Mosaic Select Wish List

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Braxton box set out, and the Threadgill on the horizon, I would love to see John Carter get the Mosaic treatment. A box set would be great, but to have the Roots and Folklore series as a Select, would be the coolest thing in the world. Carter is vastly underrated in my book, and his cds are almost impossible to find. The Roots and Folklore would include these albums:

Roots and Folklore: Episodes in the Development of American Folk Music

• The John Carter Octet: Dauwhe (1982)
  • John Carter: Castles of Ghana (1991)
  • John Carter: Dance of the Love Ghosts (1987)
  • John Carter: Fields (1988)
  • John Carter: Shadows On A Wall (1989)

With the Braxton box set out, and the Threadgill on the horizon, I would love to see John Carter get the Mosaic treatment. A box set would be great, but to have the Roots and Folklore series as a Select, would be the coolest thing in the world. Carter is vastly underrated in my book, and his cds are almost impossible to find. The Roots and Folklore would include these albums:

Amen.

Amen.

This is #1 on my list too even though I have the discs already and doubt we'll ever see a Gramavision/Black Saint project. The Roots and Folklore series is one of my very favorite things in my collection and it's criminal that it's so obscure to general listeners.

Count Basie's RCA recordings

This was posted long ago, but nevertheless - there was a Japanese 3 CD box with this, so I doubt  Mosaic will do this. Besides that much of the music is nice, but not as spectacular as the Clef or Columbia sides. 

Bill Evans Trio @Sausalito-1964 A Subset of the Verve Box-3 CDs

Amen.

Double amen. I've managed to run down just about all of the series via CDs or vinyl, but I'd buy a Mosaic Select the first week of release.

John Carter - wow, great idea! Do suggest that to Mosaic! No idea if these are accessible for them, but it might well worth be a try! (Are they all on RCA/Novus?)

I'd definitely buy that, as all I managed to find is "Castles of Ghana", and that one's magnificient!

DAUWHE is on Black Saint and is technically in print.

The remainder were issued by Gramavision, which was at one time owned / a division of / distributed by Rykodisc. I've no idea what the current state of the Gramavision masters is... but one could assemble a number of fine Mosaic selects around artists on their roster: Anthony Davis, Ray Anderson, John Scofield, Oliver Lake, Bobby Previte.

Edited by Joe

How about...

THE COMPLETE BETHLEHEM, JAZZ MAN, ARGO AND UNITED ARTISTS RECORDINGS OF HOWARD MCGHEE

Would include:

The Return Of Howard McGhee

Bethlehem

NYC, October 22, 1955.

Tracks: Get Happy¹; Tahitian Lullaby¹; Lover Man°; Lullaby Of The Leaves¹; Rifftide¹; Oo-Wee But I Do¹; Don't Blame Me¹; Tweedles¹; Transpicious¹; You're Teasing Me°; I'll Remember April¹.

Personnel: Howard McGhee: trumpet; Sahib Shihab: alto sax°, baritone sax¹; Duke Jordan: piano; Percy Heath: bass; Philly Joe Jones: drums.

Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries

Bethlehem

NYC, February 14 & 15, 1956.

Tracks: Sonny Boy; So Blue; Broken Hearted; The Thrill Is Gone; Just Imagine; I'm A Dreamer Aren't We All; My Song; The Best Things In Life Are Free; Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries; Together; Come To Me; My Sin.

Personnel: Howard McGhee: trumpet; Danny Bank, Phil Bodner, Sid Brown, Leon Cohen, Herbie Mann: sax; Donn Trenner: piano; Al Caiola: guitar; Arnold Fishkin: bass; Osie Johnson, Don Lamond: drums; Frank Hunter: arranger.

Dusty Blue

Bethlehem

NYC, June 13, 1960.

Tracks: Dusty Blue; The Sound Of Music; I Concentrate On You; Sleep Talk; With Malice Towards None, Pt. 1 & 2; Cottage For Sale; Park Avenue Petite°; Groovin' High°; Flyin' Colors°.

Personnel: Howard McGhee: trumpet; Bennie Green°: trombone; Roland Alexander°: tenor sax; Pepper Adams°: baritone sax; Tommy Flanagan: piano; Ron Carter: bass; Walter Bolden: drums.

Shades Of Blue

Jazz Man

December 8, 1961.

Tracks: The Sharp Edge; Cool; Shades Of Blue; Arbee; My Delight; The Day After; Ill Wind; Topside.

Personnel: Howard McGhee: trumpet; George Coleman: tenor sax; Junior Mance: piano; George Tucker: bass; Jimmy Cobb: drums.

Note: Reissued as Sharp Edge (Black Lion) with alternate takes of: The Sharp Edge, Cool, Arbee and Ill Wind.

House Warmin'

Argo

Chicago, IL, May 1962.

Tracks: Jivin' Around; Jug 'N' McGhee (Muggin' McGhee); Nothin' But Soul (Jazz with A Beat); House Warmin'.

Personnel: Howard McGhee: trumpet; Gene Ammons: tenor sax; Barney Richmond: bass; Jake Fisher: guitar; Willie Mashburn: drums; Waco: percussion.

Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out

United Artists

Tracks: Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out; Lonely Town; Secret Love; Why Run Away; Canadian Sunset; Blue Bell; Tenderly; Fly Me To The Moon; Satin Doll; Blues Duende.

Personnel: Howard McGhee: trumpet; Jimmy Jones: piano; Ron Carter: bass; Art Taylor: drums.

(Discographical information courtesy of All About Jazz)

Edited by Joe

I will definitely second the earlier suggestion for the Lucky Thompson/Milt Jackson Savoy recordings! Two CDs worth of the originally issued stuff would be great, but wouldn't it be amazing if they found some unreleased stuff on the reels?

They also need to follow up their recent Denny Zeitlin Columbia studio set with one covering some of his contemporary live recordings, including the material issued on "Live at the Trident" but hopefully a lot more.

It's also about time someone did a Hal McKusick collection...I don't know for sure that it would fit on 3 CDs but I'd love to see his stuff collected. I'm pretty sure CROSS SECTION SAXES, JAZZ AT THE ACADEMY, QUINTET, THE JAZZ WORKSHOP, and IN A 20TH CENTURY DRAWING ROOM would all fit on 3 discs, and it would be great if his Bethlehem QUARTET date and Jubilee date with Betty St. Clair would also fit.

Also, why not a George Russell Decca Select with New York, New York (1959), Jazz in the Space Age (1960), George Russell Sextet at the Five Spot (1960) and George Russell Sextet in KC (1961). While all have appeared on CD in some form or another, none are readily available in the US.

• 8 months later...

How about...

THE COMPLETE BETHLEHEM, JAZZ MAN, ARGO AND UNITED ARTISTS RECORDINGS OF HOWARD MCGHEE

What a great idea!

Seconded. Or thirded.

Fourth'd. McGhee seems to me like the perfect Mosaic artist--outstanding musician but somehow never quite getting the acclaim and recognition he deserved.

I still think Al Haig's 70s things would make a nice set.

gregmo

How about...

What a great idea!

Seconded. Or thirded.

Fourth'd. McGhee seems to me like the perfect Mosaic artist--outstanding musician but somehow never quite getting the acclaim and recognition he deserved.

Fifth'd :excited::g:D:P

also, what about a Freddie Roach Blue Note MS (it may be a bit more than 3CD's though?) -last time i mentioned this to Michael C he felt that it would not sell well enough