Byrd/Adams goes straight to "Last Chance"

Picked it up twice. First time was years ago, didn't like the sound compared to the TOCJs and sold it, then purchased it again recently because I wanted the non-TOCJ albums...

The set sounded a tad too bright and tinny - though I must admit that the TOCJs sounded too warm, with the higher frequencies rolled-off too much. I must also admit that I'm one of those who generally don't like Ron McMaster's mastering jobs.

Played part of this set again last night, and it sounded better than I remembered. It's one of McMaster's better efforts. The music's great.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidewinder... You DON'T have the Elvin???? AUGHHHH!! :wacko:

You gotta grab it....

:excited::excited:

My guesses for forthcoming OOPs this year and into early 2006:

Hank Mobley (can't believe it's still in print  :huh: )

JJ Johnson (ditto)

Gerald Wilson

Max Roach

Hodges 56-61

Elvin Jones

Could be an expensive few months..  :w

I'm a big Elvin fan.... This stuff is really good... And what's really strange about Elvin is that it seems that a lot of his solo stuff is not in print.... or is very hard to find (foreign labels)... The Live at the Lighthouse sessions are great... A fair amount of this set is trio and quartet dates (which is my preferred configuration..)

Out of my 25+ sets.. this is in my top 5....

And no one else is going to give a drummer a 8CD set....

:tup:tup

Sidewinder... You DON'T have the Elvin???? AUGHHHH!!  :wacko:

You gotta grab it....

:excited:  :excited:

This wasn't on my radar screen, but I take it you think it should be. :huh:

My guesses for forthcoming OOPs this year and into early 2006:

Hank Mobley (can't believe it's still in print  :huh: )

JJ Johnson (ditto)

Gerald Wilson

Max Roach

Hodges 56-61

Elvin Jones

Could be an expensive few months..  :w

The only reason that Mobley is still available is that 7500 copies were printed. But I believe this is the next set to go OOP.

What do you think is the next set to go to the "running low" or "last chance" category???

Of course, it's not an exact science, but I think that the most important factors in predicting whether a particular set might be going OOP soon are the following:

1) how long the set has been available,

2) the size of the set, and, perhaps most importantly,

3) which label is licensing the set

In regard to the last factor, the Woody Shaw (Sony) set was available for quite a long time, and the J.J. Johnson (Sony) set has been available for almost 9 years now. I also think that sets licensed from EMI (Blue Note, Capitol, Pacific Jazz, Roulette, Solid State) are much more likely to receive extended or renewed (i.e., greater than 5 years) licensing agreements; but, then again, the Byrd/Adams set went OOP in just over five years.

I would definitely be ready to pull the trigger on any Verve licensed sets that have been out for around five years or more.

Accordingly, the sets that I would be most concerned about purchasing in the near future are, in no particular order, :

1) Hank Mobley

2) Johnny Hodges

3) Max Roach

In regard to the Hank Mobley, I would be very interested to learn the set number received by someone who has recently purchased the set.

In regard to the Hank Mobley, I would be very interested to learn the set number received by someone who has recently purchased the set.

I purchased a second Mobley set earlier this year (as with the Byrd/Adams set, I sold my first Mobley set a few years ago), and the set number is 3211.

I purchased a second Mobley set earlier this year (as with the Byrd/Adams set, I sold my first Mobley set a few years ago), and the set number is 3211.

Thanks, Hans. It seems, then, (unless Hans received a low numbered set that had been returned - not likely), that Cuscuna and/or EMI will let the lease on the Mobley set expire when it is determined that the set is no longer sufficiently profitable. That well may be years from now. For those of you who might be waiting for U.S. releases of the individual albums, it is interesting to note that only one of the six albums from the long OOP Lee Morgan 50's set has thus far been reissued in the U.S.

It has also occurred to me that the leasing agreement for the Verve Kid Ory set has already expired, but that Mosaic is sitting on a large enough stockpile to satisfy the set's relatively meager annual sales for some time to come.

It has also occurred to me that the leasing agreement for the Verve Kid Ory set has already expired, but that Mosaic is sitting on a large enough stockpile to satisfy the set's relatively meager annual sales for some time to come.

I always assumed that once the lease expired, they had to stop selling the sets - regardless of what they had in stock.

I always assumed that once the lease expired, they had to stop selling the sets - regardless of what they had in stock.

I think you're right.

I think you're right.

I suppose that it would depend upon the particular lease agreement, but I don't generally think that this is the case. First, such practice would be extremely wasteful. Second, how does one explain all of the partial sets that Mosaic has sold to its customers over the years after the expiration of various lease agreements?

I do think it quite possible, however, that many of the lease agreements contain some sort of clause preventing Mosaic from pressing more than X number of sets just before the lease is set to expire.

Edited by Edward

I think that at their discretion, Mosiac has negotiated the right to continue to sell some sets after the time component of the original lease agreement expires. The Woody Shaw comes to mind. I'm thinking JJ Johnson as well. I don't know about the Hans Mobley ( :P ) set, but my suspicion would be that this is one set that Mosaic would negotiate to go into "ovetime"

If only there was some way to motivate people to buy these things sooner than later (over the full time the set is available) -- instead of them waiting until the last minute -- then I think there'd be fewer people missing out when the time finally came for it to go OOP..

Well, Mosaic has never run with my brilliant idea....monthly payments...even if you had to pay the full amount before you could have the set....don't know if I will ever be able to pull the trigger on the $160 Mildred Bailey set(before shipping cost) but, if I could put 30-40 bucks a month in a "special" mosiac account, I'd buy a lot of sets I wouldn't be able to justify otherwise.(I know, I could just put the money away and save up for a set, but I'd spend it before I'd have enough) :blush:

I decided to take a stab at asking Mosaic what the reason was for the quick move to "Last Chance". Here's their answer:

We estimated that with the # of copies on hand that the set would probably go rather quickly and therefore it never made it to Running Low status. As compared to past history, sets that are flagged as Running Low/Last Chance have been selling at a much quicker pace then in the past and we try to prepare for this eventuality as best as we can.

It kind of sounds like they just lost track of how many of these they had left.