Sam Rivers in Austin Texas

With the Gerry Gibbs Trio at the Elephant Room. Once again, I don't know how this shit is happening, but if luck holds, I'll be seeing Sam Rivers for 6 bucks here in town. Amazing. I don't know how Gerry Gibbs pulls this stuff off. But I feel inclined to kiss his ass at this point. He's brought in Dewey Redman, Tom Harrell and now Sam Rivers and that's been in the last 3 months! Hey, at this rate, I won't need to go to NYC anymore to catch some of the jazz world's finest. :tup:party:

Soul Stream,

How was Dewey Redman? Who was in the band?

Thanks in advance,

Bertrand.

Bertrand, Dewey played with the same pickup band as the rest. Gerry Gibbs (Terry Gibb's son) on drums with a local pianist and bassist.

Dewey Redman was simply amazing. He came out and played 2nd Balcony Jump at a nice medium tempo and proceeded to groove from there. He was wonderful and a true master at reading an audience. He blew me away. His range of material was quite extraordinary. A true Texas Tenor. He played everything from the blues to the avant guarde, all with heart and expertise. That guy IS jazz! Can't believe he's not more well known or appreciated at this point in his life.

Dewey's more "inside" playing is some of the best tenor playing I've yet encountered - right up there with my favorites like Joe Henderson and Wayne Shorter.

Not to say that his more "outside" stuff is anything to sneeze at --- it's just that I think Dewey's "inside" playing is WAY underappreciated.

Same thing with Sam Rivers, though there's less "inside" Sam Rivers on record, it seems.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Hey Soul, thanks for posting this. I let a few people know about it that hadn't heard, so maybe that will help (one is in a position to get the word "out" and will.) Not sure if I'm going to get to go but I might!

Hey Lon, let me know if you might make it. I'd love to meet you. Provided I can make it too! :D

Too bad. But I know the feeling. Gigs almost always happen when guys like Sam Rivers are in town! <_< Anyway, I'll try and keep an eye out for future happenings. Acually, I ought to just get on Gerry Gibbs e-mail list. He's the ONLY guy bringing guys like this to Austin. How, I'm not sure. But even the One World Theatre and Bates at UT rarely do better than this. Plus these gigs are totally under the radar screen. So, I'll definately keep you posted Jim! :D

Sam Rivers was really great last night. Completely different from the other two times I've heard him live (solo, and with his trio). Sam was playing with a pickup band (Gerry Gibbs Trio), so he brought his book, and they played some wonderful versions of old Sam favorites and new pieces.

My personal favorite was his mid-tempo tenor sax rendition of Beatrice...REALLY swinging. That was the highlight for me. He also created a melody on the spot and swung it to death in B natural. I talked to him after the 2nd set and, like a nerd, requested Fuscia Swing Song. His eyes kind of lit up and he said..."I almost brought that music with me!!!" Too bad, I would have loved to hear it. And with this band, the music sounded more like Sam's Blue Note era since he was keeping it more basic structure-wise. But I thought the band did a great job backing him up. I REALLY enjoyed it. Especially the second set since I stood right by the stage.

Also, not only did I get a chance to talk to Sam...but I ALSO ME THE INFAMOUS LON!!!! Met Lon and his wonderful wife Helen. Great to put a face with the Jazzbo name finally! :D

Yes, Mike it was really nice to meet you and I enjoyed our talk! Helen and I saw the entire first set and then it was time for us to leave. . . I did so pretty reluctantly, but boy was I tired. I did get to shake Sam's hand and thank him for the wonderful listening though as he was sitting on a bus bench outside the club as we left! What a nice man. I agree that the Gibbs Trio did an excellent job backing Sam, and I was especially glad to see that bassist Hamilton Price was in the trio; he's an excellent young player that I saw in action a week and a half ago in San Antonio (soon to be his new home) at the excellent club "The Landing."

I'm so envious that you got to hear Sam play "Beatrice"---I was hoping that would be among the tunes in the first set and it wasn't. But I'm very glad that I got to hear him play all three of the instruments he brought (he played three soprano numbers, two tenor and two flute that first set) and he was in great form. For a 79 year old he had energy and wind and grace and a really dignified presence.

Let's hope he comes through again!

Edited by jazzbo

I don't believe he is actually going to be playing with Cullum. Last night he was simply announced as moving to San Anton next week, and I saw him on a Wednesday night at the Landing when Cullum was out of town for the week. Could be he's just going to continue to make the bigger city scene. He was playing with a few regulars who billed themselves as the Landing All Stars---guys who play there a lot with other bands not together. They did 85% (I calculated it) Ellington tunes the time I was there, and I had no complaints. Price was pretty impressive: he swung and he soloed really well. For the last tune I saw they called "Avalon" and he looked blank. . . he didn't know the tune! They told him where the bridge was and they took off and he was killer on it, with his best solo yet.

He's a contender Jim, and seems like a nice guy.

Edited by jazzbo

'm so envious that you got to hear Sam play "Beatrice"---I was hoping that would be among the tunes in the first set and it wasn't.

Yeah, I'm glad I got to hear him do it. Especially in a swing/shuffle style. Pretty amazing. Man, his tone is so unchanged from that very first solo album until today. Beautiful stuff.

That's cool you saw him outside. He really IS turning 80 next month, but the years seem to barely phase him. I noticed that during the second set, he would walk down the hall and crouch/sit....listening to the band, resting a bit.

Sam Rivers for $6....hey, like I told Lon...it cost me $5 to PARK MY CAR!!! :rolleyes: