LPs that have never made it into CD

EKE BBB

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the thread, but one that still boggles my mind is Jimmy Lyons - Other Afternoons. I would love to hear this remastered on CD. Does anyone know why this has never been done, or what the status of the original tapes might be? It was reissued on LP only during the early 2000s. I wonder if this is something Corbett would be able to get at.

I have the 2000s LP reissue of this, seems strange there has never been a CD.

There is a digital version on different streaming sites, copyright date 2007.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sort of figured as much about the tapes, but I'm guessing there's still some work that could be done. A similar wishlister would be a definitive CD edition of Alabama Feeling. The one that came out in the 90s was a dreadful needle drop. I'm sure there's an unplayed copy out there somewhere that could be put to work. It seems crazy to me that none of Arthur Doyle's work is available.

4 hours ago, colinmce said:

I sort of figured as much about the tapes, but I'm guessing there's still some work that could be done. A similar wishlister would be a definitive CD edition of Alabama Feeling. The one that came out in the 90s was a dreadful needle drop. I'm sure there's an unplayed copy out there somewhere that could be put to work. It seems crazy to me that none of Arthur Doyle's work is available.

I'm sorry to hear that that CD is a needledrop, as I am looking for an affordable copy of that album in any format.

I wonder if the tapes are in someone's attic/basement, waiting to be rediscovered?

12 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Have we discussed Gene Ammons Night Lights (a tribute to Nat Cole with Wynton Kelly in the band)?  The few cuts I've heard are superb.

The put 3 of the 6 tracks on the compilation "A Stranger in Town".

Primary

I didn't release this CD had material that wasn't on other CDs, so I never even thought about picking it up.

One thing funny/odd thing about this thread: When EKE BBB started it in 2005, most listeners wanted their vinyl albums to be reissued on CD.  These days, it seems like vinyl reissues are more common -- or at least just as common -- as CD reissues.

But who could have foreseen the vinyl resurgence? I know I didn't.

I suppose the ubiquity of streaming has reduced the demand for digital versions. Technology has turned things upside down.

56 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

One thing funny/odd thing about this thread: When EKE BBB started it in 2005, most listeners wanted their vinyl albums to be reissued on CD.  These days, it seems like vinyl reissues are more common -- or at least just as common -- as CD reissues.

But who could have foreseen the vinyl resurgence? I know I didn't.

I suppose the ubiquity of streaming has reduced the demand for digital versions. Technology has turned things upside down.

Interesting to read this old (15+ years) thread. Some predictions were right. Others very wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Interesting to read this old (15+ years) thread. Some predictions were right. Others very wrong. 

Fascinating read.  Thanks for sharing that, Daniel.   Most of your predictions were spot-on.

A few forum members in the thread mentioned vinyl.  But I don't think many folks expected young people -- not just audiophiles -- to embrace LPs like they have. 

It's still seems strange (to me) that big-box stores like Walmart and Target are stocking vinyl.  Admittedly, it's only stuff with mass appeal.  But I never expected to see that again after LPs were phased out in the late-80s & early-90s.  It's a time warp!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

One way or another, vinyl is ultimately for suckers.

Well... I dunno.

From where I'm sitting, sometimes vinyl makes sense and sometimes it doesn't.  Consider two examples of rare Strata-East records that I'd wanted for a long time.  Both were cost-prohibitive in the used marketplace:

• Arc Records reissued Shirley Scott's One for Me on CD and LP.  I got the CD.  It was less expensive.  Plus, the CD allowed me to rip the music and load it to the micro-SD card on my phone for portability.

• Pure Pleasure reissued Harold Vick's Don't Look Back on LP only.  I got the LP.  I paid about $35 for it, and I haven't regretted it for a second.  95% of my vinyl purchases are used (and 95% of those are sub-$10), but -- occasionally -- something like this comes along and it make sense.

That's how I look at it.

Others have different ways of calculating the value.  As long as it makes sense to them, then I say it makes sense.

Edited by HutchFan

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the appetite for immediate gratification.

$35.00 for an LP is a sucker game. Unless you burn it right away, it WILL pick up scratches or worse over the years. Or it will get dropped or otherwise int3rface ith an accident that causes damage. All kinds of things can and do go wrong with LPs. Trust me on that.

So the only way to prevent that is to immediately create a high quality rip, and how much does that cost? Not much. And why wouldn't you just do that in the first place? Because it's not being offered, because the "business" has it figured out that, for now anyway, people will pay $35.00 for vinyl.

Short term gratification, long term suckergame.

I don't necessarily agree. There are LPs I've had for more than 30 years. Sure, they might not be exactly in the condition they were, but they still play fine. A printed book will degrade over the years. Does that make me want to scan it to PDF? No, I like the feel of the cover, the handling of the LP and the awareness of gradual wear actually brings a sense of urgency to my listening session. In short, higher quality time in comparison to digital playback.

Edited by Daniel A

38 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't necessarily agree. There are LPs I've had for more than 30 years. Sure, they might not be exactly in the condition they were, but they still play fine.

I'm with you, Daniel.  Once in a very blue moon, I'll scratch a record.  But that's extremely rare.  

As for degradation of the vinyl, I'm certain that 99.9% of the LPs in my collection will be around (and perfectly playable) long after I'm gone.  I don't have enough time left to worry about them wearing out. 

44 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

A printed book will degrade over the years. Does that make me want to scan it to PDF? No, I like the feel of the cover, the handling of the LP and the awareness of gradual wear actually brings a sense of urgency to my listening session. In short, higher quality time in comparison to digital playback.

Yep.  The mutability of vinyl is precisely what makes LPs "more fun" to collect than CDs.