Byrd/Adams goes straight to "Last Chance"

Well, I didn't get this one. I wanted it, and wish I could have picked it up. On the other hand, I'm proud of myself for not reaching for the plastic when I shouldn't...

Now the trick will be not convincing myself that, since I didn't get it, I'm 'entitled' to purchase a buncha CDs somewhere else! :g

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the trick will be not convincing myself that, since I didn't get it, I'm 'entitled' to purchase a buncha CDs somewhere else!  :g

Watch out for those double negatives, man--they're a slippery slope that'll have ya' doin' all sortsa' crazy things. :crazy:

Well, I didn't get this one.  I wanted it, and wish I could have picked it up.  On the other hand, I'm proud of myself for not reaching for the plastic when I shouldn't...

Woah....stone cold self-control! You start flashin' too much of that stuff around these parts and you could earn some serious enemies and wind up in a pine box! :lol:

Picked it up twice. First time was years ago, didn't like the sound compared to the TOCJs and sold it, then purchased it again recently because I wanted the non-TOCJ albums...

What's wrong with the sound on that set Hank? It sounds very good to me. :mellow:

Picked it up twice. First time was years ago, didn't like the sound compared to the TOCJs and sold it, then purchased it again recently because I wanted the non-TOCJ albums...

What's wrong with the sound on that set Hank? It sounds very good to me. :mellow:

Errr... My name is Hans, not Hank :(;)

Well, like I said, I didn't like the sound compared to my TOCJs. The set sounded a tad too bright and tinny - though I must admit that the TOCJs sounded too warm, with the higher frequencies rolled-off too much. I must also admit that I'm one of those who generally don't like Ron McMaster's mastering jobs.

Well, like I said, I didn't like the sound compared to my TOCJs. The set sounded a tad too bright and tinny - though I must admit that the TOCJs sounded too warm, with the higher frequencies rolled-off too much. I must also admit that I'm one of those who generally don't like Ron McMaster's mastering jobs.

Sorry about that. It must be because I am thinking of buying the Hans Mobley set! :g;)

Sorry about that. It must be because I am thinking of buying the Hans Mobley set! :g;)

:g

:tup

So, was this set ever on the "Running Low" list, before it hit "Last Change" status?? I know it wasn't ever in the catalog as "Running low". But I mean, was it ever on the "Running Low" list on the website even?? That may account for the especially fast run on things at the end.

Funny how a set like the Byrd/Adams box probably only sells a few copies a week for several years, and then -- suddenly -- they fly off the shelves in no time flat. Probably 200 or 300 sets in just two weeks.

If only there was some way to motivate people to buy these things sooner than later (over the full time the set is available) -- instead of them waiting until the last minute -- then I think there'd be fewer people missing out when the time finally came for it to go OOP.

And another thing's for damn sure, that sets would be selling out, instead of timing out --- cuz that's just lost sales for Mosaic.

:angry:  :angry:  I spoke with someone from Mosaic a few days ago he said I'd be safe for about a week and a half to two weeks.  I was gonna place the order today.

Motherfu**er! :(

So, are you now going to sue him?

;)

Nope....Big Wheel might be right when he said that some of this stuff might come out in the next couple of years as single reissues. I can wait I suppose. Plus I have a TOCJ of Royal Flush to keep me happy.

.....But now I gotta hurry up and buy something else to make me feel better!

:crazy:

.....But now I gotta hurry up and buy something else to make me feel better!

An excellent suggestion!! ......but you might want to play it safe and hit Dusty or Red Trumpet this time 'round lest your order at Mosaic happens to get filled by the person who monitors these Mosaic threads for grins and happens to recognize him/herself as the object of your everlasting 'affections' above. :w

OKAY OKAY YOU WERE RIGHT, RON!!!! :blink: Ahh... but commonsense overcame me (at least momentarily.... ) and I did get it!!!! AhA... Another reason to stay away from the evil cluthes of.... E-BAY!!!

:party::party::rolleyes:;)

GONE!

That was really fast. :huh: Hope everyone here pulled the trigger in time!

And to think that some people (we won't embarrass tranemonk by mentioning him specifically) actually thought that they could wait until this weekend to order. :w

So, was this set ever on the "Running Low" list, before it hit "Last Change" status??  I know it wasn't ever in the catalog as "Running low".  But I mean, was it ever on the "Running Low" list on the website even??

Nope--went straight to "Last Chance." I check the site pretty much every day, and was surprised last Thursday to suddenly find this in "Last Chance."

I placed my order 9pm last night (along w/ Jazztet set and Schizophrenia), and got a confirmation noon today. If my large OJC order at J&R looks to go largely unfilled, I guess I can afford a couple of Mosaics. And if the J&R order does come through, well then I'll have a lot of great music and a lot less cash for other distractions...

that's a great question!!! Hmmm... to me it seems like one way to figure this out is to do the following...

1) Start with the sets of 5000 (not the 7500 or 10000)

2) look at the copyright date or set # (highly reasonable to assume the some of older sets will go OOP sooner)

3) focus on the popularity of the artist/genre

4) safely eliminate some of the more obscure (pre bebop sets - IMHO those will take a LONG time to go oop.. .but that's just my opinion)...

and that might lead me to believe...

Hmm.... drum roll please?????

Horace Parlan...?

maybe Max Roach???

That's my thought... And I don't think the Parlan is going OOP soon. I bought mine a year or two ago and it was #1912 - Copyright date 2000.

;)

What do you think is the next set to go to the "running low" or "last chance" category???

What do you think is the next set to go to the "running low" or "last chance" category???

Four Freshmen or Mildred Bailey? :g

Actually, the obvious guesses for me would be the Johnson or the Mobley. But then again, I never would have guessed Byrd/Adams two weeks ago, so what do I know? :blink: