Brubeck on Columbia / Legacy CD reissues

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon has just listed a new reissue of "Southern Scene". The write-up says that the CD also includes a complete reissue of "The Riddle". "The Riddle" has never been released on CD. The CD will be released on July 13.

Thanks for the heads up. Looked at the listing on Amazon. No record label mentioned that's reissuing this. Could be a Fresh Sounds (Spain) needledrop bootleg for all we know.

Amazon UK says 'Solar Records'

CdUniverse says Disconforme

Amazon has just listed a new reissue of "Southern Scene". The write-up says that the CD also includes a complete reissue of "The Riddle". "The Riddle" has never been released on CD. The CD will be released on July 13.

Thanks for the heads up. Looked at the listing on Amazon. No record label mentioned that's reissuing this. Could be a Fresh Sounds (Spain) needledrop bootleg for all we know.

Amazon UK says 'Solar Records'

• 3 months later...

Amazon has a 5 CD set (individual albums) -- being released in November 2010 by Sony Masterworks. A Sony "bundling" pricing strategy to exact higher margins in the waning days of CD sales by packaging CDs together. Anyone know if these are new remasters? Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-5-CD/dp/B0042FU4IC

Some have been remastered before (Brubeck Plays Brubeck and Brandenburg Gate) . But in the case of Jazz Impressions of New York, I wonder if they will use the "purple cover" master works reissue from the early 90s or if they have remixed it newly and have restored the original album artwork. Anybody know? I think Jazz Goes to College and Gone With The Wind were part of the purple cover late 80s or early 90s remasters. So could these titles be newly remastered? The exterior of the 5 disc box slipcase tends to suggest the original album art may have been restored on the individual CD packaging.

510EhkLUURL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by monkboughtlunch

Amazon has a 5 CD set (individual albums) -- being released in November 2010 by Sony Masterworks. A Sony "bundling" pricing strategy to exact higher margins in the waning days of CD sales by packaging CDs together. Anyone know if these are new remasters? Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-5-CD/dp/B0042FU4IC

Some have been remastered before (Brubeck Plays Brubeck and Brandenburg Gate) . But in the case of Jazz Impressions of New York, I wonder if they will use the "purple cover" master works reissue from the early 90s or if they have remixed it newly and have restored the original album artwork. Anybody know? I think Jazz Goes to College and Gone With The Wind were part of the purple cover late 80s or early 90s remasters. So could these titles be newly remastered? The exterior of the 5 disc box slipcase tends to suggest the original album art may have been restored on the individual CD packaging.

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the CDs in the "Original Album Classics" series are straight reissues of older CDs, in other words, they're not new remasters.

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the CDs in the "Original Album Classics" series are straight reissues of older CDs, in other words, they're not new remasters.

If so, that's disappointing. Looks like the suits at Sony may have concocted a price bundling approach, which includes the objective of depleting new old stock CD inventory from the late 80s / early 90s "purple border" Columbia Masterworks era.

I don't think they're using old pressed discs, just not spending money making any new glass masters, doing any eq or other remastering efforts. Nothing new in the way of mastering or remastering has appeared in any of these bundles that I have or have read about.

Not a bad deal at all if you don't have most of these already.

I don't think they're using old pressed discs, just not spending money making any new glass masters, doing any eq or other remastering efforts. Nothing new in the way of mastering or remastering has appeared in any of these bundles that I have or have read about.

Not a bad deal at all if you don't have most of these already.

If they are not spending any money, will the three in question have the purple border Columbia Masterworks packaging?

you can already see the answer.

So if they wanted to save money and reuse a glass master, why not reuse the same direct to plate artwork negatives from the early 90s? If the booklet was redone, how do we know they didn't remaster the three titles? How do we know they weren't remastered in the late 90s / early 2000s campaign, but never commercially issued until now.

We don't know. I was just pointing out the cover art was different/original.

FWIW, they would not have saved/reused the glass masters, though they might use the same digital files.

FWIW, the formats (audio {u-matics) and visual {printing negative films}) used in the early days of cd production are not used today. It would actually be cheaper to begin anew unless all the early editions were saved on a hard drive somewhere, which I find unlikely but not impossible. The cover scans would be new but the cd masters could be made from a first edition cd.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think at least 2 of the 3 we are talking about have been remastered & re-issued in Japan before -- that is, at a date later than when those awful domestic releases with purple borders were out. Couldn't Sony USA have borrowed/leased the remasterings from Sony Japan? In any case, I hope these are remasters w/ original covers.

Edited by Bol

I just got an email from Russell Gloyd, Dave Brubeck's long time manager. It seems that some additional tracks from Dave Digs Disney have been located

and a further expanded reissue is planned for 2011.

Columbia has numerous unissued sessions in the vault, including a Brubeck quartet with clarinetist Bill Smith tentatively to be titled Witches' Brew which

will likely not be released.

I think at least 2 of the 3 we are talking about have been remastered & re-issued in Japan before -- that is, at a date later than when those awful domestic releases with purple borders were out. Couldn't Sony USA have borrowed/leased the remasterings from Sony Japan? In any case, I hope these are remasters w/ original covers.

Amazon is showing this is now out on the streets. Anyone pick it up? Are we getting any new remasterings? Or did Sony Sales Execs just bundle a bunch of New Old Stock (NOS) discs to monetize dormant inventory, including 3 discs of the poorly regarded "purple border Columbia Masterworks" masterings from 15-20 years ago?

• 2 months later...

Not exactly Legacy... anyone has details on this Avid Brubeck disc:

http://www.avidgroup.co.uk/acatalog/info_CD__AMSC901.html

They say it's "previously unreleased material recorded around the summer and autumn of 1958", studio transcriptions right from Joe Benjamin was to be replaced by Gene Wright.

And what about Herman Wright? Did he play with the quartet between Bates and Benjamin?

Bruyninckx has the bassist as "Herman 'Gene' Wright" for two entries (Feb 22, 1958 and Mar 5, 1958).

Then, for summer 1958 (DB in Europe, Newport 1958, Jazz Impressions of Eurasia) Benjamin is listed, and beginnging with the one title from the Monterey 3CD compilation (Oct 5, 1958), it's Eugene/Gene Wright.

• 3 months later...

51M5qbm4bYL._SS500_.jpg

Dave Digs Disney Legacy Edition sound samples on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Digs-Disney-Legacy-Edition/dp/B004W4UBRW

Press release

(Press release) Following jazz icon Dave Brubeck’s 90th birthday on December 6, 2010, Columbia/Legacy continues the celebration with a greatly-expanded reissue of the 1957 classic Dave Digs Disney. Originally issued as a six-track album recorded in mono, DAVE DIGS DISNEY: LEGACY EDITION will now feature the album in both mono and stereo mixes, as well as an abundance of rare bonus tracks. The title is set for digital release on May 24, 2011.

Dave Digs Disney is in many ways an important album in the Brubeck canon. It marked the first time a musician (or in this case, a group of musicians) dedicated an entire series of tunes to interpretations of children’s fare – the films of Walt Disney; it also became the second most important title in The Dave Brubeck Quartet’s Columbia catalogue, after the platinum-selling Time Out album, and the one to which many listeners return to. The Dave Brubeck Quartet is comprised of Dave Brubeck (piano), Paul Desmond (Alto Saxophone), Norman Bates (bass) and Joe Morello (drums).

DAVE DIGS DISNEY: LEGACY EDITION will feature a new foreword by Brubeck, as well as the original liner notes by album producer George Avakian. All of the audio content has been digitally remastered by producer Didier C. Deutsch and engineer Mark Wilder, under the supervision of executive producer Russell Gloyd.

The excitement of hearing Dave Digs Disney for the first time in broad stereo makes this reissue as important as when the album was first released in 1957.

Tracks:

Disc 1:

Song Title Artist Time Price

Play

1. Alice In Wonderland (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 9:26 Not Available

Play

2. Give A Little Whistle (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 7:34 Not Available

Play

3. Heigh-Ho (The Dwarfs' Marching Song) (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 3:55 Not Available

Play

4. When You Wish Upon A Star (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:50 Not Available

Play

5. Some Day My Prince Will Come (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 8:17 Not Available

Play

6. One Song (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:59 Not Available

Play

7. Very Good Advice (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 5:31 Not Available

Play

8. So This Is Love (Mono Version) The Dave Brubeck Quartet 5:55 Not Available

Disc 2:

Song Title Artist Time Price

Play

1. Alice In Wonderland (Stereo Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 9:25 Not Available

Play

2. Give A Little Whistle (Stereo Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 7:33 Not Available

Play

3. Heigh-Ho (The Dwarfs' Marching Song) (Stereo Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:21 Not Available

Play

4. When You Wish Upon A Star (Stereo Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:52 Not Available

Play

5. Someday My Prince Will Come (Stereo Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 8:13 Not Available

Play

6. One Song (Stereo Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:54 Not Available

Play

7. Very Good Advice (Stereo Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 5:32 Not Available

Play

8. So This Is Love (previously unreleased alternate take) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:32 Not Available

Play

9. Heigh-Ho (The Dwarfs' Marching Song) (alternate take) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:15 Not Available

Play

10. When You Wish Upon A Star (alternate take) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 5:45 Not Available

Play

11. Someday My Prince Will Come (alternate take) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 5:15 Not Available

Play

12. So This Is Love (alternate take) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet 4:36 Not Available

Play

13. One Song (Mono Version) Dave Brubeck;The Dave Brubeck Quartet