistant" at med school dog labs (ditto)

assistant manager for bookstore

"writer" for Who's Who in America

writer/editor for a line of doll-collecting magazines ... everything from Barbies to one-of-a-kind artist dolls