Hank Mobley

Jazz Kat

1784.jpg

I love this album! I just bought the RVG two weeks ago. Most reviewers hated it on bluenote.com. What are your thoughts? I actually like the pop tunes, but the bop numbers are also excellent. Kind of depressing though, knowing what a low point Mobley was going to be shortly after and during the time of this release. He still plays very good. George Benson plays great.

"Reach Out" and particularly "Going Out of My Head" were misfires, imo, but I've always enjoyed the rest of the album. So while I don't dismiss it completely as some do, at the same time, its probably the closest I know to "non-essential" Hank.

And Hank is very essential to me!

Listened again - with irreproachable care - and still didn't like it. I wouldn't go quite so far as to say I hate it, or even to say that it's awful or really bad, but I'd certainly reach for any other Hank title in my collection before this one. It will be a while before this one gets another spin in my system.

To each their own...

Enjoyed it when I had it, but my copy wasn't in that great condition and since has left the building... I too remember Benson sounding quite nice on it.

I agree with majority opinion here. I find it to be a good, but not great, album. But good is still pretty damn good. :)

nbn3%20257.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's the only Mobley album I don't have yet. Guess I'll give it a try next year.

Yesterday I completed my collection of Mobley-led albums. Woohoo! :party:

I've been listening to Reach Out for a couple of hours now and I like it!

I'd certainly call it underrated based on my enjoyment of the album so far.

Edited by Kyo

Love it, love it, love it. One of my favourite Benson on Blue Note dates too. The other being Taru from Lee Morgan. BTW, has there ever been a thread on discussing opnions on Benson's rare appearances on the label?

There should be!

I'm with the folks who class this album as minor Mobley; however, it's certainly not irredeemable. "Minor" doesn't mean "bad." Come to think of it, I find I like this album more than the Thinking Of Home LP---there's something about the sound of the latter that I find a bit off-putting, and I think Mobley's playing isn't as good.