Which Charlie Parker disciples are left?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry Gibbs perhaps?

In his autobiography 'Good Vibes', Terry Gibbs recalls Bird joining in at jam sessions. One of the occasion was around 1951 when Gibbs was having a gig at Georgie Auld's club Tin Pan Alley. Bird walked in as the band was into 'Out of Nowhere' and played one chorus after the another.

A number of musicians had come to the club after hearing that Bird was jamming there. Gibbs mentions that Tony Scott was the only one with enough nerve to follow Charlie Parker's performance.

Horace Silver and Charlie Mariano also played with Bird.

hazy osterwald! he played vibes at the paris jazzfestival 1949 in the farewll blues at the end of the concert together with bird, miles, bill coleman, lips page, dorham, bechet, byas, moody, haig, potter, roach! wow! he is still alive and swinging in his 80´s!

jean "toots" thielemans also! (also at that festival on guitar).

keep boppin´

marcel

i thought this was about bird's disciples!  what does playing with bird have to do with that, necessarily?!?

You're right, Valerie, the thread has sidetracked a bit, although I think both premises are being addressed, and I think the "alternate interpretation" (i.e., those who played w/Bird and are still around) has proved to be quite interesting as well.

Did you think of a "disciple" that hadn't yet been mentioned?

Sidetracked/hijacked threads are a regular event here........ :g

If you define "disciple" as "a follower" or something like that, well - what's the point of asking the question? As long as there are musicians (and not just alto players) who listen to Bird and are inspired, there will be disciples.

But I don't think that's what was meant. If we think about Jesus and his disciples (the Apostles), those are people who had first-hand contact and who learned at the feet of the master. Considering the analogous situation with Bird and it's a limited number and there will eventually be no more of them living, hence the original question - which ones are left?

Mike

i thought this was about bird's disciples!  what does playing with bird have to do with that, necessarily?!?

You're right, Valerie, the thread has sidetracked a bit, although I think both premises are being addressed, and I think the "alternate interpretation" (i.e., those who played w/Bird and are still around) has proved to be quite interesting as well.

Did you think of a "disciple" that hadn't yet been mentioned?

Sidetracked/hijacked threads are a regular event here........ :g

thanks, free for all. i already submitted mine a few days back.

well, we're all really disciples of Bird, IMHO - and let's not forget that Jesus was Bar Mitzvah'd, and word has it that the band was pretty good (though they did bring in a DJ later on in the party) -

as for musicians who played with Bird, there's a guy named Frank Brief, played on the Bird with Strings - still alive up in New Haven, Connecticut -

as for musicians who played with Bird, there's a guy named Frank Brief, played on the Bird with Strings - still alive up in New Haven, Connecticut -

I believe he spells it Brieff. He conducted the premier of the 5 movement version of Mahler's 1st symphony. It was with the New Haven Symphony and was issued on Odyssey. :P