Your rarest possession in your music collection.

Hardbopjazz

I'm not sure how to rater the LPs and the private tapes that are in my collection. What might be rare and valuable to me might not be to you.

I've wondered about the origional ESP disks that I have including Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" and William Burroughs "Call Me Burroughs". Are they rare?

But I do have a collection of private photographs, that I would not part with (taken by myself) and hand printed photgraphs by the Great Roy De Carava ( Billie, Trane w/ Elvin ) and another Master Photographer, Louis Ouzer ( Getz, Dizzy, Mulligan, Louis, Clark Terry, Oliver Nelson, Stravinski, Alec Wilder, Duke ) that hang on the walls of my study.

Here is a photo of Alec Wilder blowing bubbles outside of Lou Ouzer's studio that was attached to the Eastman School in Rochester. Not the photos of muscians in the window.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a rare tape of Miles Davis sleeping. It's mostly snoring, but at one point he seems to come to momentarily and mumbles something like "turn that motherfucker off before I..." and then the snoring starts again.

I'll be waiting for the DeLuxe edition (with the alternate takes) from the Sony people B-)

The groundswell grows: Chuck, out with the Herschel and Mary Lou!

My rarest might be the Vocalion 78 of "Jambled Blues" by Sonny Clay's Plantation Orchestra, 1923.

Biggest heartbreak: I have an early 78 pressing of Pine Top Smith's "Pine Top's Boogie-Woogie"... with a big chunk missing.

Fairly rare - I have the two Sweetwinds demo discs (78RPM) Of Woody Herman with Burns, Jackson, Bauer, Lamond and Flip Phillips. Playing Sweetwind Stomp, Mighty Lak a Rose, Blue Flame and A Folk Medley. Woody is supposidly on Alto but barely heard. The soloist on the Sweetwind is Flip.

Some good rhythm section work.

Looking through my vinyl inventory, I'd identify these as most rare:

George Bohanon Quartet Boss Bossa Nova Workshop Jazz

Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers Selections from Golden Boy Colpix

Eddie Davis Trio + Joe Newman Count Basie Presents Roulette

Lefty Edwards The Right Side of Lefty Workshop Jazz

George Freeman w. Charlie Earland Introducing Giant Step

Dexter Gordon All Souls Dexterity

Johnny Griffith Trio Jazz Workshop Jazz

Eddie Higgins Plays Music from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Capitol

Ron Jefferson Love Lifted Me Pacific Jazz

B.B. King Rarest King (Autographed) Blues Boy

B.B. King Blues 'N' Jazz MCA Records

Charles Kynard Where Its At! Pacific Jazz

Sandy Mosse, et. al. Chicago Scene Argo

Houston Person (feat. Grant Green) The Real Thing Eastbound

Rita Reys/Jazz Messengers The Cool Voice Of Columbia

Clifford Scott Out Front Pacific Jazz

Bumble Bee Slim Back in Town! Pacific Jazz

Earl Washington All-Stars Workshop Jazz

I would add one extraordinarily rare private recording involving Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, and another involving Andrew Hill but if I gave details I would be inundated with inquiries and these recordings are not available for trade so forget I even wrote the foregoing.

Some rare items - perhaps not especially valuable - but rare:

A 78 copy of Levi Seabury: "Boogie Beat"/"Motherless Child" on B.B. King's Blues Boy Kingdom label.

An Impulse 45 - edited version of Trane's 'Ascension'.

An ESP 45 - Ornette's "Sadness" on one side - an Ayler recording, I believe "Angels", on the reverse. It's boxed up right now.

A video copy of Julia Goldrosen's short animated film, 'Cats Go Scat'.

A copy of an 1970's Flyright LP, Those Old Happy Days - 1960's Blues from the Gulf. When I met Flyright owner Bruce Bastin in the late 80's, he told me that he was surprised to see a copy, as only 100 had been pressed.

The metal mastering plates for the Swingtime release of Baby Boy Warren's: "I Got Lucky"/"Let's Renew Our Love".

Nothing in the Hershall/Mary Lou class.

I would add one extraordinarily rare private recording involving Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, and another involving Andrew Hill but if I gave details I would be inundated with inquiries and these recordings are not available for trade so forget I even wrote the foregoing.

:excited: Hey Dan.... :unsure: ...uh... :wacko: ...um... :( aw, nevermind; I forgot...

That a 45 rpm of Ascension was actually created - what does that mean? Does that prove that there really is a God? I mean, 1965 - space on the jukebox is occupied by Motown, Beatles, Petula Clark - someone actually thought there could be a market for an edited Ascension?

Mike

I've wondered if a copy ever made it onto a bar jukebox. I can imagine the reactions that 'Ascension' would have gotten if someone had put in their dime and played it.

Dan,

Tell us more about the rare Shorter/Hancock/Hill/Williams session? Do Hancock and Hill play two different pianos, or are they seated next to each other on the piano bench :)

Bertrand.

Its two separate recordings that I happened to pair up on a single CDR.