Youtube.com

Aggie87

That Wynton Kelly Trio video was great!

Jim - I started noticing earlier this week that many videos were gone. Is there a copyright lawyer combing the site? Plus there are so many dupes (and dopes) hanging around the system.

Question - other than subscribing to certain channels, is there a way to search by term and date range of upload (ie "jazz" "july 20-august 4") to find something new?

Fwiw, one of the (groups of) videos that I noticed was missing was the Frank Rosolino "Jazz Scene USA" performances that have been commercially available. However, I had also noticed the disappearance of a bunch of videos uploaded by a jazz guitarist in Holland that I'd been following. That could be coincidental to whatever else may be going on, I suppose. Never having uploaded myself, I wonder if there are limitations to the number of videos one can upload.

Also, after viewing one of the videos by this guitarist, I noticed that there was some sort of automated display of samples (some were directly related to the video I had watched, such as other guitar players playing the same tune; and some were not only completely unrelated, but shockingly so- such as a "lesbian kiss" video :huh: ) which immediately followed. Strange.

As far as searching, I'm not sure, but I'm not aware that you can do "advanced" types of searches (hopefully that will come). I just hope they don't screw it up completely (you can still search using quotation marks for specific phrases, unlike some other sites).

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever notice that (on all Miles' versions) the horns play the "So What" riff three times, and only the rhythm section plays it the fourth time? Seems like anytime I hear a group play that tune they always play the riff every time.

Not really a dealbreaker, just an observation. Sorry I blew up. :)

Nice observation. Kinda like Monk saying Steve Lacy was "the guy who played WORK right".

That Wynton Kelly Trio video was great!

Jim - I started noticing earlier this week that many videos were gone. Is there a copyright lawyer combing the site? Plus there are so many dupes (and dopes) hanging around the system.

Question - other than subscribing to certain channels, is there a way to search by term and date range of upload (ie "jazz" "july 20-august 4") to find something new?

Fwiw, one of the (groups of) videos that I noticed was missing was the Frank Rosolino "Jazz Scene USA" performances that have been commercially available.

Oops- it was actually Dailymotion where I had seen those Rosolino videos. :wacko:

Since I am writing notes for a Bill Evans release, I surfed for him on the web and came across some clips from my show, "The Jazz Set," the week Bill was my guest (May 1972).

How My Heart Sings

My Romance

Gloria's Step

I'm going to guess that the uploaders didn't include any Chris A. intros, which is really too bad because I wanted to see Chris with some big old early 70s sideburns. :P

Since I am writing notes for a Bill Evans release, I surfed for him on the web and came across some clips from my show, "The Jazz Set," the week Bill was my guest (May 1972).

How My Heart Sings

My Romance

Gloria's Step

I'm going to guess that the uploaders didn't include any Chris A. intros, which is really too bad because I wanted to see Chris with some big old early 70s sideburns. :P

Hint, hint. :g Thanks for posting those, Chris.

I finally found a Tommy Flanagan video (and a DAMN good one, it is, with George Mraz and Lewis Nash).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2GnTN2trTA

Apologies if it's already been posted- this thread is tough to get a grasp on.

Man, that Coltrane/Kelly/Chambers/Cobb video is a treasure. :cool:

I hope they don't upload any intros or interviews, I am quite content to be a figured at the bar in the background. Not only did I have sideburns, my hair was shoulder length, I chain smoked, and I wore the most ridiculous "mod" outfits. :o

Hey Chris...thanks for the great video clips. Are there any shows of yours on Youtube that you know of? I remember seeing you interview Mingus. Was that on your show? Any other performers you remember being on the show? How many episodes were there?

(sorry for all the questions. :g )

Yes, the interview included in "Triumph of the Underdog" is from my show, as is one of the musical numbers (not shown in its entirety)

Here are 20 of the “The Jazz Set” lineups, I think we did 24 altogether. Dan Morgenstern was kind enough to sit in for me on the first one (Randy Weston), because I took ill (not a good start!). The dates are taping dates and the personnel is in some cases incomplete:

February 2, 1972

Randy Weston

February 7

Roy Haynes Hip Ensemble

February 15

Larry Johnson
(the blues singer/guitarist)

February 22

Clifford Jordan

Jordan (ts); George Coleman (ts); Stanley Cowell (pno); Bill Lee (bs); Al “Tootie” Heath (dms); Sheila Jordan and Dee Dee Bridgewater (vocals).

February 29

Joe Lee Wilson

Accompanying group included Rashied Ali (dms).

March 6

Jimmy Heath All-Stars

Jimmy H. (ts); Curtis Fuller (tbn); Kenny Barron (pno); Bill Lee (bs); Al “Tootie” Heath (dms); Mtume (congas).

March 14

Rashied Ali

A trio, as I recall)

March 21

Ray Draper and the New Island Social Club

Ray (tuba, baritone horn, vocals and perc.); Atlee Chapman (valve tbn); Clive Stevens (sop and ts); Bu Pleasant (organ and voc); Stu Williamson (bs); Richard Crooks (dms).

March 28

Irene Reid

Don’t have info on accompanying group.

April 11

Sam Wooding

Wooding (pno); Louis Metcalfe (tpt); Jimmy Wright (ts); Jimmy Shirley (gtr); Al Drears (dms); Rae Harrison (voc). I later did a one-hour special with Sam and his big band, which was mostly an informal interview w. Sam on a set that recreated his Harlem apartment (we even borrowed some furniture and paintings from him). He felt quite at home and was seemingly oblivious of the 3 cameras.

April 11

Charles McGhee and The Gap

Charles McGhee (tpt). Don’t recall the rest of group.

April 18

Keno Duke

Keno (dms); Frank Strozier (ts); and others.

April 18

Joe McPhee

McPhee (tpt and ts); Clifford Thornton (tpt); Mike Kull (pno); Harold Smith (dms).

April 25

Lonnie Liston Smith

LL Smith (pno); John Gilmore (ts); Jazzbo Alexander (flute); Cecil McBee (bs); Norman Connors (dms); Ná Ná (congas and birimbau).

April 24

Jeremy Steig

Steig (flute); Gene Perla el-bs); Don Alias (dms).

May 2

Ted Curson

Curson (tpt and piccolo horn); Bill Barron (ts); Lee Scippers (vibes); Sam Jones (bs); Freddy Waits (dms).

May 9

Charles Mingus Sextet feat. Charles McPherson

Mingus (bs); Lonnie Hillyer (tpt); Bobby Jones (ts); McPherson (alto sax); John Foster (pno); Roy Brooks (dms).

May 16

Ray Bryant Trio

Bryant (pno); Harold Dodson (bs); Leroy Williams (dms).

May 23

Bobbi Humphrey

Humphrey (flute); Harold Mabern (pno); Bob Cranshaw (bs); Mickey Roker (dms).

May 30

Bill Evans Trio

Evans (pno); Eddie Gomez (bs); Marty Morrel (dms).

That’s all the info I have, although a complete list, with personnel, is somewhere in my apartment. I don’t know how many of these tapes still exist—I only have 2 or 3, but I believe that PBS still has the master dupes of the 13 aired by them. There may well be more on YouTube, I haven't really looked. I also may have posted this list before, but perhaps on another BBS.

April 25

Lonnie Liston Smith

LL Smith (pno); John Gilmore (ts); Jazzbo Alexander (flute); Cecil McBee (bs); Norman Connors (dms); Ná Ná (congas and birimbau).

OMG! OMG! OMG!

THIS IS THE ONE THAT I'VE BEEN CRAVING!

(but, of course, you know that...)

There's a special place in my brain that can bring

up some of this session again and again with such utter delight.

I was absolutely transfixed to the screen while watching this.

Couldn't find it on youtube tho... :(

Also: I think that there was a Barry Miles session too -

doing, I think, his Cityscape fusion "suite" that was later released on Sky Train.

I think I still remember the Jeremy Steig session with Howling for Judy too.

We need 'em all on a DVD boxset!

Rod

Edited by rostasi

February 2, 1972

Randy Weston

February 7

Roy Haynes Hip Ensemble

February 15

Larry Johnson
(the blues singer/guitarist)

February 22

Clifford Jordan

Jordan (ts); George Coleman (ts); Stanley Cowell (pno); Bill Lee (bs); Al “Tootie” Heath (dms); Sheila Jordan and Dee Dee Bridgewater (vocals).

February 29

Joe Lee Wilson

Accompanying group included Rashied Ali (dms).

March 6

Jimmy Heath All-Stars

Jimmy H. (ts); Curtis Fuller (tbn); Kenny Barron (pno); Bill Lee (bs); Al “Tootie” Heath (dms); Mtume (congas).

March 14

Rashied Ali

A trio, as I recall)

March 21

Ray Draper and the New Island Social Club

Ray (tuba, baritone horn, vocals and perc.); Atlee Chapman (valve tbn); Clive Stevens (sop and ts); Bu Pleasant (organ and voc); Stu Williamson (bs); Richard Crooks (dms).

March 28

Irene Reid

Don’t have info on accompanying group.

April 11

Sam Wooding

Wooding (pno); Louis Metcalfe (tpt); Jimmy Wright (ts); Jimmy Shirley (gtr); Al Drears (dms); Rae Harrison (voc). I later did a one-hour special with Sam and his big band, which was mostly an informal interview w. Sam on a set that recreated his Harlem apartment (we even borrowed some furniture and paintings from him). He felt quite at home and was seemingly oblivious of the 3 cameras.

April 11

Charles McGhee and The Gap

Charles McGhee (tpt). Don’t recall the rest of group.

April 18

Keno Duke

Keno (dms); Frank Strozier (ts); and others.

April 18

Joe McPhee

McPhee (tpt and ts); Clifford Thornton (tpt); Mike Kull (pno); Harold Smith (dms).

April 25

Lonnie Liston Smith

April 24

Jeremy Steig

Steig (flute); Gene Perla el-bs); Don Alias (dms).

May 2

Ted Curson

Curson (tpt and piccolo horn); Bill Barron (ts); Lee Scippers (vibes); Sam Jones (bs); Freddy Waits (dms).

May 9

Charles Mingus Sextet feat. Charles McPherson

Mingus (bs); Lonnie Hillyer (tpt); Bobby Jones (ts); McPherson (alto sax); John Foster (pno); Roy Brooks (dms).

May 16

Ray Bryant Trio

Bryant (pno); Harold Dodson (bs); Leroy Williams (dms).

May 23

Bobbi Humphrey

Humphrey (flute); Harold Mabern (pno); Bob Cranshaw (bs); Mickey Roker (dms).

May 30

Bill Evans Trio

Evans (pno); Eddie Gomez (bs); Marty Morrel (dms).

These would make a really cool box set - even with the chain-smoking, long-haired, side-burned, mod-dressed host.

:g

The Wynton Kelly Trio ( Trane heard briefly ) .

Wynton Kelly = Effortless swing + pure joy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwrv6RtvtA

That's the concert where Stan Getz joined the Coltrane group (or should I say Miles-less Miles group?) on two numbers (and Oscar Peterson replaced Kelly on the last of those two). I think someone mentioned on this board recently that a video exists. A DVD should come out of this concert!

From this page, which I found out about at Rifftides (Doug Ramsey's blog): http://tostud2.free.fr/pageindex.html

Coltrane & Getz (Real Audio required)

:excl::excl::excl: