What was that Mobley picture?

wesbed

I was reading through a thread at the BNBB, maybe a year ago, regarding Hank Mobley. The discussion was about how, at the end of his jazz life, Hank was playing with used/borrowed saxophones that leaked, etc..

The discussion evolved to a description of a picture of Mobley at the end of his tenure. Somebody wrote something like, “Yeah, I saw that picture and he looked like shit.”

Does anybody know this picture or a link to it?

Edited by wesbed

I think it was either Dan or Greg but when I asked that they repost it, one of them said they'd lost the image. I remember when that picture was posted back in 1999 or 2000 and I remember saying at the time that I didn't want to see that picture again. I still don't want to see that picture.

• 8 months later...

I'm with Brad and Shawn (hey is that Barton Fink in your avatar?) I don't think I really want or need to see such a picture. Hank is my man, and I dont want to think of the withered sick old man he might have become. It's difficult to even imagine with such a fate. I'd rather relish the purity and beauty of his music!

Chuck,

Is the 'Early Morning Stroll' recorded at the Montoliu session the same tune that appears on The Breakthrough? There is some confusion because on The Flip, 'Early Morning Stroll' is a different tune, and the one labeled '18th Hole' is identical to the one labeled 'Early Morning Stroll' on The Breakthrough.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Well, what happened is that I had the CD and sent a scan to Greg, who hosted it on his website and subsequently lost the image.

The good news is, I now have a scanner myself and could either post it on a new thread later tonite or else e-mail copies to people.

It was an interesting discussion-in addition to looking much older than he did at the end of his Blue Note career, I felt there was something very empty and hurt in Hank's eyes. Others said it looked like he was reading sheet music slightly off camera-and yet, the tune on the Cd is Autumn Leaves-he needed sheet music for that? But, as Chuck says, he recorded other tunes on the date but Autumn Leaves was regarded as releasable when the CD came out.

Anyway, I'll do something tonite, and post, maybe with a warning not to open if you don't wish to see "the picture".

Guys, I tried my best to upload this sucker, made sure it was under 100K and an uploadable format but it won't happen for me!

I've sent it to B3er however, so hopefully he can do something.

Otherwise, I could send the image to people, if you can handle 1 MB attachments. :)

• 1 year later...

I have not seen the photo in question, but do have two other 8 x 10 prints from this recording session. While gray-haired, Hank looks fine in these photos. Maybe a bad choice was made for the cd package.

For those interested, Hank also recorded his "Early Morning Stroll" at that session.

Yes, Chuck.

On that March 22, 1980 session for SteepleChase, Hank Mobley plays on "Autum leaves", on an unissued take of "I wanna talk about you" (there´s a trio version that was released in the LP and CD editions) and on an unissued "Early morning stroll".

The photo of Hank Mobley included in the inside artwork is not so depressing to these eyes. A gray haired man blowing his horn to a big microphone, eyes looking to another direction. Sorry but I don´t see that "empty and hurt in Hank´s eyes".

I´m afraid I have no scanner and can´t post this picture.

• 1 year later...

I've just heard tghe one released cut, and my first impression was that it was a bari player, that's how dark his tone was.

I think his playing sounds like a rougher version of the style heard on Breakthrough, which, depending on how you feel about that session, may or may not be dissuasive from pursuing the Steeplechase cut. Myself, I think he sounds wholly Mobley apart from the tone (and that too is pure Mobley at its core, in spite of the surface cloudiness). His lines, phrasing, and timing could come from nobody else.

But there is an air of combined sadness and desperation to the emotional vibe that is pretty gut-wrenching. Again, this is a lot like how I hear him on Breakthrough, but I'll readily admit that that's a totally subjective call.

I have to say, after all the buildup about that picture, to me he doesn't look all that bad in it. People get old. So he looks a little older than his chronological age at the time? Hardly surprising considering the tough living many jazz musicians did, particularly of that generation. Hank is Hank and will always be Hank, that's how I see it.