Let us give thanks

felser

Thanksgiving Day - while remembering our other blessings, let us give thanks to the Creator for this beautiful music and the magnificent musicians who have delivered and continue to deliver it to us, especially John Coltrane, whose liner note poem from "A Love Supreme" is pasted below the brief Psalm.

"Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,

And into His courts with praise.

Be thankful to Him, and bless His name."

Psalm 100:3

A Love Supreme

I will do all I can to be worthy of Thee, O Lord.

It all has to do with it.

Thank You God.

Peace.

There is none other.

God is. It is so beautiful.

Thank You God. God is all.

Help us to resolve our fears and weaknesses.

In you all things are possible.

Thank you God.

We know. God made us so.

Keep your eye on God.

God is. He always was. He always will be.

No matter what... it is God.

He is gracious and merciful.

It is most important that I know Thee.

Words, sounds, speech, men, memory, throughts,

fears and emotions--time--all related...

all made from one... all made in one.

Blessed be his name.

Thought waves--heat waves--all vibrations--

all paths lead to God. Thank you God.

His way... it is so lovely... it is gracious.

It is merciful--Thank you God.

One thought can produce millions of vibrations

and they all go back to God... everything does.

Thank you God.

Have no fear... believe... Thank you God.

The universe has many wonders. God is all.

His way... it is so wonderful.

Thoughts--deeds--vibrations,

all go back to God and He cleanses all.

He is gracious and merciful... Thank you God.

Glory to God... God is so alive.

God is.

God loves.

May I be acceptable in Thy sight.

We are all one in His grace.

The fact that we do exist is acknowledgement

of Thee, O Lord.

Thank you God.

God will wash away all our tears...

He always has...

He always will.

Seek him everyday. In all ways seek God everyday.

Let us sing all songs to God.

To whom all praise is due... praise God.

No road is an easy one, but they all

go back to God.

With all we share God.

It is all with God.

It is all with Thee.

Obey the Lord.

Blessed is He.

We were all from one thing... the will of God...

Thank you God.

--I have seen ungodly--

none can be greater--none can compare

Thank you God.

He will remake... He always has and He

always will.

It's true--blessed be His name--Thank you God.

God breathes through us so completely...

so gently we hardly feel it... yet,

it is our everything.

Thank you God.

ELATION--ELEGANCE--EXALTATION--

All from God.

Thank you God. Amen.

-John Coltrane (December, 1964)

I thought religious outings were not allowed. I strongly object to this thread.

I think religion sucks, but that "not allowed" stuff sucks, too.

this board has seen it's share of missionary postings all over the place. At some point there was a consensus struck that religious posts should be made in the politics forum. You have already mocked and likely offended some with that picture of the cigarettes. Religion is a highly flammable subject and discussion thereof should better be "contained" for the sake of overall friendliness. My grandmother only had one rule at family dinners: no talk about politics, religion or the royal family. We still had plenty to discuss.

this board has seen it's share of missionary postings all over the place. At some point there was a consensus struck that religious posts should be made in the politics forum. You have already mocked and likely offended some with that picture of the cigarettes. Religion is a highly flammable subject and discussion thereof should better be "contained" for the sake of overall friendliness. My grandmother only had one rule at family dinners: no talk about politics, religion or the royal family. We still had plenty to discuss.

:tup

Guys, it wasn't a "missionary" post. Thanksgiving is a national holiday in the USA. This was part of my celebrating it, remembering to whom and for what I am thankful. What you choose to do with the day is up to you, but does that mean I have to acknowledge it in your way only? Is absolutely any mention of God considered a religious posting? And can 'A Love Supreme' not be considered on this board in the context in which Coltrane intended it? Or does discussion of 'A Love Supreme' belong in the political forum?

I have to agree that this post is relatively harmless. People don't have a right to not be offended by something. Just don't read it. Now, if this was some sort of "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL!!!" or something like "You can't listen to Coltrane without being a Christian" type of a post, I might agreet that it belongs in Politics (side-note: Should I rename the forum "Politics, Religion, and other touchy subjects?" ;)) but this was a pretty simple celebration of a holiday and a man's music.

I don't see why there needs to be a fuss.

And your fuss is another man's no fuss. So what? This place can be SO extremely frustrating because everybody wants it to be run the way THEY think it should be run. Guess what? I can't do that. So learn some tolerance, ok? Is the original post THAT offensive?! C'mon!

Like I said, people don't have a right not to be offended by something. If that was the case, y'all might as well stop posting any and all opinions about any music because most likely your opinion about some artist might offend someone else. I mean, where does it stop? Anytime someone mentions God or a Creator I have to move it into Politics because it might offend somebody? If someone says "I think Junior Cook was a shitty saxophonist." I should move it into Politics because it might offend someone? What if one of his kids is reading this and is offended by that statement?

Again, where does it stop?

This is the kind of stuff that does no one any good.

For the record, I don't mind the suggestions and people reporting posts. I can't stay on top of all the things around here. And I also don't mind debating things like this.

Oh yeah, and I love you all. :wub:

Look, I agree that most religious discussions belong in Politics, because most of them deal with "moral" issues or issues that are also "political" in nature. But just mentioning God doesn't count, imo. If I were to start a thread about Coltrane, and we began discussing his religious beliefs and how that affected his music, would that belong in Politics?

Again, where does it stop? I'm sorry that some of you were offended by the post, but I can't keep everyone from being offended all the time. I just can't, without completely destroying the soul of this board. With freedom of speech comes the risk of being offended by that speech and I try as hard as I can to uphold freedom of speech as much as I can. Obviously there has to be exceptions, but I try to stay true to that as much as possible.

Am I making any sense?

Look, I agree that most religious discussions belong in Politics, because most of them deal with "moral" issues or issues that are also "political" in nature. But just mentioning God doesn't count, imo. If I were to start a thread about Coltrane, and we began discussing his religious beliefs and how that affected his music, would that belong in Politics?

Again, where does it stop? I'm sorry that some of you were offended by the post, but I can't keep everyone from being offended all the time. I just can't, without completely destroying the soul of this board. With freedom of speech comes the risk of being offended by that speech and I try as hard as I can to uphold freedom of speech as much as I can. Obviously there has to be exceptions, but I try to stay true to that as much as possible.

Am I making any sense?

hey, I don't have any problems with this post. Apparantly Hans does and I understand where he is coming from so I pointed out that we've had some problems before with religious content and arrived at some consensus then. All I am saying is that this tends to be a volatile subject and a subject people like to mock or defend arduously.

True, there will always be bruised feelings on both sides when religion comes up. I think Jim is suggesting a slightly different interpretation of the current detente cordiale, i.e. that music that has a specifically religious nature or religious connotions (A Love Supreme, Ellington's Sacred Concerts, Mary Lou Williams' Mass) should be discussed under music, rather than Non-music, Political. I would support him in that. This is still primarily a music board, even if there is a lot of non-political posting.

Anyway, I can certainly get behind being thankful for A Love Supreme, as well as the existence of this board, which has turned me onto all kinds of music. (Maybe my wallet isn't quite as thankful.) Thanks to everyone!

I'm thankful for A Love Supreme as well. It's a benchmark of passionate, sincere musical expression. It's a recording that has had a strong place in my listening world and that has made me THINK and FEEL in ways others haven't.

Thanks JC!

And Jim, thanks for running this board the way that you do!

You're making perfect sense.