Photos you don't tire of

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

Here's one of my favorites, scanned from a French postcard sent to me by Peter Pullman (who is in France working on his Bud Powell biography).

Who paints while it is raining? How abstract can you get? :wacko::wacko:

Had a closer, second look at the photo. It is one of a series of Robert Doisneau's

posed photo which is why there is a painter in the rain. Doisneau must have

hired the 'painter'. This was obviously taken in the Montmartre section of Paris.

The man holding the umbrella is French comedian Maurice Baquet who was one

of Doisneau's favorite subject. He played cello.

This works, even if it is posed.

Doisneau posed most of his photos including his most celebrated 'candid' photo (Le

Baiser de l'Hotel de Ville) of a couple kissing in the street outside the Paris

City Hall.

Guest Chaney

Maybe not very artistic but this picture has spent many months on my computer desktop:

Cecil Taylor, Jimmy Lyons, Sam Rivers and Andrew Cyrille - July 1969 at St. Paul de Vence, Paris, France.

CT4.jpg

The famous image of Johnny Hodges signaling for his waiter to keep filling his glass is certainly one of those "picture worth a thousand words" images. I also like these...

Miles and Fats

navarro-miles.jpg

Donald Byrd

Byrd.jpg

Pres

photo1.jpg

Yusef Lateef

10_00c.gif

Newport Rebels Dorham, Coleman and Mingus

ornettenmingus.gif

Those jazz photos are cool. . .but this one was truly a favorite for some time!

far.jpg

Also there is a photo of my wife hanging upside down in gravity boots from about the time that I first met her that is a favorite. . . :wub:

Edited by jazzbo

There is a photo (or series of photos) of Ornette in the early 70's (or very late 60's), rehearsing in a "loft"-type space just as a trio (I think), that I simply love. It's back when he had a full beard for a few years there. I think the photographer was Valerie Wilmer, if I remember right. I'm looking for the image on-line now, but can't seem to find it.

This one isn't the picture I was thinking of (or at least I don't think it is), but it was taken in the same "loft"-type space as the one that I am thinking of. (The one I'm thinking of shows the band playing, if I remember right.)

CD938j.jpg

Also, here are some other pictures of Ornette with a full beard, which I'm just finding just now (looking for the other one) - which I also rather like...

ocscifi2.jpg

coleman1.jpg

I think the picture I'm looking for is in Wilmer's "As Serious As Your Life: The Story of the New Jazz", which I see they have just reissued (again) in paperback, calling it "As Serious As Your Life: John Coltrane and Beyond". (Or at least I presume that this is the same book, retitled.) I'll see if I can find my copy of the book, and confirm it one way or another.

The archetypal Dex photo.

leo06.jpg

Mnytime -- I can't find the Hodges photo online anywhere, but I could swear its been reprinted in one of the Mosaic booklets, maybe the COMPLETE 1956-1961 VERVE SESSIONS box.

And, you know, Illinois needed all this room... you'd best stand back...

1156.jpg

Finally, a fresh-faced and clean-cut Tony Scott:

1208.jpg