new water releases

mike casinghino

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received Say It Loud today and this being my first Water release and the first time I ever heard this date I think they did a very nice job. Sounds great. Lou sounds good, almost like early 60s Lou (not impling criticism here) but I really like Blue on this record. I also like the liner notes (original and new ones). Also the quality of the paper used is good, not flimsy.

If you're into the grease, you need to get this.

The Baby Huey is very interesting to me, a lot of the bands I saw in Chicago in the period of '73 to '76 had the sound one way or another that Baby Huey and the Baby Sitters came up with. It's a blend of the sort of sounds that James Brown and Buddy Miles Express and Howlin' Wolf and many another band (including a bit of Santana) had at the time. . . well, it's black music and it's very powerful and trippy. I'm enjoying it a lot; the jazzy bits, and the dramatic bits that Huey injects. . . he was a great singer, it's a tight band, it's fun music.

• 4 weeks later...

Clem, funny you should mention Sill, because her first 2 albums on Rhino Handmade arrived yesterday. Never rated her back in the 70s when a good pal of otherwise unimpeachable taste played them for me, but now they hit with the impact of a steam train, this is now the third time Ive played them in 16 hours, a situation chez nous which is as rare as hens teeth! Me thinks the Water is not now far behind.

PS Zodiac!

• 1 month later...