Vinyl fu@#-ups support group session is now open.

Dmitry

I just dropped a VG+ original deep groove Mono pressing of "Grooving At Smalls Paradise, Vol.1" to the floor and made a friggin deep gash in it. It was a beautiful playing copy, not a skip. Not any more. What a shame.... :crazy:

Good thing my wife and daughter are not at the house; let's just say I am not shy with expletives in times like this.

Does anyone have stories of their own fuck-ups?

I got another one - I once cooked Benny Golson's "Take a Number from 1 to 10" in the oven. Was trying to flatten a slight warp between two panes of heavy glass, got carried away and by the time I remembered, it looked like a charred Passover matzoh.

A word of advice - never play records that are dear to you when you're drunk, stoned, dead tired or all of the above.

I'm pissed at myself. :tdown

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I pick a rockin' house party as the time to bring out my near mint original copy of Speakin' my Piece? "Yeah, Nat, flip it over" (yes, that's me directing a completely unknowing partygoer to stop my Thorens TD160, take off the record, switch it, and start it again). "Whoops!" "What?" Yes, Speakin' My Piece lands on the slate floor, and the offending party, reaching to grab it (five second rule?) actually STEPS ON IT, and it slides, underfoot, four feet across the floor.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF was I thinking?

Led to the institution of the following rule: no drinking and playing.

Damn. :(

I was not drunk (believe me :angry: ) when I accidentally dropped that recently acquired original 'The Stratus Seekers', the George Russell Riverside years ago. It left a one-inch hole in the vinyl :o

Kept the album but whenever I want to listen to the music I turn to the OJC reissue!

... several years ago i moved in a new flat and the first night i played a miles davis album called round midnight (which fit to the situation). in the morning when going to work i let it on the turntable. big mistake - from this day on i was always looking where to place my hi-fi and have an eye on the SUN !!! (winter and summertime)!

this record was so warped ....

One morning last year i found my 1 1/2 years old daughter "playing" with my original copy of "After Hours" (prestige 7118)... She was trying to pull the record out of the cover... When i realise that she was able to access to the collection, and moved all the shelves in another room. Since now she knows that "its forbidden to touch dad's discs"

mine was twice.....a new copy of Reuben Wilson Groovy Situation that was dropped ..big scratch.even bigger sulk

Second was my (then baby) son playing at being djs while I had my back turn with my nice clean copy of Electric Byrd.........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thing is .....it sounded better after

I bought a used Nitty Gritty machine which unknown to me had a defective intake which left some tiny scratches 360 degrees on a couple of places on the lp surface. Ruined a half dozen vinyls, nothing valuable but one, my prized Japanese Complete John Williams on Emarcy, took years to replace. I wouldn't have called it a rare record but it seems to be difficult to find. Finally a very good friend gave me his copy.

I've since repaired the Nitty Gritty and it's served me well.

I had a dog once by the name of Beanbag. Best dog I ever had and the smartest, but he had a neurotic side that would put the cast of Seinfeld to shame. One weekend I went down to an concert in Salem (I think it was The Animals) and Beanbag, who really liked to go for rides but didn't get to go that night, decided to take out the oversight on my vinyl collection. When I got home, all my records and their covers were strewn about the front room. The records were mostly OK, but the covers were shot...all chewed up. I still have the copy of The Stones "Sticky Fingers" but the front flap (and the zipper) is gone. I was so pissed I didn't talk to the Beaner for days. He also pulled over a Christmas tree once to get at the cookies I'd hung as ornaments, but that's a story for another time and another place.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

One that happened recently that I witnessed was when Davy Jones of the Monkees was in town for a show and had a meet-n-greet at a local record store. I was standing in line by this lady who had a mono copy of the first Monkees album. The record somehow managed to fall out of the sleeve and landed on its side on the cement floor. She now has two pieces of the Monkees album. :w

But the worst one happened to me, and I think this may have all of you beat. A friend loaned me a box of 78s, one of which was Duke's "Perdido." I was loading the records back into the box for return to my friend, and the Duke record slipped out of my hands, landing on the other records. None of the other records were affected, but the Duke record broke into three pieces. Needless to say, I was scared for my life at that point. My friend forgave me, thankfully; but I was never allowed near her records again! ;)

I had a similar experience to Tom with a Little Richard LP in '62. This was an RCA Camden comp of all 8 of the tracks he'd recorded for RCA Victor in Atlanta in the early '50s, plus four pretty good cuts by the Buck Ram big band. Rushing to get the tube, left the LP on the bed. Not a pretty sight when I returned.

They've never reissued this particular combination. Mostly, the Little Richard tracks have been coupled with some by Roy Orbison (!).

Not long after, my landlady's cat leapt on the turntable while Dakota Staton's "More than the most" was spinning. She did pay me for a new one, though.

You'd have thought a spinning record would be a marvellous cat attractor, but neither of our own cats ever took any notice of the turntable.

I have bust at least 2 45s simply by flexing them! What an effin' cretin! Ray Charles' "Sticks and stones" and Phil Upchurch's "You can't sit down". Both were UK issues (which sold about 6 copies) and MUCH rarer than the US hit originals.

MG

Two f'ups. First when I was much younger and poorer when record buying was an something that didn't happen too often Dave Brubeck's Jazz goes to Junior College slipped out of the sleeve, landed on a stone step and a chunk bite size chunk was knocked out of it. I don't think this album has had a US or Euro reissue to date.

More recently I was cleaning a vinyl copy of Mobley's Straight No Filter (it had got a little mould growth through being stored in the cellar -bad move)

when my hand slipped and I now have a record with two finger mark gouges across the opening track.

Another one, this one more recent: I read on the Hoffman forum about using Elmer's wood glue to clean a record. Rather than try it on a record of no value to see if it actually worked, I tried it on my Charles Lloyd OF COURSE, OF COURSE mono copy. It didn't work, naturally.

You'd think that after 36+ years of nonstop stupidity, I'd learn something once in a while. :crazy:

Left the door to the rekkid room open, and one of the cats decided to use the LP spines as a scratching post. Luckily, the stacks of more recent acquisitions on the floor ended up protecting the area housing the genres I really care about. That said, they got to the "rock/pop" section, letters R and S. Casualties included the first Silver Apples album on Kapp (not really rock/pop; why didn't you have it with the moog/electronic records, dummy?) and the Rutles.

Edited by Teasing the Korean