Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Live Recordings

Which one's the best?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Three volumes? :huh:

Ok, let's be sure we're talking about the same thing here (apologies for being slightly off-topic, but, you know...) :rolleyes:

May 13, 1961: Olympia, Paris

(First concert)

The Summit

Yama

Close Your Eyes

Dat Dere

Lost & Found

Round Midnight

Kozo's Waltz

Those Who Sit and Wait (issued as 'unidentified')

A Night in Tunisia

The Theme

Issued as a 2 disc set on Delta/ Laserlight (Europe) 36128

(Second concert)

Round Midnight

So Tired

My Funny Valentine

It's Only a Paper Moon

Noise in the Attic

Moanin'

I Didn't Know What Time It Was

Blues March

A Night in Tunisia

Issued as a 2 disc set on Delta/ Laserlight (Europe) (don't have the cat # to hand)

Additionally, there is another 2 disc set on the Trema label, En Concert avec Europe 1 (710373/374) which has the first four titles from the first concert and the whole of the second concert.

Surely there can't be any more from this date?! :rfr

Seems like there are a lot more live-recordings than I thought :g

From a historical perspective the Bohemias get my nod but for pure pleasure I had to go with the May '61 concert from Paris.

Same problem as above: Import only :(

Greetz, Sonny

Is this a problem? I found mine on eBay a few years back, super cheap. Is this hard to find now?

OK, its not really a problem, but as I said, there are so many discs to get, so I rather buy 4 RVG's than 1 Jap-Import (at least for the moment).

And the super-cheap CD's on eBay, I guess they're all used ones, aren't they? But I don't buy used discs. Only new (and sealed :g ) ones.

Greetz, Sonny

I'll admit my main selection criterium is the program...so i vote closed-eyes for the 1958 Olympia concert in Paris, featuring Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons, jimmie Merritt and Art in top condition.

Tunes like Moanin, Whisper not, Blues march can never go wrong... :g

But I confess I never heard (yes, shame on me) At birdlanf or Cafe Bohemia :bwallace:

Three volumes?  :huh:

Ok, let's be sure we're talking about the same thing here (apologies for being slightly off-topic, but, you know...)  :rolleyes:

May 13, 1961: Olympia, Paris

(First concert)

The Summit

Yama

Close Your Eyes

Dat Dere

Lost & Found

Round Midnight

Kozo's Waltz

Those Who Sit and Wait (issued as 'unidentified')

A Night in Tunisia

The Theme

Part 3- RTE 710571

Lost and Found    16:33

Round Midnight    12:15

Kozo's Waltz        17:54

Unidentified (Those Who Sit and Wait) 10:34

Night in Tunisia    11:41

The Theme            1:56

Issued as a 2 disc set on Delta/ Laserlight (Europe) 36128

(Second concert)

Round Midnight

So Tired

My Funny Valentine

It's Only a Paper Moon

Noise in the Attic

Moanin'

I Didn't Know What Time It Was

Blues March

A Night in Tunisia

Issued as a 2 disc set on Delta/ Laserlight (Europe) (don't have the cat # to hand)

Additionally, there is another 2 disc set on the Trema label, En Concert avec Europe 1  (710373/374) which has the first four titles from the first concert and the whole of the second concert.

Surely there can't be any more from this date?!  :rfr

From a historical perspective the Bohemias get my nod but for pure pleasure I had to go with the May '61 concert from Paris.

I'm partial to the May 13, 1961 2 CD set myself.

The latest reincarnation of the Paris 1961 recordings is on two very cheap (10 Euro each) Laserlight/Delta 2CD sets. The mono sound is very good (french radio production).

http://www.deltamusic.de/index.php?id=28&L...n=4006408361589

http://www.deltamusic.de/index.php?id=28&L...n=4006408361282

Selections from the sets are available on a single SACD (not worth it IMHO)

http://www.deltamusic.de/index.php?id=28&L...n=4006408520191

I am also a big fan of the 1961 Paris concerts.

I'm partial to the May 13, 1961 2 CD set myself.

Which one? There are two from the same day.

There were 3 volumes from that concert.I have all three.

Trema issued all the material on 3 discs.

This one.

I got the 2 CD RTE set from Berkshire, and then grabbed the third on Trema when it came out. Definitely da'bomb afaic.

Buttercorn Lady will probably never see the light of day as a CD under the Universal umbrella, since it is part of the 'iTunes-only' series. Unless you call an iTunes reissue a reissue. I don't, since there is no physical product. This being said, I'm not totally againts the iTunes-only reissue option, as long as it's done right (see my posting on George Russell a while ago).

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I am partial to this one:

B000005GXA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No way I could chose one favourite among the live albums. I still don't have that Paris thing, and I love the albums with Brownie/Donaldson/Silver and the ones with the original Messengers very much. Also the Paris Jam with Barney is good, and the Paris concert of the Morgan/Golson unit is pretty good, too...

What's special about "At the Jazz Corner of the World" is how earthy and funky it is, in a pretty dirty racous way (well, at least parts of it are), and also it's great to hear a returning Hank Mobley with Blakey. And he and Morgan make a great frontline, for sure!

And that "Chicken An' Dumplins" is one of my favourite "feel-good" tunes! Play it loud!

Where do the sets that were issued on the mid-70's Blue Note lp set "Live Messengers" turn up again? I know the 4th side with the 3 tracks with Lou & Brownie turn up as bonus tracks on the RVGs, but how 'bout the first 3 sides? Recorded at the Village Gate and somewhere else, I believe...

Did they ever get put out on cd?

Where do the sets that were issued on the mid-70's Blue Note lp set "Live Messengers" turn up again?  I know the 4th side with the 3 tracks with Lou & Brownie turn up as bonus tracks on the RVGs, but how 'bout the first 3 sides?  Recorded at the Village Gate and somewhere else, I believe...

On one of the "Three Blind Mice" CDs, no? I only had that double LP lent from someone for a short time, but I always thought the Blind Mice CDs covered it.

Where do the sets that were issued on the mid-70's Blue Note lp set "Live Messengers" turn up again?  I know the 4th side with the 3 tracks with Lou & Brownie turn up as bonus tracks on the RVGs, but how 'bout the first 3 sides?  Recorded at the Village Gate and somewhere else, I believe...

The balance is on the 2 volumes of Three Blind Mice.

Thanks, gents. I never did pick up those cds, but recently picked up a vinyl reissue of the original 3 Blind Mice on UA. I wonder if between that record and the "Live Messengers" lp set, do I have all the contents of the 2 cd set? Perhaps missing some alts?

Edit: Answered it myself with a little looking...Looks like I've got it all with the exception of Wayne's "Children of the Night."

Am I really missing something special by not having this track?

Edited by Parkertown