Cruising towards half a million posts

Just noticed that we're moving up fast on the 500,000 mark.

Does this include the stuff "dropped" a couple of months back? I know I "lost" about 3000 in my tally.

No posts were lost in the database problem. Your tally probably lost a bunch of posts due to you deleting posts over the years (since when you delete a post, your post count doesn't reflect that change). That combined with the need to recount the individual post tallies most likely accounts for the "lost" posts.

Hmmm.... I'm trying to run the query from the admin panel to recount posts, but it keeps timing out after only getting through member 20 (of over 1300). So... if your post count is messed up and you'd like me to manually run the query, let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to try and see if I can get this thing to work without timing out.

Chuck, is your post count better now? You are member 10, so the query should've run on you.

Hmmm.... I'm trying to run the query from the admin panel to recount posts, but it keeps timing out after only getting through member 20 (of over 1300). So... if your post count is messed up and you'd like me to manually run the query, let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to try and see if I can get this thing to work without timing out.

Chuck, is your post count better now? You are member 10, so the query should've run on you.

Jim, I really don't care about my total. When I brought it up it was in relation to the total board statistics.

Jim, I really don't care about my total. When I brought it up it was in relation to the total board statistics.

The board statistics have been reset many times (ie, posts recounted, last member joined reset, total users online at once reset (although that probably needs to be done again, since 311 is mighty high). So I believe our post count is accurate.

Just to clarify: When I said I was having trouble recounting posts, that was for individual member posts, which is a server-intensive process and with almost 500,000 posts, takes quite awhile. The browser window kept timing out before the operation completes, which effectively terminates the query and the process stops. If I could find a way for the browser not to time out, I could compelte it in one fell swoop. As is, I have to manually do it to recount individual posts.

The overall board posts, however, is much easier and quicker to determine and that has been reset many times.

Again, no posts were lost in the database error, but it effectively set your post counts back to June/July 2005 levels, since your post count number is stored in the part of the database that was lost and had to be restored from the June/July 2005 backup.

In other words, all your posts are there, but they need to be recounted and your post count rebuilt, which there is a query for, but that query suffers from timing out when I try to run it on all members at once.

Every post lost in my post count is crucial, because I am wound incredibly tight. I am a very highly competitive Type A personality, and must win in every situation. Excellence is the least that will satisfy me. Every lost post in my post count is thus like a direct slap in the face, a wound to me. It is unfair to lose post counts which I worked so hard to achieve, sacrificed so much for--I deserve my high post count. While I am many thousands of posts behind some members, I will catch up shortly. In the words of Vince Lombardi, "when we get to the goal line, nothing can stop us--not a tank, not a wall, not a dozen men."

I think that I did not lose any posts in my post count when the board went down, though.