Artists that retired at the top of their game.

Hardbopjazz

A long time ago (when I was young and stupid) I would hear an artist who was no longer at the peak of his/her powers and think "this person should just retire and not embarrass themself anymore".

I now realize that playing is what keeps one alive in mind and body. An artist who "retires" usually does so only because they are physically or mentally incapable of playing anymore, and often they pass away not long after. Giving up what you love to do the most would have to be hard and more than a little discouraging to say the least.

That's why I can enjoy a performance by an artist who may no longer be at the "peak of their powers", and frequently you get to hear the old lions roar one more time. Some of these players at 75% of their previous potential still sound better than some of the "young bucks" who may be at full strength chop-wise, but haven't lived enough to have a whole lot to say.

A long time ago (when I was young and stupid) I would hear an artist who was no longer at the peak of his/her powers and think "this person should just retire and not embarrass themself anymore".

I now realize that playing is what keeps one alive in mind and body. An artist who "retires" usually does so only because they are physically or mentally incapable of playing anymore, and often they pass away not long after. Giving up what you love to do the most would have to be hard and more than a little discouraging to say the least.

That's why I can enjoy a performance by an artist who may no longer be at the "peak of their powers", and frequently you get to hear the old lions roar one more time. Some of these players at 75% of their previous potential still sound better than some of the "young bucks" who may be at full strength chop-wise, but haven't lived enough to have a whole lot to say.

amen. :cool:

Not jazz, but Don Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart).

A lot of what retired van Vliet was illness - he has MS, if I am not mistaken.

Vliet got sick way after he retired from music, iirc.

I agree, I think we should distinguish between "retired" and, well, "forced to retire".

Poeple who can afford making a living by playing/recording but retire volunterely because they feel they are not up to the level they once set, is one thing. I assume it would take a great deal of courage to do it, and probably very few people can (although some should, IMO - has anybody seen Dewey Redman's recent concerts? ... Archie Shepp? Sonny Rollins? Sunny Murray?).

People who are forced to retire (often at their prime) becasue they cannot make a living playing the music are a different case. And there are dozens of names. ESP guys for sure (Giuseppi Logan, in particular); Charles Brakeen... many many others, unfortunately.

Wallington went into the family air conditioning business, as i recall. He used to live in the same neighborhood as Al Haig, who told me he would often see him while walking his dog. I asked Haig, "gee, what do you guys say to each other?" Haig looked at me and answered: " I say, 'hi George.' He says, 'hi Al."

Herbie Nichols retired by dying. If you widen the net to include that scenario, then I could list hundreds of names.

Bertrand.

Isn't that true of all of Chuck's list?

I'm not sure about Eddie Lang.

I'm assuming that Chuck's point was ironic - all of the people he listed died relatively young, while at or near the height of their creativity.

Edited by paul secor