Ingrid Jensen

I searched the archives and saw only a few mentions of Ingrid Jensen, usually in the context of "women in jazz". I'm curious if enough people have crossed paths with her to warrent a good thread dedicated to her.

Specifically, I'm curious if there is a buzz in the Northeast about her. She's from BC and she definitely has a big following here in the Northwest, but she's NY based and I don't seem to hear as much about her from New Yorkers.

Just curious.

Ingrid is very, very well thought of by NYC musicians and and fans alike.

Unfortunatly, she does not play as a leader much in NYC but her appearance at the Kitano this Fall was a great sucess.

She is not only a fine, trumpeter but a gifted composer also.

She also spends a good amount of time as a gust educator amd cilician around the world besides her work with the MSJO.

Ingrid Jensen

ingridbamberg02.jpg

I have only two albums with her performing.

One, Now as Then, is an organ project that is a pretty good album.

The other, the Jim Knapp Orchestra's Secular Breathing, goes close to classic territory and is one of the albums I have enjoyed most this year. It's a Seattle outfit, and thanks to Phil kelly for the tip. A 13-piece outfit doing great, souldful, hard-boppish tunes - big band sound with small group suppleness.

Get it HERE

Edited by kenny weir

I heard a piece about her on NPR about a year ago (plus or minus), and they mentioned a recording project she did with some Scottish big band (from Glasgow, if I remember), performing the original "Miles Ahead" charts. They played a bit too.

Always meant to follow-up and try to find that recording, but never did (yet). Anybody know what recording that is?? Anybody here heard it?? How is it??

I heard a piece about her on NPR about a year ago (plus or minus), and they mentioned a recording project she did with some Scottish big band (from Glasgow, if I remember), performing the original "Miles Ahead" charts. They played a bit too.

Always meant to follow-up and try to find that recording, but never did (yet). Anybody know what recording that is?? Anybody here heard it?? How is it??

The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra - MILES AHEAD

featuring INGRID JENSEN

All Music Arranged By Gil Evans

Conducted By Tommy Smith

STS005big.gif

This is one that I don't have yet. I'll have to correct that soon.

You can get it here for $10.40 directly from Spartacus Records:

Miles Ahead - Ingrid Jensen w/SNJO

Uncle Skid - Tea and Watercolors is a wonderful song by Keezer that is also on his new cd Wildcrafted, but I'm going to get At Sea soon. These are my kind of people/players. Creative, soulful and dedicated.

Edited by marcello

I agree.

I have this one on CDR:

Ingrid Jensen & Project O

Montreal, Canada 10/19/03

1. Now and Then 2:27

2. Silver Twilight 16:43

3. The Night Has a Thousand eyes 20:46

4. Constant Craving 16:35

Ingrid Jensen - Trumpet

Seamus Blake Tenor

Gary Versace - B3 Organ & Piano

Jon Wikan - Drums

Guests; Geoffrey Keezer - piano

Cristine Jensen - Alto & Soprano

Masion de la Culture Frontenac, Montreal, Canada

Thanks for all the replies. I cross paths with her now and again and was curious because there is a lot of attention for her whenever she comes west, but I don't read that much about her from elsehwhere and wondered if she got as much attention back east where she lives.

I have a couple of her records and like them fine, but never seem to pull them off the shelf and play them. She's GREAT live though, in my opinion. Anyone who hasn't seen her should treat themselves when they have the opportunity. She's also I think, one of the players who, in addition to being skilled, brings something unique to the party. She's got her own take on what it is that she's trying to play and kind of a unique set of methods and thoughts on how to approach playing jazz, which is one reason she's an in-demand teacher.

I may or may not see her next week and it got me thinking about it, searching for old posts and realizing that there weren't many. Plus, I was feeling like the tape reel had started over on the Dexter Gordon thread.

Edited by TroyK

I did end up getting to see Ingrid last night. It's been at least a year since I've seen her and thinking about it I pulled out the one record of hers that I own "Here on Earth". I don't listen to this record much and listenning again, it didn't really grab me. But, her presence live is astounding. She is really a great player with some cool ideas.

I need to try to locate some of her earlier records, but I suggest seeing her live if you get the chance. She's about to tour with Maria Schnieder (sp?). I don't know if that's the best way to hear her because it will be a large group, but I strongly recommend checking her out when the opportunity presents itself.

I have a similar opportunity to see Jessica Williams tonight, but won't be able to make it, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

This from Ingrid Jensen:

Thursday night! Come on out and celebrate the release of Ingrid's Artistshare release of At Sea.

Featuring: Geoffrey Keezer on Keyboards~Lage Lund on guitar~Matt Clohesy on the bass and Jon Wikan on drums and percussion.

go to www.55bar.com for more details!

or

ingridjensen.com

Happy New Year to all and if you are out of range of this gig, please check into my site (next week) for gig highlights and birthday pictures!

peace,

ingrid

Edited by marcello

• 2 weeks later...

The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra - MILES AHEAD

featuring INGRID JENSEN

All Music Arranged By Gil Evans

Conducted By Tommy Smith

STS005big.gif

This is one that I don't have yet. I'll have to correct that soon.

You can get it here for $10.40 directly from Spartacus Records:

Miles Ahead - Ingrid Jensen w/SNJO

Anyone else get this? My copy arrived yesterday. I like it very much. Very good recording quality. Fine playing by Ingrid in Miles' role. Plays homage to Miles but definitely does her own thing, too. The original is one of my all time favorite jazz recordings and this one won't me forget that one. But I'm going to be playing this one often, too.

Edited by John Tapscott

I agree.

I have this one on CDR:

Ingrid Jensen & Project O

Montreal, Canada 10/19/03

That was a very fine concert, indeed! Jensen is in good form, and Seamus Blake plays beautifully, especially on 'Silver Twilight'.

All of her Enja albums are strongly recommended. Personally I find the first one, Vernal Fields, the most enjoyable (I think the compositions by her sister Christine are wonderful), but all of them have their merits. The more recent Now as Then, is good too.

I have never heard an uninteresting solo by Ingrid.

In 2004, I was able to hear Jensen quite a bit in different settings on The Jazz Cruise. Great player. I remember trumpet player Greg Gisbert talking about loving her playing so much that he gave her many of his jazz solo spots when they had a steady Monday night gig at Visiones /NYC (with Maria Schneider's orchestra).

Marla

Ingrid Jensen was part of the best concert I have ever been a part of. She was the guest artist at my high school big band's end-of-the-year concert, at the Lincoln Theater on Miami Beach back in 1998. The charts she picked out were absolutely amazing: Maria Schneider's "Last Season," a big band arrangement of "Vernal Fields," Dave Holland's "The Oracle" (arranged by someone German, I think--I played electric piano), the Diva version of "Caravan," "My Ideal"...I think we may have played "Marsh Blues" from Vernal Fields as a combo, also. Everybody somehow rose to the occasion and managed to pull the charts off. I ran into her at a show at CBGB earlier this year with Joel Frahm...she's gotten married recently and seems like she's doing really well, playing with lots of up-and-coming people.

Edited by Big Wheel

I'm playing "Swotterings" off the "At Sea" disc right now. It's got a rad prog-jazz series of changes... it keeps ending and then starting over again. Geoff Keezer is killing, and Ingrid is shifting tones. I'm diggin' it.

I just downloaded that track from her ArtistShare site, I'm diggin' it as well. Very nice!

• 1 month later...

Go see her, man. You'll be glad. I don't think that what she does really translates that well to records. Very engaging live player.

Catch the show and post your perspective.