Ebay craziness

As a warning to any book collectors out there, check out these two items and compare these two listings of the book "Jazz" by Ed van der Elsken:

290338453456 and 290343052062

The first, listed by a reputable seller (I have dealt with several times personally) lists the collectible 1959 book club edition of this title, disclosing the faults and got a nice price.

Curiously, the second listing, by a 7 feedback seller, uses the same description word for word. But this does not appear to be a resale of the first book; look at the scan of the book--it has a bar code on it, indicating it is the more recent re-issue by Steidhl. Innocent explanations may exist for this; however, I would be very careful about this item, if one is hoping to land a bargain on what can be a very expensive little book (if that sort of thing interests one).

Good luck on those auctions.

Baker

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

$3,342.99 for Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims ?? . "Stunning copy of a stunning record"

Uh.................no .

Zoot is good on the date sure , but Jerry Lloyd is mediocre . He puts his Baker-like anemic sound to no particular good use ; his lack of regular playing evident in his halting and uncertain phrasing and shaky intonation . Additionally , as I recall , he was asthmatic or had some kind of lung problem and only took up the trumpet as therapy .

• 2 weeks later...

How about this one: 1949 Carnegie Hall Christmas Concert (I know there's a thread on this one somewhere else); 190342389270;$143 for the single disc? There are three up on Amazon, cheapest just added for $17, added after the auction closed. 2 of the remaining ones appear to be from resellers, but the other two are at $27, a lot for one disc, but at least a sane price.

Even if he finds a buyer, ebay could step in and disallow the sale, since they have been requiring that all sellers include Paypal as an option for payment.

I think he/she would do better selling them individually, but that is the seller's call.

Looks like you're right. That auction has been pulled. What was the asking price?

Edited by mellowT

I can't see anything wrong in it. People "invest" in art since ancient Greece. Most of the music on the OOP Mosaic is available in cheaper form. So what's the problem?

Selling records is a commercial activity, a business like many others, I contemplated the idea of turn my passion into a full time job several times, when I was fade up of my usual job.

BTW I have some Mosaics I listened to once, or not at all. I am happy for having some unknown stuff on the shelves I can listen to in the cold winter's nights.

I can't see anything wrong in it. People "invest" in art since ancient Greece.

None really - as I asked in the previous post, are Mosaics a good investment? If they are comparable to other forms of investment in typical rates of return, then it's not mad. But there's a strong suggestion in other posts that this particular seller doesn't know what he's doing as far as getting the best result on his investment is concerned. So, if he's not listening to the music but buying for investment and he doesn't know how best to get his return, that's mad.

MG

I can't see anything wrong in it. People "invest" in art since ancient Greece.

None really - as I asked in the previous post, are Mosaics a good investment? If they are comparable to other forms of investment in typical rates of return, then it's not mad. But there's a strong suggestion in other posts that this particular seller doesn't know what he's doing as far as getting the best result on his investment is concerned. So, if he's not listening to the music but buying for investment and he doesn't know how best to get his return, that's mad.

MG

Well, this is 'his' problem. Any business requires some knowledge, and a fair amount of work, in order to maximize the profit. Apparently the guy is not a great seller, or maybe he need the money at this very moment.

Edited by porcy62