Your next Mosaic set

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaning towards the Stitt. I already got the CD when he plays arrangements by Quincy Jones.

From the samples on mosaicrecords it seems he is the mail solist most of the time? It is nice if the soloing takes turns I think. Any info on that?

/Shaft

I'm leaning towards the Stitt. I already got the CD when he plays arrangements by Quincy Jones.

From the samples on mosaicrecords it seems he is the mail solist most of the time? It is nice if the soloing takes turns I think. Any info on that?

/Shaft

This set is 99% Stitt

Thanks I was afraid of that. On the other hand he plays so damn good so I do not know what to to.....;-(

/Shaft

PS. Why did he not let the others through? Did he want to be the only star or was it a producer thing? He played with Jug (Gene Ammons) a lot and no problem there...

DS

Thanks I was afraid of that. On the other hand he plays so damn good so I do not know what to to.....;-(

/Shaft

PS. Why did he not let the others through? Did he want to be the only star or was it a producer thing? He played with Jug (Gene Ammons) a lot and no problem there...

DS

You're right - Sonny had no personal problem letting other musicians solo. And they're good pianists: mainly Jimmy Jones & Hank Jones, but also Dolo Coker and Harold Mabern. But the sessions were designed as showcases for Sonny for commercial reasons, so I blame the producer. I think it was mostly Teddy Reig.

I really like the set, though I'm still not really into discs 4,5 & 6 yet - left them until last. And those are all with the Joneses.

MG

/Shaft

DS

You're right - Sonny had no personal problem letting other musicians solo. And they're good pianists: mainly Jimmy Jones & Hank Jones, but also Dolo Coker and Harold Mabern. But the sessions were designed as showcases for Sonny for commercial reasons, so I blame the producer. I think it was mostly Teddy Reig.

I really like the set, though I'm still not really into discs 4,5 & 6 yet - left them until last. And those are all with the Joneses.

MG

I like the set but in reality there is a high level of sameness to much of the material. None is bad and I do like Stitt but perhaps I should of stuck with the Verve LPRs I have. These offer similar material in a smaller lower calorie package.

/Shaft

DS

MG

I like the set but in reality there is a high level of sameness to much of the material. None is bad and I do like Stitt but perhaps I should of stuck with the Verve LPRs I have. These offer similar material in a smaller lower calorie package.

Yes that's true. I recall a post in which Jim Sangrey said something like, "Hell Sonny, why do you keep on making the same album!"

That's what would have kept me from this set. I only bought it because of the LP with Don Patterson that's included in it. But once I got it, I'm enjoying it a lot.

MG

My next Mosaic set has just arrived. :P . It is the Miles Davis 1963-64 set. According to Mosaic, this one is very likely to be the next Davis set to go OOP with the Silent Way. A bit surprising as the 63-64 set is the most recent Mosaic Davis set (number 226).

My next Mosaic set has just arrived. :P . It is the Miles Davis 1963-64 set. According to Mosaic, this one is very likely to be the next Davis set to go OOP with the Silent Way. A bit surprising as the 63-64 set is the most recent Mosaic Davis set (number 226).

They possibly pressed even fewer lps than of the other sets. . . .

Thanks for the heads up. I have this set on CD but have earmarked the vinyl since it came out. The CD sound that Sony got is just great but I'm sure the LP version is stupendous. Any first opinions?

Sadly, my fridge and dishwasher have packed up so the Mosaic $ is going to be hit.

Can only hope the £ goes to $2.50 over the next few days to ease the pain ! :rhappy:

Edited by sidewinder

Guest Bixieland

I have the 63-64 Miles set on CD. I was really surprised by this one. I love the chrome small box, the most beautiful one in this series I think. Really classy...which underscores it's contents. Excellent, bright sound, extremely clean and punchy. Just gorgeous sound quality. The music is really elegant and classy too. Still wearing suits and ties, but reaching -- not sounding stale or boxed in, a little like he did on the Blackhawk.

Great, great set...again, totally surprised. I just picked this one up, because it was on sale or something and the packaging looked good and I really liked the live setting of the Blackhawk set. Also I was a little tired of the Jack Johnson/Cellar Door era, repetitive stuff. So this one made sense. 7 discs of classic jazz played real nice. A real nice era, too...with a brightness on the horizon yet still holding true to the form.

Definitely get this one, either LP or CD.

Edited by Bixieland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...