Mosaic Future Projects

Ed S

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tolliver will definitely have to be picked up in the future. The Tyner contains amazing music -- his best work for BN -- but I already have most of it on individual CDs. The Williams looks interesting but I'll wait for more comments on that one.

Agree that the "future projects" page deserves a :tup .

If the Nelson set was to include Flying Dutchman material, it would be essential. But it' still gonna be a good'un, and I'll bite at some point. It could be better though...

Definitely excited about the Chu and the Bechet. Those will fill some pretty inexcusable gaps in my knowledge. I know these players "in general", but not in detail. Time for that crap to stop!

Wish the Tony would've been complete w/the live material included. As it stands now, some sessions are better than others, imo, but if you've not heard any of them, the good ones will make more than make up for the others. Foreign Intrigue in particular is a very nice album.

The McCoy stuff....hmmmm.....the albums from the periods preceeding and after this period have always grabbed me a lot more than the ones from this period. But that's relative, doncha' know. It's still McCoy, it's still got some great music, and it's an commonly overlooked period in the career of one of the Masters.

Mulligan? Hey, its Mulligan! Its gonna be what its gonna be.

Along w/everybody else, some big :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup for the new page, and for the new releases, all of 'em. Nobody does it like Mosaic, at least so far!

Anyone know what that Tony Williams stuff is like?  Never checked out his 80's BN stuff.

Tony Williams & The Jazz Messengers .......

;)

I have them all, and love them. Foreign Intrigue is the weakest, IMHO, sounding somewhat hard, and it's a studio band, whereas the others feature a working band, that grew better with every session.

So we'll be getting late Blue Note McCoy as a select and the others as RVGs ... but I'd still like to hear that unreleased session with Shorter. This Select lessens chances we might get to hear it someday.

I love the Asante and Cosmos period sessions, that's my favourite McCoy. Time to upgrade my scratchy Blue Note twofer LP.

Foreign Intrigue is the weakest, IMHO, sounding somewhat hard, and it's a studio band, whereas the others feature a working band, that grew better with every session.

Points well taken, but the former I attribute to the early-digital era holocaust. As for the latter, hey, yeah, it's a studio band, sure, but w/Bobby Hurcherson and an above-average Donald Harrison performance, it's a good studio band! Besides, you already got Roney & Miller on hand, and Billy Pierce never really worked for me (nor does Roney, for that matter), so that's a wash, at least for me. As for Ron Carter, hey, it's Ron Carter and he's not sleepwalking, so... ;)

But yeah, the working band definitely got better, especially as Tony's composing skills grew. That's the main point of interest for me, hearing Tony's tunes. There's some real gems to be heard!

Just wish they'd include the Tokyo set. That's one I don't have, and by all accounts it's killer.

Can't wait for the Chu Berry.

Ditto the Monk/Trane - either the CD or the LP, depending on how Mosaic does it.

Have a fair amount of the Bechet and maybe half the Pacific Jazz piano set, but I'll go for those too. I love Sidney Bechet's playing and I'm interested in hearing Clare Fischer for the first time - hope I'm not expecting too much from Fischer and end up being disappointed.

...and still not a word on the Erroll Garner Columbia box project  :(

No hope for this one, Brownie unless Martha Glaser has either a change of heart or a change of address. Jaffa might update us on the next Classics release- 1953.

Let's not hold our breath on this one, unless you want to do it for several years.

On the future projects, what is there not to buy?

As far as I'm concerned quite a lot, actually, like for instance the Rich, Tyner, the Jazz Crusaders, and one or two others.

I can see your perspective, although not necessarily agreeing. I would probably wait on the Williams, possibly the Tyner but might give the Rich a ride although the problem is his domination of sessions. I'll probably hold on the Crusaders until I hear a few cuts of the web site but everything else looks pretty interesting and all in all it's a very compelling group of releases coming out. Top of the list for me will be the Berry, the Mulligan and the Jazz Trios.

But yeah, the working band definitely got better, especially as Tony's composing skills grew. That's the main point of interest for me, hearing Tony's tunes. There's some real gems to be heard!

Just wish they'd include the Tokyo set. That's one I don't have, and by all accounts it's killer.

I found these records to be somewhat tepid until I saw the band live. They smoked! And then I got into the records, and I agree about Tony's writing - very nice.

The Live in Tokyo set is the best - surprised that they aren't including it, unless they have other plans down the line.

I HOPE they reissue the Live at Tokyo, if they are going to do a Mosaic Select of his studio sessions. Very, very good performances.

I am on the fence about Bechet and the Chu Berry, but I am sure people on the board can nudge me over.... :D

DEFINITELY on board for the Mulligan, Tyner, and Oliver Nelson sets! :tup