Miles Davis on Columbia/Legacy

Late

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't blame BB if he does walk away after the Cellar Door fiasco.

Bertrand.

I know this is an old threat, but why was the cellar door a fiasco?

artistically? financially?

I like listening to that box, since I purchased it last year...

JB

Edited by JohnBlutarski

The "fiasco" was the politics/egos/bs involved in the delays of issue. Probably to long and involve to get into here. Enough to say Bob Belden and the label were "abused" by the "estate".

ah, thanks for the fast reply!

and I hope the "On The Corner" box will really see its release this year!

JB

From the Miles Beyond site:

"The problem remains the Miles Davis Estate, and mainly Miles's nephew, Vince Wilburn. A few weeks before the original release date last September he wanted the credits of Adam Holzman and Bob Belden changed from 'produced by' to 'compiled by.' Understandably, this was not something these two, or Sony, were happy about. Moreover, the Cellar Door set had been more than five years in the making, and Belden's and Holzman's involvement must have been clear for ages, so the timing of the demand reeked of a hidden agenda...."

That explains the sticker on the credits page.

Lots more here: http://www.miles-beyond.com/news.htm

From the Miles Beyond site:

"The problem remains the Miles Davis Estate, and mainly Miles's nephew, Vince Wilburn. A few weeks before the original release date last September he wanted the credits of Adam Holzman and Bob Belden changed from 'produced by' to 'compiled by.' Understandably, this was not something these two, or Sony, were happy about. Moreover, the Cellar Door set had been more than five years in the making, and Belden's and Holzman's involvement must have been clear for ages, so the timing of the demand reeked of a hidden agenda...."

That explains the sticker on the credits page.

Lots more here: http://www.miles-beyond.com/news.htm

I just looked. mine doesn't have a sticker, and it says in print "compiled by"

JB

I just looked. mine doesn't have a sticker, and it says in print "compiled by"

Same here.

If they already had the paperwork printed and assembled, it must have cost them a lot to have the thing re-done.

V.W. must have a big complex about all this. What did he have to do with it all in the first place?

I can understand when Belden and Holzman are pissed off and withdraw from further projects.

I can understand when Belden and Holzman are pissed off and withdraw from further projects.

Don't know about Holzman, but Belden's back for the OTC box project. Seems that him & Vince came to an "understanding". This is good news.

When it comes to the jazz industry, Belden may very well end up being the last man standing. :g

• 4 months later...

Well everyone, keep on passing on "Evolution of the Groove."

Totally MISSABLE if you don't dig remix projects and all.

If you do like them somewhat, this one is only marginably near "okay." I like the Santana remix partly because I like the trumpet solo used, one of my favorite Miles solos. And the final piece ably uses some Miles utterings in a Freedom Jazz Dance pastiche.

There is a little bit of Miles directing the band and talking to the control booth that they're calling a Freddie Freeloader alternate. Not needed.

Thanks to a board member, I did a trade and am now listening to the On the Corner Sessions box advance promo cdrs.

This is going to be a really nice set. . . the unissued music is damned nice.

So I don't have to pick through this entire thread, exactly how much is unissued and what is it?

Well everyone, keep on passing on "Evolution of the Groove."

Totally MISSABLE if you don't dig remix projects and all.

If you do like them somewhat, this one is only marginably near "okay." I like the Santana remix partly because I like the trumpet solo used, one of my favorite Miles solos. And the final piece ably uses some Miles utterings in a Freedom Jazz Dance pastiche.

There is a little bit of Miles directing the band and talking to the control booth that they're calling a Freddie Freeloader alternate. Not needed.

I've just heard two - "Black Satin" & "It's About That Time". I like both (especially the latter), not blown away by either. But they're better than I had feared. Some interesting beatcraft & pulling together of chronologically disperate elelments that works, I think.

Don't know about the rest of the EP, but these two seem to me like doing what Teo originally did (hell a lot of that shit was highly "remixed" in ways very similar to these before it even went to presses the first time...) taken to the next logical phase. A full-length CD of this type thing done this way would be too much (Panthalassa this ain't, not by any means, but I don't think it's trying to be...), but at EP prices (and EP durations - even if the rest of it sucks, two likeable cuts on an EP is ok), I'll probably bite at some point.

Not in any real hurry though...

Yeah, no need to be in a real hurry Jim. Might even find it really dirt cheap in a half-price cd bin.

7/4: here's the tracklisting:

Disc ONE

1. On The Corner - (Unedited Master)

2. On The Corner - (Take 4)

3. One And One - (Unedited Master)

4. Helen Butte / Mr. Freedom X - (Unedited Master)

5. Jabali - (Demo)

DISC 2:

1. Ife

2. Chieftain

3. Rated X

4. Turnaround

5. U-Turnaround

DISC 3:

1. Billy Preston

2. Hen, The

3. Big Fun / Holly-wuud - (Take 2)

4. Big Fun / Holly-wuud - (Take 3)

5. Peace

6. Mr. Foster

DISC 4:

1. Calypso Frelimo

2. He Loved Him Madly

DISC 5:

1. Maiysha

2. Mtume

3. Mtume - (Take 11)

4. Hip-Skip

5. What They Do

6. Minnie

DISC 6:

1. Red China Blues

2. On The Corner / New York Girl / Thinkin' Of One Thing And Doin' Another / Vote For Miles

3. Black Satin

4. One And One

5. Medley

6. Big Fun

7. Holly-wuud

I think the bolded items are all previously unreleased. Nice to have some of these in studio versions; the themes are recognizable from the live material.

Edited by jazzbo