What Mosaics Can We Safely Unload?

Not that I want to, but at this point some of the Mosaic sets (ground-breaking at the time of their release) are almost superfluous given that individual CD's and sets of the same material have been issued. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of the Paul Desmond, Grant Green, Art Blakey, the Chet Baker "Live," Lee Morgan, maybe the "Candid" Mingus... (And most of the Larry Young and Jackie McLean...) Anything else?

Everything from the Andrew Hill Mosaic is getting awfully close to being readily available. I'm going to hold on to my copy anyway -- it's nice to have it all in one place, and the book is indispensable.

I'm thinking that most of the Candid Cecil Taylor is available elsewhere, except for maybe a few alternate takes?

I'm with Hans, I've kept some Mosaics because the sound is better than releases afterwards. (Nichols and Green are cases in point.

I've also sold Mosaics when I needed the dough, "safe" or not.

Edited by jazzbo

The Grant Green, also. I believe that much of it is in "THE COMPLETE QUARTETS WITH SONNY CLARK".

That one's already been mentioned. The Green Mosaic has dates with Ike Quebec that aren't on the Blue Note double; that set only has the sessions with Sonny Clark. The Quebec dates are (were?) available elsewhere.

The Grant Green, also. I believe that much of it is in "THE COMPLETE QUARTETS WITH SONNY CLARK".

That one's already been mentioned. The Green Mosaic has dates with Ike Quebec that aren't on the Blue Note double; that set only has the sessions with Sonny Clark. The Quebec dates are (were?) available elsewhere.

Oh.........right.

Feel free to ignore my post. :o

Another one that's relatively easy to get are all the Don Cherry BN recordings (all three).

As a result, I recently traded my 2-disc Cherry Mosaic (the first Mosaic I ever bought, I might add), in exchange for a brand new 4-disc Byrd/Adams set - just a few days before the Byrd/Adams went OOP (a pretty good trade up, me thought).

What about the Quebec? That was reissued not long ago. Didn't pick it up since I had the Mosaic. I unloaded the Brooks LP Mosaic since I had all the CDs and they were more accessible.

I take it you're referring to the Quebec 45 Sessions, not the Quebec/Hardee Mosaic, which hasn't been reissued outside Japan, at least not in complete form as far as I know.

The Blakey box... Night in Tunisia, Witch Doctor, Roots & Herbs, The Big Beat, Like Someone In Love, Freedom Rider, Africaine, one of the 2 "live" Jazz Corner of the World sessions... What am I forgetting? Does Drums Around the World have any of this material? Anyway, all these have been out.

The Thelonious Monks, the Clifford Brown, the Gerry Mulligan Quartet, the Art Pepper Pacific Jazz....

I agree that these have been superceded. But we also should remember that over 20 years ago, when Mosaic first issued them, these seminal sessions were unavailable in the U.S.

Not only that, but Mosaic demonstrated to the industry that there was a market for these "completist" sets, which have since become legion.

The Blakely Mosaic includes both vols. of Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World. It does not include Africane. It does include Pisces which has been relased in Japan only. Here's the list as per the Mosaic booklet:

The Big Beat

A Night in Tunisia

Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 1

Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 2

The Freedom Rider

Like Someone in Love

The Witch Doctor

Roots & Herbs

Pisces

The Thelonious Monks, the Clifford Brown, the Gerry Mulligan Quartet, the Art Pepper Pacific Jazz....

I agree that these have been superceded. But we also should remember that over 20 years ago, when Mosaic first issued them, these seminal sessions were unavailable in the U.S.

Not only that, but Mosaic demonstrated to the industry that there was a market for these "completist" sets, which have since become legion.

Not to mention that the books are nice.

Thanks couw -- I couldn't remember which Art Blakey CD's contained the "Pisces" bonus tracks. I love both those CD's, I'll have to go back and take a listen again. :tup

I had thought of putting my own Blakey "CDR set" together for myself from all the single CD's that I have but never got around to it -- of course, I wouldn't have the fantastic book that always comes with the Mosaic sets.

I have over 20+ Mosaic Sets (plus all the Selects) but I could never sell any of them -- I'd have to sell off all of my other CD's before I ever unloaded a Mosaic!!! :wub:

Not to mention that the books are nice.

That, too.