Jimmy Woode

Don Brown

From a friend in Europe---

Former Ellington bassist James Bryant Woode, who began his professional career in 1946 with his own band died yesterday at his home in Lindenwold, NJ. Among his early musical associates were Nat Pierce, Flip Phillips and Zoot Sims, and he was also accompanist to Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan.

In the early 50s Woode was a member of the house band at George Wein's Storyville Club in Boston, where he played with numerous visiting jazz stars.

By 1955 his reputation was such that he was invited to join Duke Ellington, a job he held for five years.

After leaving Ellington he settled in Europe (first in Sweden), later on becoming a member of the Clarke-Boland Big Band throughout most of its existence (1961-70).

A solid section player, Woode continued drawing the respect of his fellow musicians till the near end.

James Bryant Woode, born September 23, 1928 in Philadelphia, PA, died April 23, 2005 in Lindenwold, NJ.

I had the pleasure of having Jimmy as a guest on my radio show one afternoon back in the 1980's. Needless to say, it was a delight and he was a gracious person who was happy to reminisce about his many experiences in music . I saw him a few more times in the following years and always enjoyed his company. This is very sad news.

I still have not recovered from this sad news. Jimmy Woode will always hold a special place in my heart - I saw him perform several times. One particularly memorable occasion was a gig of the Mal Waldron Trio at Mainz in a club that stopped featuring jazz soon after. But I was sitting there about five feet from the musicians (Mal Waldron, Jimmy Woode and Allen Blairman) and was not just listening, but felt like I was right inside the music. I knew many notes and chords immediately before they would hit them. They really got me that evening - Waldron with his stoic calmness, like an ebony figure of an African chief; Woode giving himself totally away during a long bass solo during which he started quoting "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child".starting to sing along, ending up almost crying - Blairman cheered up the scene by walking to the sole mic at the piano and singing "Wade in The Water", clapping his hands. That evening I understood what these songs mean to black musicians.

Thanks eternally for that beautiful evening of alive music - I still see you three before me.

woode1.jpg