Look at all the Verve LPRs coming out this month!

Big Al

One of the best reissue programs is gonna drain my wallet AGAIN!!! Check it out:

April 12 (okay, I'm three days late; so shoot me!)

Al Cohn Quintet featuring Bob Brookmeyer

Sweets - Harry "Sweets" Edison (another thread about this album here!)

Sittin' In - Dizzy Gillespie

Joe Newman Quintet at Count Basie's

April 26

Cugi's Cocktails - Xavier Cugat

Gene Krupa Plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements

Blues Caravan - Buddy Rich

Jazz in 3/4 Time - Max Roach

Edited by Big Al

No extra added tracks :angry:

as usual... that's why I'm not so fond of these series, I preferred those older reissues... and they're looking like "by requests" anyhow, now, so why not just release the music and add what's around from those dates?

Alright, I know, I don't have the right to hear anything, anyway, so...

The full lists is already out here.

Sorry I missed it. Where is it? :unsure:

Big Al, I meant all the reissues you listed in your original post for this thread!

OOOHHHHHHHH, now I get it! You meant that they had all already been released on your side of the pond! Some of us Americans, especially us Texans, are a little slow on the draw this AM! :lol:

Any thoughts on the the April 12 ones. I just picked up them up and haven't listened yet. Verve can't be serious about some of the April 26 reissues. Except for Max (which I have), the rest aren't worthwhile buying and Xavier (where's Charo) has got to be joke.

The full lists is already out here.

Sorry I missed it. Where is it? :unsure:

Big Al, I meant all the reissues you listed in your original post for this thread!

OOOHHHHHHHH, now I get it! You meant that they had all already been released on your side of the pond! Some of us Americans, especially us Texans, are a little slow on the draw this AM! :lol:

Don't want to search for it but we did talk about these releases about a month ago. I remember giving praise to Sweets and the Jam Session disc.

Any thoughts on the the April 12 ones. I just picked up them up and haven't listened yet. Verve can't be serious about some of the April 26 reissues. Except for Max (which I have), the rest aren't worthwhile buying and Xavier (where's Charo) has got to be joke.

I picked up the Dizzy yesterday, and it's a pretty amazing line-up--Dizzy with Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, and Paul Gonsalves, backed up by Wynton Kelly, Wendell Marshall and J.C. Heard, and performing Dizzy Atmosphere, the Way You Look Tonight and two ballad medleys. On first listen, it sounded like outstanding music to me, with adequate sound.

I dunno, Brad, that September release looks pretty good to me.

The Ayler is one that I've long been curious about, will probably have deeply mixed feelings about, but will definitely buy asap. Probably his most controversial album, and in a career filled with controversy, that's saying something...

I've listened to some samples of the Freda Payne (a mid-60s jazz vocal date) on AMG, and it sounds very nice. She used to sing with Basie, remember, so if all you know of her is "Band Of Gold" and such, this is anything but that. There's even a version of "Lonely Woman"!

The Gato I remember from back in the day. It's just dandy, a continuation of his earlier Impulse! Latin work. So if you like Chapters 1 & 2...

The only ones that I'm not too sure about are the Pharoah and the White, neither of which left much of an impression back in the day. But some of Pharoah's early 70s work sounds better to me now than it did then (although it's a question of degree...) so that one gets a "maybe" from me. We'll see how the money is then...

The White turned me off mostly due to its recording quality, and it's semi-commercial trimmings. But it's got Prince Lasha & Cecil McBee, and White himself is a fine plyer, so again, we'll see how the money is in September.

Your mileage will vary, of course, and Ayler is inevitably somebody for whom the mileage varies considerably, but for those who enjoy good jazz vocals with nice arrangements, the Freda Payne side will probably come as a most pleasant surprise.

The one in the current series that completely snuck up on me is the Sittin' In thing. Paul Gonsalves? In a Granz mid-50s jam setting? Who knew? I'll be getting that one shortly, I guaranteee!

I had poo-poo'd the Lateef before, but I was confused, thinking CTI instead of Impulse. . . this is a pretty decent record, and I'm looking forward to it.

The New Grass I've got as a K2 Japanese Impulse cd and I really like it. I don't know that I'll buy it again having spent the import dollars for a great sounding copy, but Ayler fans should really enjoy this. . . or not. . .depending on how they feel about the final shift in h is presentation.

I'm really looking forward to the Pharoah. When I'm in the right mood and situation, his entire Impulse catalog is da bomb for me.

The one in the current series that completely snuck up on me is the Sittin' In thing. Paul Gonsalves? In a Granz mid-50s jam setting? Who knew? I'll be getting that one shortly, I guaranteee!

I didn't even know about this one til I saw your mention, so I headed over to the Verve site.

Hawk, Getz, Gonsalves and Dizzy with Wynton Kelly? Oh, hell yeah!

At this point, the "Verve" reissue series might be about the most interesting around - lots of unexpected titles this past year. (I wouldn't get too excited about the upcoming Oliver Nelson, though - half the album was a showcase for Impulse "discovery" Mel Brown - pretty routine.)