Favorite Ornette tunes (by others) WITH piano

Rooster_Ties

What 'covers' of Ornette tunes, that include piano, work best in your opinion, and why???

And I guess while we're at it -- which one's DON'T work (with piano), and why??? -- as a parallel discussion.

==========

AND, while we're at it - let's also talk about Ornette's few recordings with piano, both very early in his career (including the bootlegs of Ornette's original quartet, with Paul Bley in I think it's 1959), and then again pretty recently - with the pair of "Sound Museum" releases, and the album with Joachim Kühn.

How well does piano work in Ornette's context?? What about it works well, and what doesn't?? How have different players approached his idiom on piano?? I guess then, the question really is...

What the hell is "harmolodic" piano anyway?????? Discuss...

d692916cv1x.jpg

Geri Allen, with Charlie Haden & Paul Motian: Segments (DIW, 1989) ..... Anyone here know this album?? I don't, but I stumbled on it while looking on-line for covers of Ornette with piano. They cover one of my alltime favorite Ornette tunes "Law Years". How is it??

That said, it appears that Geri Allen is one of a very small number of pianists who have taken up Ornette's concepts and really run with them. I'll dig out both volumes of "Sound Museum" (which I haven't heard in at least two years), give them a spin today, and report back my findings.

I saw Kenny Barron playing with Ornette at Avery Fisher Hall a few summers ago, with Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins.

It can work. I think that some people believe that it can't because when the first Ornette stuff was happening, the piano players hadn't figured out how. Now (45 years later), people know. Keith Jarrett is an amazing Ornette-style player (though I don't think he's ever actually recorded an Ornette tune), check out his American quartet stuff with ex-Colemanites Redman and Haden.

The Hillcrest recordings are from fall 1958. Earlier that year there are the sessions with Walter Norris for Contemporary.

Mike

This is not really responding to the question at hand, but since Mike mentioned the date with Walter Norris, I thought I'd chime in and say that I've always been a huge fan of Something Else!!!, and I don't even know why. It would seem like Tomorrow is the Question would be the "better" record of Coleman's two Contemporary sessions, as his musical vision seems more developed here, but the debut recording has always had a special place in my listening to Ornette. The piano here seems to work (though I've read elsewhere that it was "already" gratuitous), and the compositions ... that's why I like this album so much. Beginning with "Invisible" (which I'm guessing is what Ornette felt a lot like at the very beginning of his career), the ride gets even better. This session has additionally seemed to me like a good example of Billy Higgins' freer side, even though it's 1958. I've never heard him quite play like this on any other session.

• 6 years later...

In the liner notes to Joachim Kuhn's album "Piano Works I / Allegro Vivace" on ACT records he claims to know "a substaintial repertoire of 'over 150 pieces' by the alto saxophonist, many of which haven't appeared on CD releases." On that album Kuhn records "She and he Is Who Fenn Love" and "Allotropes, Elements Different Forms or Same" by Coleman.

Additionally, Kuhn taught one of those unrecorded Coleman melodies to Bobo Stenson who recorded it on the recent trio album "Cantando" (ECM). It's called "A Fixed Goal."

Interesting that previously unrecorded, or undocumented, Coleman compositions are entering the world as piano repertoire.

Lots of mention of Geri Allen here, with good reason - she's one of the best pianistic interpreters of Ornette's music. But nobody has mentioned her mid-90s Blue Note album Eyes in the Back of Your Head. It includes two duets with OC, "Vertical Flowing" and "The Eyes Have It," both co-credited to Coleman and Allen. I don't like the way Ornette's saxophone is recorded, but the music is excellent.

Can't believe I forgot this one yesterday - Marian McPartland's Twilight World album (recorded when she was 89!) contains versions of "Turnaround" and "Lonely Woman." Both are very original, while true to the spirit of Ornette's tunes. I expected "Turnaround" to just be another blues in C in Marian's hands, but nope - it's definitely a very idiomatic improvisation on the OC piece.

Apart from Kuhn, the pianist I associate most closely with Coleman's work is Bobo Stenson. In addition to the Coleman piece mentioned upthread, Stenson has recorded a number of others. On the album War Orphans we hear "All My Life" and the title track, which features Anders Jormin slowly moving from rhythmic to melodic playing in a way I really like. Stenson's albums Goodbye, Underwear, and Very Early also feature Coleman tunes, as well as a couple more within the group led by Don Cherry's on Dona Nostra.

Jack Wilson also did a version of "The Sphinx" that I'm partial to, and there was also Hutcherson's boppish take on "Una Muy Bonita," which is fantastic in its own way. A lot of "mainstream" folks took to Ornette's themes like fish to water (did I just mangle that idiom?).

Some early versions of OC tunes on the Night Lights Ornette Coleman Songbook show (including the Wilson recording--but somehow I overlooked Bobby H.'s...from STICK-UP, right?).

Edited by ghost of miles