Want to sell or trade?

Guest Chaney

As it's become obvious that folks joining this board and foolishy making their first post a sale / trade / auction offer will be attacked, maybe it would be a good idea to require a certain number of posts before a person would be allowed to sell. 20 posts, as on the Hoffman board?

If there is to be a rule, maye have that rule pinned in the Offering and Looking For... forum?

Might avoid future ugliness.

Opinions?

I don't know if we can measure this by # of posts. I think it would just be better if they get known a bit first. That's all.

Actually, it is standard that all newbies in the looking/offering for section have to undergo a type of hazing. That hazing consists of extended postal abuse from established members.

If he comes out of that alive and grinning, then he's one of us!

:g

I think this whole controversy is just a little silly.

If someone who has never posted here wants to offer something for sale, what's the big deal? I know it may be considered rude, but I don't think we need a "mininum post count" rule. Maybe a minimum post count "suggestion" instead?

The chances of me buying anything from a first-time poster is very small. I'd bet that is true for many others as well.

People that have been around for a long time and contribute to other discussions on the board will always have an advantage over newbies when offering something for sale.

Or we could all just leave people selling things in the Offering & Looking For forum alone, regardless of how many posts they have.

As long as they aren't spamming every forum, I see nothing wrong with the seller, in this case. I do see something wrong with the poster being "attacked" as Chaney put it.

I agree with Uncle Skid in that I'd be very unlikely to purchase something from a first time buyer.

I'm not sure whether a minimum post-count should be required or not either. I believe the SH Forums require you to have a minimum of 10-20 posts before you can offer to sell (or buy) anything on their site.

I know this because I (foolishly) put up a thread a while back that I was looking to buy some title, right after I registered, and didn't have the minimum number of posts. Seemed kind of silly to me in my case, since I was not selling something, and thereby wasn't a risk to anyone...

But if you're gonna post on someone else's board, you play by the rules they set, I suppose.

Edited by Aggie87

I think things are fine just as they are. I think everyone should post just as they see fit- if people want to attack the marketing newbies, go for it. If the newbies stick around, that's great. If not, oh well.

I actually get a kick out of watching the pack gather when a naive newbie wanders in and attempts to start out "on the wrong foot" (selling something or mentioning the wrong person)- kind of like Wild Kingdom, you know, "natural selection". :) I don't think it's particularly harmful to anyone or damaging to the board's "reputation". What, are we going to lose our government funding? This is (for the most part) not a mean spirited place- I sure wouldn't hang out here if it was. Anyone who survives their first few posts will find that out too.

wildkingdom.jpg

Chuck, are you related to Marlin Perkins by any chance? B-)

Edited by Free For All

Personally, I like the way things are now. I don't see the need for more rules. And if someone can't see the inherent tackiness of walking into a joint and setting up shop first thing without at least saying hi or buying a beer, well, what's wrong with a little ugliness? ;)

What the moose said... :tup

Personally, I like the way things are now. I don't see the need for more rules. And if someone can't see the inherent tackiness of walking into a joint and setting up shop first thing without at least saying hi or buying a beer, well, what's wrong with a little ugliness? ;)

Exactly! :D

"A riottt... iz an ug-lee thing. And I think it's just about time ve had one!"

RiotisUgly.jpg

Damn--rules rules rules! We have enough we have to live by in our daily lives!

If you're comfortable buying something from someone with 1 post, knock yourself out. If you're not, don't.

What's complicated about this?

:wacko:

Agreed.

What if someone with absolutely no interest in jazz stumbles upon a bunch of jazz CDs (or even Mosaics :excited: ) and decides to sell them to us? Would we really want nothing to do with him/her unless they first held our hand and bought us a drink or two at the bar? I'd rather have someone come here to sell than go directly to Ebay. If the fact that they have no other posts scares off a potential buyer, then that's their problem - both as a poor business strategy for the seller and a possible missed opportunity for the buyer.