Artists immediately identifiable by their sound

connoisseur series500

Name some jazz players who are instantly recognizable by their sound.

To me, John Coltrane is instantly recognizable. So is Andrew Hill. Grant Green, as Soul Stream mentioned on his thread. Jackie Mclean has his own very identifiable sound. Louis Armstrong. Gene Harris is very recognizable.

Let's hear some other names.

All the jazz greats have their signature. Listen to a quick sample of Armstrong, Parker, Prez, Hawkins, Webster Coltrane, Monk or Miles, and you know instantly who's playing.

Same goes for Lee Morgan, McLean, Hill, Pepper, Ayler, CT.

And how about Mingus? LaFaro? Wilbur Ware? Paul Chambers? When you hear them,

you know instantly who's on bass.

Jackie McLean is a real distinctive voice. I ALWAYS know him, whereas I get lost on with some other famous altos.

Also, I'm usually very good at identifying Philly Joe and Sonny Clark, as well as Paul Chambers. Richard Davis is another bassist who has a certain way of playing I identify.

Stanley Turrentine is one of the most identifyable Tenor sounds ever.

Max Roach too for drummers.

I agree with Brownie as well. Part of being a "great" jazz musician means having a unique and recognizable voice.

One distinction between great jazz musicans might be how quickly they can be recognized, i.e. part of the greatness of some musicians is that they can be identified right away, only after one or a few notes. It could be a unique tone, a unique approach to bending notes, or phrasing so distinctive it is always immediately apparent. In this category, we have people like Louis Armstrong, Lester Young, Thelonious Monk, Gene Ammons, Lockjaw Davis, Jackie McLean. I tend to love a lot of musicians who give their calling card right away.

Then there are other great musicians who, while maybe not having as individual a tone or delivery of a single note, are always recognizable after a few bars on the basis of their approach to music and improvization. Charlie Parker is a good example.

Edited by John L

All of those already mentioned. Dexter Gordon was the first that came to my mind. Some more that I instantly recognize:

Eddie Harris

Von Freeman

Clark Terry

Duke Ellington (at the piano, not to mention his writing)

Charlie Rouse

Earl Hines

James Spaulding

Jane Ira Bloom

Thad Jones

James Carter

Milt Jackson

Kenny Burrell

Lucky Thompson

That list would be longer than we all expected!

In addition to Monk and McCoy Tyner, one of the most easibly recognisable pianists is definitely Corea. Only one second of his solo gives it away... :D Another one - Herbie Hancock (of course...). Although with all the pianists that base their style on Hancock's playing, it sometimes takes a while - like two seconds... :)