Next batch of Blue Note RVGs out 7/19

alankin

I think Judgment was one of the very early Connoisseur titles which were transferred by Larry Walsh, rather than Ron McMaster. Most have a low opinion of Walsh's transfers--in fact, Walsh probably has the worst reputation out of the BN engineers in the modern era (Addey, McMaster, Van Gelder). I only have one Walsh title--Basra--which supposedly pales in comparison to the JRVG.

Edited by Big Wheel

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday Morning is a great album, IMHO.

I think the Connoisseur sounds fine, but some of you young whippersnappers may have missed it the first time around.

Putting out Goin' West as an RVG, now that was a stroke of genius. Sounds awesome, too. Herbie kicks some serious ass on this record, and Billy Higgins is in top form.

Bertrand.

• 5 weeks later...

The next batch of Rudy Van Gelder's is coming out next month:

Art Blakey - The Big Beat (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 19

Donald Byrd - Fuego (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 19

Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 19

Herbie Hancock - Inventions and Dimensions (Blue Note RVG Edition) July 19

These 4 arrived from Amazon this morning , I'll be having a first listen to each of these in the office today :tup .

The Big Beat is one of my favorite Blakey sides. The tunes are all great, and it swings like a mofo. Lee plays some of his greeeziest stuff on record on Dat Dere. Great version of Paper Moon, and Lester Left Town has become a jazz standard in many circles. Great stuff. It's a must-have IMHO.

I'm looking forward to the Cherry, but I'll pass on the others.  I think I'm reaching the point where 'enough is enough' on Blue Note.

That's the only one I'm rushing out to buy, though I don't have the Hancock and will get it eventually. I've never bought into the RVG fetish.

Guy

I'm actually saving money for NEXT month.. That's the motherload right there.

In the meantime, those who have not heard Fuego.....RUN...don't walk...and pick it up....NOW. Donald Byrd had a sweet tone on the trp and this album does a great job of showcasing it. Plus how can you miss w/ Jackie McLean Duke Pearson or Lex Humphries? I'll pass on the Green...already have the Conn and LOVE IT! The Cherry is first on my priority list.

Brad where do you think Blue Note is missing the boat on the reissues?

Just saw this. I think they're doing what is easy: put out the big names and the big reissues but I'd like to see the more rarer issues in the Blue Note stable.

On a separate point, the Sunday Morning RVG has a new alternate take. Is this the same as on the Conn?