Henry Coker: trombone

Sahib Shihab: alto saxophone

Joe Alexander: tenor saxophone

Cecil Payne: baritone saxophone

Tadd Dameron: piano

John Simmons: bass

Shadow Wilson: drums

recorded March 9, 1956

My only gripe — the album's too short! I wish it could go on for at least twice as long.

... and Alexander really shines on his solo spots. I can't say that I know of anything he's done outside of this one album. Was he on any other Prestige sessions?

Though Mating Call seems to get the most attention of Dameron's mid-50's work, this is the album of his that I return to most often. Something almost "haunting" about it, even on the more uptemo pieces.

... and Alexander really shines on his solo spots. I can't say that I know of anything he's done outside of this one album. Was he on any other Prestige sessions?

Alexander made one album as a leader:

Blue Jubilee - Jazzland JLP-23

Recorded in NYC on June 20, 1960

Personnel:

Johnny Hunt - trumpet, fluegelhorn

Joe Alexander (leader) - tenor saxophone

Bobby Timmons - piano

Sam Jones - bass

Al Heath - drums

Tracks:

Blue Jubilee

Weird Beard

Brown's Town

I'll Close My Eyes

Terri's Blues

Interesting theory, Allen. I do hear a parallel.

Now — does anyone think Concord will release that Alexander album? Hmm?

This is going to sound like a strange comparison ... but the way Tadd Dameron stikes the keys — sometimes reminds me of Ran Blake. (Or maybe vise versa.) Am I crazy?

Another fan here - this is some of the most beautiful jazz I have heard! Well, I'm a Dameron nut, sharing his birthday ..... great soloing all around.

Re the piano attack: Dameron always talked about himself playing only arranger's piano, but due to this I think one hears the stark quality that makes one think of Ran Blake and the like.

This one, The Magic Touch and the Clifford Brown Memorial Album put Dameron's sound in ideal perspective. Sort of combining the small band with the big.

Allen, guitarist Gene Bertoncini recorded in a medley "On A Misty Night/Giant Steps" and I heard him do it in concert several times. Interesting insight.....

Listening to Tadd on Clifford Brown's Prestige Memorial at the moment — I think it's Dameron's use of dynamics that reminds me of Blake. (Though "stark" is certainly a good word for both pianists.)

Not to derail the thread too much, but what would your "dream" Dameron band be? Or, to put it another way, who would you most like to hear play Dameron's compositions and arrangements? For fun, let's say it's the mid-50's. I'd go with:

~ for brass:

Clifford Brown: trumpet

Julius Watkins: French horn

Frank Rosolino: trombone

Bill Barber: tuba

~ for reeds:

Charlie Mariano: alto saxophone

Bill Perkins: tenor saxophone

Danny Bank: baritone saxophone

~ with:

Tadd Dameron: piano

Wilbur Ware: bass

Philly Joe Jones: drums

Candido: conga

Not a very likely conglomeration, but I'd love to hear how these guys would tackle Tadd's charts ...

Sahib Shihab (on baritone especially) and Cecil Payne of course would be great — two of my favorite under-remarked saxophonists. I was just having fun mixing so-called "Coasts". (A person can't knock Henry Coker on trombone for his contributions to Dameron recordings, either. Great sound.)

Actually, on drums, I'd like to hear Roy Haynes with Dameron.

Yes, Fats with Tadd has that extra sprinkle of magic ...

A great record, everything by Tadd Dameron is essential listening.

Agree with this statement 100 percent. Certainly one of the most unique/identifiable of arrangers/composers.

I do think Lovano did a very loving tribute to Dameron with 52nd Street Themes.

Yeah, the two Uptown Dameronia recordings are on my wish list for CD release and no, I'm not holding my breath!

There was also a wonderful concert (I was in attendance) at Alice Tully Hall in 1988 and it was a tribute to Dameron. Walter Davis Jr., Kenny Washington, Charlie Rouse, Tommy Flanagan - all the guys individually and as "Dameronia" - played beautifully. Probably one of the most memorable jazz concerts I ever attended.

Marla