Ebay craziness

After all these years, I'm surprised that there still is eBay craziness.

The days of people tearing their hair out to get a copy of "True Blue" (Tina Brooks) and the JRVG of "Blue Train" (by, err ....) ought to be long gone, after all the re-re-reissues. And I still don't know why there is all the fuss about original Blue Note LPs.

I still remember getting a CDr of the "Blue Train" JRVG from a friend, playing it once, and then parking it on a shelf someplace. I've never dug it out since, lol. (It was temporarily OOP at the time.)

There was far too much impatience in the late 90s about CDs.

And I still don't know why there is all the fuss about original Blue Note LPs.

Admittedly in good nick they do sound very, very good on a half-way decent turntable, however the prices of late are ridiculous.

Anyone wanting the vinyl would get much better bang for buck with something like the Music Matters 2x45rpm sets.

Edited by sidewinder

Really crazy! That slice on the box spine looks bad!

This CD set usually sells in the $600 range.

I really want to find this set - at a reasonable price!

$600 would be the high end of the range on eBay. I've seen mint ones go for as little as $350. One just sold a week ago for $380.

that would work for me!

Edited by Bright Moments

One of my best finds was a complete and like new Nat King Cole Trio Mosaic for $180 Buy It Now on eBay a year or two ago.

$600 would be the high end of the range on eBay. I've seen mint ones go for as little as $350. One just sold a week ago for $380.

that would work for me!

That must be an all-time record. Lowest I've seen is about $350.

After all these years, I'm surprised that there still is eBay craziness.

The days of people tearing their hair out to get a copy of "True Blue" (Tina Brooks) and the JRVG of "Blue Train" (by, err ....) ought to be long gone, after all the re-re-reissues. And I still don't know why there is all the fuss about original Blue Note LPs.

The craziness is still going strong.

Just from the past two weeks, here are prices reached by original BN LPs (all monos):

Walter Davis 'Davis Cup' $2,000

Johnny Griffin 'The Congregation' $1,875

Kenny Dorham 'Afro-Cuban' $1,631

Eric Dolphy 'Out to Lunch' $1,524

Jutta Hipp 'With Zoot Sims' $1,338

Louis Smith 'Here Comes Louis Smith' $1,275

Louis Smith 'Smithville' $1,048

Cliff Jordan 'BN1565', $939

My last music-related purchase from eBay was, as far as I recall, in 2005 or 2006. Anything/everything I'm usually interested in is way over-priced nowadays, especially because some collectors seem to have money growing out of their ears. It's amazing to see how lazy some people seem to have become. They have the cash and aren't about to leave the house to save a mere $1000.

I've become, out of necessity, a bargain hunter elsewhere and, as this forum shows, there are tons of good bargains to be had all around.

Edited by neveronfriday

Really crazy! That slice on the box spine looks bad!

This CD set usually sells in the $600 range.

I really want to find this set - at a reasonable price!

The seller incorrectly listed this set as pop and got the release date wrong, it came out in 1991, as I have a promo copy of it.

With so many Mosaic fetching $50 or more per disc, I would think $800 or more would be the going price, as it has been

out of print since 1994. I'm wondering why the seller didn't include the number of the set, too.

And more lunacy. Wayne Shorter 'Adams Apple' Liberty from the Jazz Record Center for over $300!

Adams Apple

To be fair, the seller is 100% reliable and honest, and it is the mono pressing. Perhaps those are scarce? I'll just stick with my RVG CD though!

This was an original pressing! AFAIK No 'Adams Apple' LPs with the plain BN label!

• 2 weeks later...

Prices for BN Hank Mobley originals going up, up and away???

Hank Mobley

Another one going even higher; $2,616

Hank Mobley

Insane, especially for a VG+ (or more likely, VG) copy.

Yeah, especially since you can get the new Music Matters 45rpm 12"s for $50 and they'll sound better and look better (nice gatefold). Good album though.

Prices for BN Hank Mobley originals going up, up and away???

Hank Mobley

Another one going even higher; $2,616

Hank Mobley

Insane, especially for a VG+ (or more likely, VG) copy.

Yeah, especially since you can get the new Music Matters 45rpm 12"s for $50 and they'll sound better and look better (nice gatefold). Good album though.

No reissue has ever, will ever, look better than the originals. Period. You can argue about the sound, true, but not the printjobs, textures, cardboard quality, colors. No. Being a gatefold makes no difference.

But yes, 2k is a bit much even for an original.

I keep getting psyched out by a guy who is listing discs 8-10 from the Roland Kirk set for $150.

On what planet is this reasonable?

FWIW, and I have no relationship to the seller, but an Amazon marketplace vendor supposedly has a 'like new' copy of the full set listed for $140 right now.