Brubeck

Alon Marcus

Do you like Brubeck's music or not? Explain  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

None of the above really. I like the quartet particularly for the group sound, I'm especially fond of the Fantasy and earlier Columbias. Desmond always enthralls.

Junior College was one of my very first lp buys and the only record I ever broke!The Brubeck Quartet was the first American group I saw live, London 1958. Can remember it still.

Went with the first option. I am in general agreement with that statement. There is one thing I don't like about Brubeck's playing which I notice more on his 50's & 60's recordings than on the more reecent things. He starts off a solo swinging nicely and then about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through gets into some block chords and altered rhythms which almost bog the rhythm section down. The swinging flow and momentum of the piece is nearly lost. It takes a really strong drummer like Joe Morello to keep the piece going at all and to maintain a semblance of swing during one of these episodes. It's a relief when they return to the head and Desmond starts taking the tune out. But otherwise, for me, Dave Brubeck is :tup

Dave Brubeck is the one I blame for getting me into 'real' jazz. It's his fault that I've spent so much money and time being involved with jazz. Every time I start thinking that Brubeck really wasn't that good, I listen to some of his material and I'm reminded that, yes, he really was that good.

Fek you, Brubeck, for causing me to lose so much money and time listening to this music. :P

Yeah, I'd really like to have a remastered version of "Anything Goes." Great cover too.

I'm very very fond of "Time Further Out" and "Bossa Nova U.S.A." because my mother had these growing up and I used to listen and marvel and bang on furniture to them and I haven't ever outgrown my admiration for all concerned on these.

• 1 year later...

I'm listening to Time Out, for the first time in ages, and I think I'm finally beginning to appreciate it (and Brubeck). In the past, when Dave would seem to be stuck on one of those repeated figures I just felt like shouting "MOVE". Now, maybe I'm just letting Brubeck be Brubeck rather than expecting him to be Red Garland or whatever. The locked hands thing has kind of an orchestral quality to it, maybe...like he's trying to build up tension or something. Anyway, Time Out's working for me today. Maybe it's time to check out the boxed set. Hard to beat the BMG price.

I voted for the first option.

Time Out was one of my first few jazz albums way back when in high school, and I bought Time Further Out shortly thereafter. They still sound good to me on the rare occasions when I listen to them. His "classic" quartet really was something (how can you not like Desmond and Morello?). And I think Brubeck has his own, honorable place in the world of jazz. Is he the be all and end all? Of course not, but he achieved one of the main distinctions in jazz: he sounded just like himself.

I voted for the first option.

Time Out was one of my first few jazz albums way back when in high school, and I bought Time Further Out shortly thereafter. They still sound good to me on the rare occasions when I listen to them. His "classic" quartet really was something (how can you not like Desmond and Morello?). And I think Brubeck has his own, honorable place in the world of jazz. Is he the be all and end all? Of course not, but he achieved one of the main distinctions in jazz: he sounded just like himself.

Right on. :tup