Nastiness & This Board

Guest Chaney

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's bogus to start a thread then delete it just because you don't like what gets posted in it. Memorial thread or not, people can post their opinions. An artists dies, so there's some required waiting period during which no one should give a negative assessment? I don't think so.

Allen,

I was only commenting over Couw's reaction. I don't have any issue.

The Denny thing didn't bother me much. We all have our own opinions.

Next to Charlie Parker, ALMOST EVERYONE is a hack. :g

Africabrass.

I have come to appreciate the way that you try and see things from different perspectives.

Che.

Chaney - I did edit my post, for the somewhat ironic reason that I thought the initial one was unnecessarily nasty - I guess I see this forum as as something like a Monty Python skit in which the threads overlap and refer to each other - I should have realized not everyone reads everything, and I'm sure there's plenty I missed. My point is that you might argue with my position on Denny but not my right to post it. As for a hack, other than a cab driver, that would mean someone who has very ordinary talents and applies them in a dull and cliched manner (now don't shoot the messenger, I'm citing a DEFINITION) - I find that Denny, unlike Esquivel, fits that description and I was simply responding accordingly, as, honestly, I don't believe he warrants much space here. You may differ with me, and you have. One of the great things about this site is that board members and owners do not throw their weight around with arbitrary authority, and I truly appreciate that. As for my offending the Germans here, well, I have listened for the last 40 years to comedian after comedian ridicule American politics (from Lenny Bruce to Billy Hicks and a lot in between), and if I can take it, so can they. Lyndon Johnson was a murderer, Nixon a crook, Reagan an idiot, Ford a bumbler, Carter incompetent, Clinton mediocre, Bush - well,forget it, that's like shooting fish in a barrel. So there, we're even now -

Edited by AllenLowe

Guest Chaney

Allen: One thing you might want to consider is that I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of the talent - or lack thereof - of Denny. I'm no fool. I do realize that Denny was not Ellington, nor even Esquivel. My only problem is that I feel it callous to insert (basically) a virtual turd into what was simply meant to be a tribute upon the man's passing.

Apparently, you feel that Denny is undeserving of a single thread on this hallowed board. Better not explore too far as you'll find threads started on a great many performers of which you might not approve. Some of my gems? Pere Ubu, Nellie McKay, disco, King Crimson, Karla Bonoff, Humorous Rodents...

As always, all opinion are welcome, and I had no problem at all with those expressed -- and perhaps more importantly, the manner in which they were expressed -- by the other members contributing to my now deleted thread. Your contribution struck me as simply trollish; an opinion inserted in order to upset and cause a stir. I could have confronted you in that thread but as I do not crave confrontation nor any sort of spotlight, I deleted the thread and apologized here.

As to the other matters in your post above, I can't offer comment.

Brad: Later today I'm going to log off and venture into the politics forum. Care to join me? :wacko:

Gotta go. It's a balmy 33 degrees in Buffalo and I have to wash my car.

Posters should not be enabled to delete one of their own threads after a single other poster has posted in it.

Hey the children of the revolution have spoken!

Che.

Posters should not be enabled to delete one of their own threads after a single other poster has posted in it.

i can't agree with you there. first off, a poster might choose to delete their thread after it has served it's limited purpose (i.e., offering and looking for, announcement of a specific show, etc.). in the matter before us now, i believe someone who originates a thread has the right to end it when things get terribly out of hand. i liken it to a situation in which a person that starts a discussion may end the resulting argument before it erupts into a fistfight. mind you, this is a power or responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly. i'm not a fan of censorship and wouldn't like to see this feature used whenever someone wants to avoid or disregard opposing views. freedom of speech is not absolute, and this ain't no public street corner. we're guests of organissimo and should act accordingly with honesty, integrity, and mutual respect. now get out of here, damn it! Peace.gif

"[...] a poster might choose to delete their thread after it has served it's limited purpose (i.e., offering and looking for, announcement of a specific show, etc.) [...]" [jazzshrink]

Perhaps for purely functional or administrative threads it might be okay for posters to delete them. But, 1) There's no harm in allowing such threads to remain, so why even mess with it? And, 2) Such threads sometimes keep going with conversation anyway, and I think that those conversations don't need to be deleted but instead deserve to remain available.

"in the matter before us now, i believe someone who originates a thread has the right to end it when things get terribly out of hand."

1) Why should the thread originator have sole discretion to determine what is "terribly out of hand"? A thread originator isn't an administrator nor moderator, nor should thread originators be given such power. 2) If things get "terribly out of hand" (whatever that means for each person), then I think it's better to it let go. Let people post what they want (within legal and other very carefully described limits such as spam, copyright violation, illegal threats, libel, etc.) and if you don't like what they post, then post back at them or ignore them and keep posting whatever you would have if the so-called "disruption" weren't present. 3) I did not read the thread in question, but from what's been described of it, even as the originator stated his reason for deleting it, I don't see that it was "terribly out of hand" anyway.

"What does deleting a thread that has gotten out of control do that couldn't be done by locking the thread?" [Michael Fitzgerald]

That's a good point. But I go further by advocating that threads not even be locked. One of the great things about these forums is that there is no "last word". Everyone is free to come back for yet another retort. Locking a thread defeats that. And for coherence and fairness it may be important that a reply be in the original thread so that the reply is in full context and so that it is immediately visible for readers who have read the posts leading up to it. As well as future visitors to the forum should be allowed to add their two cents at any future date, as long as it is technologically and economically feasible for the threads to remain open.

Edited by Cornelius

I'm actually glad I don't have much time for this board anymore.

It used to be a nice place to hang out.

I don't get this. I don't see that much hostility here (other than minimal isolated incidents).

It depends where you hang out, I guess.

Sorry you feel this way. :(

It has nothing to do with hostility.

It has to do with a few individuals venting their frustration or whatever with life, the universe, their careers or whatever, pissing on everything and everybody, usually without giving it much thought. The atmosphere has turned sour and I've got better things to do than to read the "personal opinions" they so proudly defend.

Cheers!

P.S.: Am I the only one that has noticed that at least one frequent poster has left quietly because of this? Apparently, because everyone else has posted useless "happy birthdays" for him.

Guest Chaney

While I'm one of those who posted a happy birthday wish to my friend Hans, I've also noted his absence. (I assume you're speaking of Hans.)

Mike: If I had the ability to lock the Denny thread, I would have done so. I guess I could have asked b3-er to supply the lock. Anyway, excellent idea, if it were able to be made an option. (I'm guessing that'll never happen.)

Cornelius: Thank you for your comments but I'll have to respectfully disagree with most everything you've said.